First of all I must thank tiny4579 for all of the hours he spent with me on this project and for his kernel that makes it possible for this to work on GingerSense roms. This has been a great team effort.
If you install any of these mods, on a Sense rom, Tiny's 10/15 kernel with wireless "n" support will be installed. On AOSP your currently installed kernel will be used.
There are 3 versions of this mod (choose ONE):
- The normal_data mod just converts your /data and /cache partitions to the ext4 filesystem type for better all around real world performance and makes the necessary changes for this to work with your currently installed rom.
- The no_data_limit_normal_dalvik mod (no 150MB data limit) does the above conversion but also removes the linking of /data/data to that small 150MB partition that causes the low space issues. It instead uses a subfolder of your 750MB /data partition to hold these files. It copies the data from your datadata partition, to this new subfolder and keeps the permissions in tact so that your phone doesn't know the difference. The old datadata partition is unused after this.
- The no_data_limit_dalvik_moved mod does exactly what mod 2 does but then uses the unused datadata partition for your /data/dalvik-cache folder.
*If you use the no_data_limit_dalvik_moved mod and need to wipe your dalvik-cache, flash the wipe_dalvik zip file.
**Disclaimer: This mod has a ZERO percent chance of bricking your phone but You, and only YOU, are responsible for what you do to your phone.
- If you flashed a version lower than v1.0 of the no_data_limit script, READ THIS!
- Reboot into recovery and make a good nandroid backup
- Either flash the rom you want to use, Restore a nandroid or skip this step to convert for your currently installed rom
- Flash either the normal_data convert script or the no_data_limit convert script, depending on what you want
- Next click the "Thanks" button for Tiny (post #2) and For Me! Then Enjoy!
- If you want to confirm that the mod worked, run this from adb shell or teminal emulator:
mount | grep ext4
To Move Dalvik Back to Normal Location:
- Flash this. (Thanks cmlusco!)
- Just do a full wipe in CWM
- Flash a fresh rom or restore a pre Ext4 backup
If you upgrade your rom after converting (Like a flashover update)
- Re-run the mod as the last thing while in recovery after flashing the update.