New nook color and update for nook touch

Tip us?

apeine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Smile New nook color and update for nook touch

Hello folks,

Right out of the oven: B&N will show on Monday Nov. 7th a new nook color (Engadget, Android Central). Pretty much the same look, size, screen, improved processor and memory, and somewhat lighter.
On Nook touch side, a cheaper nook touch (99 USD), and a new update 1.1 (Engadget). Cheaper and no ads (Amazon anyone?).
Let's wait and see. Lets prepare a touchnooter for 1.1!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apeine For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mdall
Old
Thanks Meter 29
More information about the 1.1 update here.

It seems that multi-touch will be enabled

apeine
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Sweet, I've read that and didn't notice it was multitouch. Pinch to zoom, here we come. Is it rootable???????????

guitar_east
Old
Thanks Meter 23

DONATE TO ME
I have yet to see an Android device NOT get rooted (that people actually want to root).

Multitouch sounds fantastic. I'm hoping they show a much better PDF viewer, similar to the Kobo Touch

Palm Pre -- Nexus One -- Samsung i9000 -- Motorola Milestone -- Nexus One -- HTC Desire Z -- Palm Pre -- HTC Dream -- Motorola Atrix -- HTC Desire HD -- Sony Xperia Play(broken) -- HTC Desire -- HTC Wildfire S -- Samsung Galaxy Note -- LG Optimus One -- HTC Amaze 4G -- Nexus 4 --Huawei Ascend Y300 -- LG E973 (current)

TJay99
Old
Thanks Meter 28
On a related note... should we be concerned with what seems to be an automatic update with our rooted NST's? I rooted after v1.01, but I read of a few horror stories of people who rooted, THEN updated, then bricked their Nooks.

Again, should I be concerned? Should I keep wi-fi off during the update period?

mdall
Old
Thanks Meter 29
If you want to be sure, yes keep your wifi off during the update period.

You can block also the OTA updates doing this or this. (It is for the Nook Color but I guess it should work with the Nook Touch)

Or you can also make a backup now so that you can repair your Nook if there is a problem.

mdall
Old
(Last edited by mdall; 7th November 2011 at 05:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
It is coming https://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Sof...ouch/379003175

I don't have time to test it but if someone (who has made a backup of his nook and who knows what he is doing) could test it and tell us if rooting still works, it would be great

The 1.1 source code is also available (here)

rnook
Old
Thanks Meter 2
With the "Sideload_update.zip" on the desktop, but without time enough to put it into my nook touch rooted! Waiting go home and try ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rnook For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TJay99
Old
Thanks Meter 28
<--- nervously waiting for news....

boardlord
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnook View Post
With the "Sideload_update.zip" on the desktop, but without time enough to put it into my nook touch rooted! Waiting go home and try ...
Sadly they still didn't get it right... The link points to a Nook Color update

Edit: Correct link now