Bricked-Kernel v1.4r1 killed my screen

Search This thread

DuratecPaul

Nov 1, 2011
Adelaide
Hi Guys not trying to scare anyone couldnt post in developers section, so brought it out here.
Was running RevolutionHD 4.1.5 and wanted to use the 2-way phone recorder.
so installed Bricked-Kernel v1.4r1 installed the radio and cleared dalvik cache and installed system tuner pro so I could underclock 50%.
I noticed it was getting very hot right bottom side under sd microSD card and the screw at right bottom was 70c plus. So I am leaning towards graphics chip being over clocked to far and damaging the connector.
The screen faded to black so i turned it off pulled battery let it cool down and tried a reboot.
System boots and buttons are responsive, no screen , backlights are there.
heat build up is quick and really hot.
Also just connecting the battery, it lights up and starts generating heat.
but still can be booted.

I did under clock and set to boot but did not try to undervolt and set to boot.

Not angry or blaming anyone --->> show-p1984 :mad::D

just putting it out there as a report kinda thing.

PaulGiz

Nov 4, 2009
Hi Guys not trying to scare anyone couldnt post in developers section, so brought it out here.
so installed Bricked-Kernel v1.4r1 installed the radio and cleared dalvik cache and installed system tuner pro so I could underclock 50%.
I noticed it was getting very hot right bottom side under sd microSD card and the screw at right bottom was 70c plus. So I am leaning towards graphics chip being over clocked to far and damaging the connector.
The screen faded to black so i turned it off pulled battery let it cool down and tried a reboot.
but still can be booted.

Sorry, I doubt it's the kernel. Sometimes things go wrong when installing software. Something went wrong.

Less likely, but still possible, hardware issue. Things do break sometimes.

Can you boot to recovery or bootloader? Does screen work in recovery? Do you know/use ADB? What happens when you're connected via ADB?

Hope you can sort this out.

P.

Try to enter bootloader. From there You will see if your phone is really damaged. You can also flash stock firmware from there, even blind. It will not be hard. I don't think that kernel is Your LCD killer, so try flashing stock and send it to warranty repair.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

boulder_boy

Sep 20, 2011
London
but still can be booted.

1st Question: Why would you want to underclock by 50% !?!?

2nd Question: What clock speed did you set it at?

3rd Question: Was the Kernel running fine at the default clock speed?

I haven't used system tuner myself - but if i'm not mistaken you can also set the cpu voltages? Did you change anything there OR maybe you had to change the voltage and didn't?

It could also simply be a hardware failure waiting to happen. I had the same problem with my first sensation. After I moved from ARHD 3.5.2 to 3.6.0 my phone died when I was playing a game. This was due to a slightly faulty graphics chip. I use to have random restarts when I was on stock ROM but never thought about why it happened until my phone died.

My phone has been fixed by HTC and is all good now :D

DuratecPaul

Nov 1, 2011
Adelaide
Yeah I Have tried to boot to recovery, But its like hitting baseballs blindfolded.
as for ADB Ive got it and used it be4, but havent tried this option yet, Nor do I know all the commands I need to use... good thing search is here 8)

DuratecPaul

Nov 1, 2011
Adelaide
1st Question: Why would you want to underclock by 50% !?!?
2x 780000 is plenty fast enough helps with the battery and theres not many programs I use that needs more than that speed atm

2nd Question: What clock speed did you set it at?
I had it set to low 34.6mhz and to a high of 96mhz ondemand gov.

3rd Question: Was the Kernel running fine at the default clock speed?
yes but was warm ...nothing abnormal tho
I haven't used system tuner myself
I did the cpu clock, tested for half a day.
then set it to boot. was fine.
I set the voltages lower ran them for other half of day, but never set them to boot.

It could also simply be a hardware failure waiting to happen. I had the same problem with my first sensation. After I moved from ARHD 3.5.2 to 3.6.0 my phone died when I was playing a game. This was due to a slightly faulty graphics chip. I use to have random restarts when I was on stock ROM but never thought about why it happened until my phone died.
Yes Ive had the gaming/App crashes on stock kernal too

My phone has been fixed by HTC and is all good now
Yeah Im considering doing a DIY screen replacement, but Im thinking this wont cure it.
And then you get to sort out that nasty lag with the digitiser after doing it

r3v0Lut10n

Nov 3, 2009
just to be clear. if you boot into recovery (with fully powered off, holding vol- and power button) nothing appears on screen ?

Nekromantik

Apr 1, 2010
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel Watch
Um, minimum clock on most kernels is 192MHz or thereabouts.

If you were really clocked as low as claimed (though I don't see how), I see why phone would blow up.

P.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk

He said his max was 96mhz....you do realise no android phone can run at that max speed? esp a Sense 3 based Sensation. You need at least 400mhz peak freq to be able to use the phone without lag.

but yes that wont cause the screen it go off so not the problem.

wicketr

Jun 27, 2011
Um, minimum clock on most kernels is 192MHz or thereabouts.

If you were really clocked as low as claimed (though I don't see how), I see why phone would blow up.

P.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk

Nah, his phone just hasn't finished booting up yet. It takes a few hours at that speed. :D

DuratecPaul

Nov 1, 2011
Adelaide
aww dang ... yeah was a typo
was 360 and 920mhz.
but still is fried unfortunately and generating heat....

hmm gonna have to use my gal s2 till this gets fixed

fridgeman

Aug 8, 2008
I had something similar with bricked kernel. Installed the one before his latest, phone booted ok but got really hot very quickly, it smelt like a burnt out scalextric car :( . Quickly pulled the battery and restored my backup. Luckily mine still works fine.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

wchiichang

Jan 1, 2011
good luck bro

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

good luck bro..don mess it up

M

mattbutsko

I wouldn't be so quick to deny this as the kernel's fault. I mean, the odds are low, but it is possible. Plus, there is a reason kernel devs, ROM devs, and mod devs always write up a disclaimer, sometimes humorously, stating that it's not their fault if anything happens to the phone. Kernels are direct interaction with the hardware, I've sent bad code to microprocessors before only to have them literally crack open with that nasty, burning component smell.

Some examples that took about 3 minutes to find.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

No Guarantees! If it kills your grandmother or your device, I am NOT responsible! If you understand this:
(If you download, please hit Thanks below my post! Thank you!)

Disclaimer:

You are flashing this at a risk. I am not responsible for any bricked devices! Thanks!

:D

Last edited:

DuratecPaul

Nov 1, 2011
Adelaide
yes checksum's were checked shar's were shar'ed.
cache's cleared and superwiped
I still maintain bricked kernel was the culprit, but I am not blaming but myself.

Just an update to this, the problem still exists but I can plug my hdmi dongle in and see and use the OS (guess that proves I didn't uc/undervolt too much), altho I cant use it to get to recovery.
Im a nub when it comes to ADB, but can use most commands now 8).
its definately graphics chip burn. that 1 corner gets to 80c + within 5mins. which leaves me with no time to flash.
Ive pulled it apart and going to replace the bottom board from here www.parts4repair.com

other than that I picked up a evo3d gsm for cheap and am now playing with that.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
There is an easy way to keep it cool. Take cover off, plug in usb, put the phone in the condom. Immerse in water with ice, but make sure condom "neck" is above water. Flash. Boast to people about water cooled sensation. If flashing different Rom/kernel works-profit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is an easy way to keep it cool. Take cover off, plug in usb, put the phone in the condom. Immerse in water with ice, but make sure condom "neck" is above water. Flash. Boast to people about water cooled sensation. If flashing different Rom/kernel works-profit