Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,727,987 Members 45,879 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] How to unlock SGS 4G or Vibrant 4G (IMEI Problems fixed)[Updated 11-19-11]

Tip us?

Frostbyrne
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jager555 View Post
for the last time. you guys can call up tmobile and get the phone unlocked for FREE. it is painless and is completely safe. do a search on how to fix the imei. there are 2 or 3 fixes out there.
Having some trouble finding one that works, thanks for the head up about the unlock code. Ill keep trying I guess

tooter1
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Default Successful unlock without messing up IMEI number

My UPDATE:

I did just like the OP stated and, it messed up my IMEI number. Glad I had a backup of the file.

So I went back into the HEX editor (I used HxD editor) and looked where I did the the change and noticed to the right side there were a series of numbers that started at row 41460 and ended on row 41470.

It was an 8 digit series started with 75 ending in 13, something like this 75382313. I was sure it had something to do with the unlock code but, didn't have a different SIM to check.

I sold the phone and, the guy said he had to get it unlocked so he could use it with O2 network (I think).

I text him later that day to ask if he got the phone unlocked, he said no, the place wanted $45 to SIM unlock it.

I told him to try the number listed above and it "SIM UNLOCKED" the phone. He called me back and thanked me many times for saving him $45.

Hope this helps someone else and not mess with the IMEI number!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tooter1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nashi20002003
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Default Exhibit I 4G Successfull

I can confirm both of these methods work on Samsung Exhibit I 4G & Samsung Galaxy S 4G. I first did the manual unlock on SGS4G and it worked fine without IMEI problem. Was able to connect to ATT 3G. Surprised. It worked on 3G ATT even though the specs do not mention HSDPA bands for ATT on SGS4G. (Now I'm in Dallas, don't know if it's 850 or 1900.

I was eager to test Exhibit I 4G as soon as I learned that few days ago a Rooting method was found. I rooted. Next I tried the manual unlock as done before on SGS4G and it worked. Then I read this last post about an unlock code.
So I replaced the original Bin file and tried an ATT sim but got the lock Sim windows request unlock code. So I tried the 8 digits...boom..it worked.

This method will also work I think on Exhibit II. But can not confirm. Thanks! Unfortunately the Exhibit I does not have the ATT 3g band ...but once unlocked I was able to get EDGE connection. The exhibit II does have them and they are specified in the specs.

Thank you!

smokeuout
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jager555 View Post
for the last time. you guys can call up tmobile and get the phone unlocked for FREE. it is painless and is completely safe. do a search on how to fix the imei. there are 2 or 3 fixes out there.
tmobile refused to give me my unlock code. i called 7 different times and emailed them twice (over a 2 month period). they wouldnt do it for my g2 either

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

dagentooboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeuout View Post
tmobile refused to give me my unlock code. i called 7 different times and emailed them twice (over a 2 month period). they wouldnt do it for my g2 either

I just bought an S2 from t-mobile and it took them 3 weeks to get me the code and when I put in another carriers SIM to unlock it it said "no sim" and the soft buttons on the front stopped working.

I am sure that for most people t-mobile is great about all this but for anyone who buys the phone used, built in unlock doesn't work, doesn't want to wait, or just likes to hack stuff there is this method.
S4 Proximity Sensor Calibration Guide here

Free Unlock For
Samsung Galaxy S variant here
Samsung Galaxy S 4G here
Galaxy Tab here

If you find my guide or advice helpful please donate

S4 Proximity Sensor Calibration App here

In a world without walls and fences who needs Windows and Gates?

thegoo
Old
(Last edited by thegoo; 8th November 2011 at 04:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Default Solved

So my co-worker decided to try this. He pulled the nv_data.bin and MADE back ups of it. He then proceeded to follow the tutorial . In the end, his phone showed it was unlocked however his IMEI was lost in the process and it remains at 00000...0 (null). Everything works as far as service goes (talk, 4G so on)

He is trying to just revert back to not having it unlocked and re-placed the nv_data.bin with the original file. However in this case the IMEI still remains Null and the *#754.. code still reveals it is unlocked.

I've attempted to reverse this process myself with no avail.

Vlad_z
Old
Thanks Meter 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoo View Post
He is trying to just revert back to not having it unlocked and re-placed the nv_data.bin with the original file. However in this case the IMEI still remains Null and the *#754.. code still reveals it is unlocked.

IMEI is what make you phone unique ... I'm surprised that cell network registers phone with corrupted one.

Speaking about non-reversal process. NV_data.bin might have been protected with control check sum, md5 hash or store cached data someplace, so when it borked then replacing this file withoriginal does not reverse this process.

I just unlocked my phone by simply getting 8 digit unlock code (just after that FF 01 00 00...) and inserting simcard from att.

I think it's safer just let software do it's thing instead of hex-editing file when nobody knows how it works for sure.

smokeuout
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoo View Post
So my co-worker decided to try this. He pulled the nv_data.bin and MADE back ups of it. He then proceeded to follow the tutorial . In the end, his phone showed it was unlocked however his IMEI was lost in the process and it remains at 00000...0 (null). Everything works as far as service goes (talk, 4G so on)

when i unlocked my phone the same thing happened with the imei #. i just left it alone and didnt care much and ive never had any problems because of it. is there a specific reason you want the # shown?

thegoo
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_z View Post
IMEI is what make you phone unique ... I'm surprised that cell network registers phone with corrupted one.

Speaking about non-reversal process. NV_data.bin might have been protected with control check sum, md5 hash or store cached data someplace, so when it borked then replacing this file withoriginal does not reverse this process.

I just unlocked my phone by simply getting 8 digit unlock code (just after that FF 01 00 00...) and inserting simcard from att.

I think it's safer just let software do it's thing instead of hex-editing file when nobody knows how it works for sure.
Fixed.
Correct. And it was protected by md5 checksum having viewed the ../settings dir I figured so

Rabid Panda
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default Null IMEI

It did the same thing to me.... IMEI=00000000000... Phone worked fine all day, i reverted back to stock to get my IMEI back to normal...I was worried at midnight the phone might turn into a pumpkin... Phone still works... IN my SGS4g forum we have been talking about the same issues. Phone will register just fine, have a had no problems with the null IMEI.. from what i can tell its a non issue, unless you want to sell the phone to someone...or try to return it... However, chances are, if you have rommed and rooted the hell out of your phone they wouldn't take it anyhow.
I reverted back to pre unlock, and will just get a off network sim and enter the code... that will apparently preserve the IMEI.