Mythbusting the GNote

OP Xaddict

13th November 2011, 05:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 39

507 posts
More
There seem to be many myths about the Galaxy Note across the internet.
This thread is dedicated to debunked myths, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel when we discover that the Note doesn't have Gorilla Glass or such concerns.

Perhaps the one that amuses / annoys me the most is that the Note was designed specifically for women, as it fits nicely in a purse, but is too big to put in a pocket.

Others,
It's too big to fit in your pocket.
People will think you're a fool holding such a big phone to your ear.
The screen isn't gorilla Glass, (it's only alkali aluminosilicate).
The Pentile screen is inferior(even though it looks gorgeous).
There are masses of Notes with defective screens.
Call quality is poor on all Note phones.
Banding shows on the screen(for every image).
A lot of these myths arise on phone review sites.
I say, hold on before making judgements about the note based on dodgy info.
Last edited by Xaddict; 15th November 2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add "on all Note phones" to "Call quality is poor"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xaddict For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th November 2011, 06:03 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 39

507 posts
More
Myth 1 The Note doesn't have a screen with Gorilla Glass
Although true literally, the type of screen glass is still not known.
However, this review undoes some of the bollocks around this issue:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus uses some type of "fortified glass", after all
Although not about the Note, does anyone seriously think Samsung would skimp on a feature like this?
More on the subject at Android Forums

After a week of owning this phone, the screen on my Note is as pristine as day one. I have yet to get a cover for it.
Last edited by Xaddict; 13th November 2011 at 06:09 PM.
14th November 2011, 05:03 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

71 posts
More
Can anyone contact corning and confirm if the note using gorilla? Almost all reviews I read swear its gorilla but Samsung website doesn't mention it... they didn't mention it for the s2 as well the only source is the corning website but the list is not updated.
14th November 2011, 05:33 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 25

258 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaddict

Call quality is poor.

i'll confirm the poor call quality for my galaxy note, probably more to do with software than hardware

my problem is the other person i talk to can barely hear what i'm saying, i've tested it with fring to record my own voice and confirm that i can barely hear the recording

i've upgrade to 2.3.6, the call quality is a bit better but still pretty crap, unlike the galaxy s2, the galaxy note's audio can not be configured with * # * # 197328640 #*#*

so it's not all myths
The Following User Says Thank You to bamboo12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2011, 07:10 AM   |  #5  
Flag Adelaide
Thanks Meter: 100

489 posts
call quality is fine here. are you using a case that doesnt have a hole for the microphone in the bottom? or do you have any gunk or dust in your microphone?

fits in my pocket just fine, although it does feel odd hold it to my ear. microphone isnt positioned too well for when you hold it to your ear from my experience, but doesnt seem to affect call quality for me.

with this pixel density, you wont notice the weakness of the pentile display unless you look really really close (ie. with magnifying glass). if you use it the way youre meant to use it (with it in your hand and your head more than 20cm away from it), its actually a pretty good display.
The Following User Says Thank You to Souai For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2011, 07:23 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 33

285 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbass668

Can anyone contact corning and confirm if the note using gorilla? Almost all reviews I read swear its gorilla but Samsung website doesn't mention it... they didn't mention it for the s2 as well the only source is the corning website but the list is not updated.

I did mail corning about this and all they replied was this:

Corning® Gorilla® Glass is featured on hundreds of the world’s coolest smart phones, tablets, and PCs and now the new Sony Bravia TV.

Because of our agreements with customers, we cannot identify all the devices that feature Corning® Gorilla® Glass, so we encourage you to contact the manufacturer of your device. If you would like to know which devices do use Gorilla Glass or learn more about our exciting new product, you can visit our website at www.CorningGorillaGlass.com.

Thank you for your interest in Corning® Gorilla® Glass.

Regards,
Matt

Sent from my GT-I5801 using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ankydu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2011, 08:12 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 10

69 posts
The biggest myth is that it's too big and you'll look like a tool making calls on it.

I got used to the size immediately. If anything, it made my regular 3.5" and 4" smartphones look silly with their eeny weeny screens.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unsinkable II For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2011, 09:29 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
Thanks for this thread. I have had the Galaxy Note for a few days now and:

- it is large, but it isn't that big. In any case , it does not feel bulky and fits easily in a shirt pocket or in a trousers' pocket;
- the screen is excellent, and at the end of the day, I do not worry much about the technology used. At my age, I have presbyopia, and I can read easily on the Note without reading glasses and without straining my eyes. This for me is the most valid test;
- I do not have any problems with call quality, whether on calls with my operator or using Skype;
- this device is FAST, compared to all comparable devices I have been in contact with.

In conclusion, it replaces my previous smartphone, a Nokia N900 (that one WAS bulky); my tablet (a Nook Color); my GPS (an old Garmin that lost its way a bit too easily) and possibly my netbook when I am on short travel and do not plan a lot of report-writing.

Not so bad, isn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to abergon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th November 2011, 10:15 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 59

429 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abergon

Thanks for this thread. I have had the Galaxy Note for a few days now and:

- it is large, but it isn't that big. In any case , it does not feel bulky and fits easily in a shirt pocket or in a trousers' pocket;
- the screen is excellent, and at the end of the day, I do not worry much about the technology used. At my age, I have presbyopia, and I can read easily on the Note without reading glasses and without straining my eyes. This for me is the most valid test;
- I do not have any problems with call quality, whether on calls with my operator or using Skype;
- this device is FAST, compared to all comparable devices I have been in contact with.

In conclusion, it replaces my previous smartphone, a Nokia N900 (that one WAS bulky); my tablet (a Nook Color); my GPS (an old Garmin that lost its way a bit too easily) and possibly my netbook when I am on short travel and do not plan a lot of report-writing.

Not so bad, isn't it?

Thumbs up man for making the change from Nokia to Samsung Android! You'll have plenty of things to celebrate even years after first touch to the device! I'm still finding new and awesome features of Android, (as former Symbian owner...)... Like i have i9000 and had it 13months now and i still have the most awesome experience when i changed to MIUI, feels like almost brandnew quadcore phone. :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
14th November 2011, 10:43 AM   |  #10  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 54

371 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaddict

There seem to be many myths about the Galaxy Note across the internet.
This thread is dedicated to debunked myths, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel when we discover that the Note doesn't have Gorilla Glass or such concerns.

Perhaps the one that amuses / annoys me the most is that the Note was designed specifically for women, as it fits nicely in a purse, but is too big to put in a pocket.

Others,
It's too big to fit in your pocket.
People will think you're a fool holding such a big phone to your ear.
The screen isn't gorilla Glass, (it's only alkali aluminosilicate).
The Pentile screen is inferior(even though it looks gorgeous).
There are masses of Notes with defective screens.
Call quality is poor.

Generally, I agree - but it's the same with any new device. Lots of anecdotal evidence and complaints when it's launched then things settle down. Personally I've not found any show stoppers with the Note. The display is generally gorgeous, size is not an issue, and performance is good. It wasn't so long ago that PDA's were all the rage (and prompted the likes of this very site to come into existence). When I first visted this site I was using this beast (HTC Wizard):

I think it's great that Samsung has brought back some of that PDA functionality in a form factor that's actually very compact and light.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flaws, galaxy note, myths, screen defects
Previous Thread Next Thread