[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Search This thread

dgomez720

Mar 24, 2011
Amarillo, TX
Clear the air ????

hi everyone..im new to the 3D root concept so bare with me please...comin from the OG EVO but had HBOOT 1.5 :mad: so im extremely confused..when using this app, do i have to reFLASH the rom im running if i just want to flash a new kernel??!?! i've searched and searched but i cant seem to find an answer. All i want to do is flash the kernel but if i have to reflash the rom i can but i would prefer not to.. any help is appreciated.. BTW SEEMS LIKE AN AWESOME APP lol whether it works or not for me it really is.

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
hi everyone..im new to the 3D root concept so bare with me please...comin from the OG EVO but had HBOOT 1.5 :mad: so im extremely confused..when using this app, do i have to reFLASH the rom im running if i just want to flash a new kernel??!?! i've searched and searched but i cant seem to find an answer. All i want to do is flash the kernel but if i have to reflash the rom i can but i would prefer not to.. any help is appreciated.. BTW SEEMS LIKE AN AWESOME APP lol whether it works or not for me it really is.
Short answer: No.
Long answer: If you want to flash a kernel and you know it is compatible with the currently loaded ROM, simply download the kernel zip file to the sdcard, select from inside Flash Image GUI and flash!

When you reboot:
If the device hangs or reboots on the splash screen, means either the kernel/ramdisk is not compatible with your device.
If the device hangs or boot loops on the animation, means the ROM is having issues, probably with the kernel and might indicate they are not compatible.
Quick solution is to battery pull and boot into recovery or adb shell reboot recovery and clear dalvik-cache at least. If that doesn't help, kernel is not compatible with the ROM. Revert to a previously known good nandroid.

I'll add this to the OP and make another guide ...

dgomez720

Mar 24, 2011
Amarillo, TX
Short answer: No.
Long answer: If you want to flash a kernel and you know it is compatible with the currently loaded ROM, simply download the kernel zip file to the sdcard, select from inside Flash Image GUI and flash!

When you reboot:
If the device hangs or reboots on the splash screen, means either the kernel/ramdisk is not compatible with your device.
If the device hangs or boot loops on the animation, means the ROM is having issues, probably with the kernel and might indicate they are not compatible.
Quick solution is to battery pull and boot into recovery or adb shell reboot recovery and clear dalvik-cache at least. If that doesn't help, kernel is not compatible with the ROM. Revert to a previously known good nandroid.

I'll add this to the OP and make another guide ...

Ok will try this and see what happens. Thank you fire the info.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

dgomez720

Mar 24, 2011
Amarillo, TX
Ok so I tried this asp a few minutes ago to flash a custom kernel while running Eternity.... F***in AMAZING!!!!! Dude this app is legit! makes flashing kernels so much easier :D
Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Last edited:

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
whats the difference between the 2 files:

cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img (found on: http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-root-evo-3d-2-08-651-2-and-later-htc-unlock-method/)

recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooteru.img (found at the beginning of this post)

I was thinking of replacing one with the other in the following command:
fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img
I'm unclear if you're referring to the difference in version numbers or the difference in shooter and shooteru in the file names. I will attempt to answer both questions.

Next to the file name, in my OP, I also provide a description. In your post you cut out the description I provide. I've pasted in this post, the same description next to the file name as found in my OP, as follows:
CWM 5.0.2.0 - EVO 3D CDMA - - recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooter.img
CWM 5.0.2.0 - EVO 3D GSM - recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooteru.img

As I state in my OP and quoted above in this post, the difference between shooter.img and shooteru.img is for CDMA and GSM support, respectively.

If you're referring instead to the difference in version number of CWM recovery from 4. to 5., it is probably best to rely on CWM's change log for that type of information. This application, Flash Image GUI, provides no preference or information on custom recoveries. I provide links in the OP as a courteous.

Flash Image GUI is only a tool. It will flash any custom recovery image for the EVO 3D. Best to research and make sure the custom recovery is correct for your device (whether CDMA or GSM) and the correct version contains the desired features. This research will prevent any future compatibility issues!

Hope that helps clarify!

Reactions: MWaV

MWaV

Dec 25, 2010
Kentucky
thanks for taking the time to help out bro!! youre awesome!! :D

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

@Joey.. I'm not extremely new to the rooting business, But however I am, kinda new to knowing what the kernels do and how do they help when flashing ROMs, and last but not release, you can flash ROMs with that app correct. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to learn and understand.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Im confused... on this command: Install Directions:
Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

I have the file FlashGUI.apk on my sdcard.. where to now.. sorry Im slow today

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

@Joey.. I'm not extremely new to the rooting business, But however I am, kinda new to knowing what the kernels do and how do they help when flashing ROMs, and last but not release, you can flash ROMs with that app correct. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to learn and understand.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
My preferred method, maybe a bit technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

You can use Root Explorer or other applications to install an .apk from sdcard. Using adb, my preferred method is to use the above command which installs the .apk file from your host computer, over the USB connections to your phone.
./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk.
The command might work if you try, adb install /sdcard/FlashImageGUI.apk.

Thanks! I've added it to the OP!

lchupacabras

Aug 21, 2009
Alright guys I've got about 6 hours to go at my job and I'm getting antsy so this is my question -

If I want to flash MIUI to my phone (Hboot 1.5) can I:

a) Download the whole ROM.zip
b) Flash the AOSP Kernel off of said .zip
c) When prompted cancel reboot/reboot to recovery instead.
d) In recovery wipe/flash ROM.
e) Reboot.
f) ???????
g) Profit?

Will this process work? Can I even flash AOSP Kernels w/ this app?

Please help a MIUI-craving brother out! :D

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Alright guys I've got about 6 hours to go at my job and I'm getting antsy so this is my question -

If I want to flash MIUI to my phone (Hboot 1.5) can I:

a) Download the whole ROM.zip
b) Flash the AOSP Kernel off of said .zip
c) When prompted cancel reboot/reboot to recovery instead.
d) In recovery wipe/flash ROM.
e) Reboot.
f) ???????
g) Profit?

Will this process work? Can I even flash AOSP Kernels w/ this app?

Please help a MIUI-craving brother out! :D
I think the MIUI release only supports CDMA devices, as long as you're on a CDMA device, yes those steps, same as outlined in the OP, should work.

I'm going to repeat this again, sorry for those who have been following and doing all the reading, MAKE SURE THE KERNEL SUPPORTS YOUR DEVICE!

Please read my troubleshooting tips at the bottom of the OP. Flashing a kernel can be dangerous. If you are not prepared, you can run into a lot of serious issues.

lchupacabras

Aug 21, 2009
I think the MIUI release only supports CDMA devices, as long as you're on a CDMA device, yes those steps, same as outlined in the OP, should work.

I'm going to repeat this again, sorry for those who have been following and doing all the reading, MAKE SURE THE KERNEL SUPPORTS YOUR DEVICE!

Please read my troubleshooting tips at the bottom of the OP. Flashing a kernel can be dangerous. If you are not prepared, you can run into a lot of serious issues.

Holy crap fast response time! :D Thankyou sir; trying now and I'll report back, really hope I don't get a non-working phone for the rest of the night. (Easily fixed when I get home w/ fastboot.)

************EDIT****************

Beautiful! ;) Worked flawlessly, except I had to flash ROM; reboot; reflash and then reboot. For a sec there I was very dissapointed (lol).

THANKS AGAIN!!! (Bought the app 'cause you're a BAMF.)

Last edited:

powduh09

Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, NC
Is there any way to use this app to change splash screens on HTC unlocked devices? Sure would be awesome as h3ll to see this in an update...

from the mind of a twisted soul

steveathome

Aug 8, 2010
Adelaide
I have been using this app to have a play around with kernels and works very well. My only problem now is I cant change to a different rom. Just hangs on white Htc splash. My Evo is a Vodafone au with s-on. I know its not the app but need to know what to flash to change. I tried extracting the kernel from my Voda back with the app but did not work. Could it be the boot.img. Thanks for any help. :)

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I have been using this app to have a play around with kernels and works very well. My only problem now is I cant change to a different rom. Just hangs on white Htc splash. My Evo is a Vodafone au with s-on. I know its not the app but need to know what to flash to change. I tried extracting the kernel from my Voda back with the app but did not work. Could it be the boot.img. Thanks for any help. :)
Appreciate the support.
First, yes, the kernel is most commonly labeled as boot.img.
Second, the issue you describe sounds identical to what I posted in my OP. I'm going to quote from my OP and if you have any questions or my details aren't clear, was post back for clarification and I will improve/update the answer. Thanks!

As follows from my OP:
Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img

steveathome

Aug 8, 2010
Adelaide
I saw the op #1 and #2 and tried my nandroid backups but they hang on the splash. But I cant get my head around the recovery part. Do I reflash through fastboot the Revolutionary cwm or a kernel. I'm finding it a bit confusing. Also Voda haven't released the Ruu for au. A bit spoilt with the Desire having s-off and flash anything.

tammyjustin

Feb 16, 2010
so i followed all the steps and to make sure before i finish after i hit the flash image button and the directions tell me to get to recovery how do i go about doing that.... all it says is i should reboot now cause my phone will be unstable...reboot now or later...no recovery option
thanks

baktasht

Sep 11, 2007
This tool has been great. I use it every time I flash a kernel on my hboot 1.5 phone and it has worked every time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credits:
    birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
    testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
    Thanks to SDX

HTC Unlock - Newer Hboot:
    If you have a newer Hboot version on either a CDMA or GSM device which has successfully completed the HTC unlock method, this application will work to flash kernels!
    Please see the guides at the bottom of this post!

Background:
    flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos (so far ONLY Samsung devices) and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Description:
    This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
    This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
    Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
    Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, Amaze, Vivid/Holiday, EVO, EVO Shift, Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
    Check application version for updates

Specific EVO 3D Support:
    Custom Kernels - CDMA
    [Kernel] [AOSP & Sense] Tiamat 1.1.0 | 2.6.35.14
    [KERNEL] Infected-AnthraX
    [KERNEL] mildAnthraX
    [KERNEL] Silverneedle 1.0
    [KERNEL] mKernel

Custom Recovery
    Use my app to easily load the Teamwin Recovery - TWRP 2.
    Download either PG86IMG.zip or recovery .img to your sdcard, select from the app and flash!
    CWM 5.0.2.0 - EVO 3D CDMA - - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooter.img
    CWM 5.0.2.0 - EVO 3D GSM - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-shooteru.img

Future Support:
    Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

YouTube Video Directions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVhKbvXawM&hd=1&list=PL9B601B5B9B4F42BE
    Thanks disturb3d1/wwjoshdew!

Great Photo Guide:
    http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-install-kernelrom-on-hboot-1-50-for-htc-evo-3d/

Install Directions:

Download Locations
    Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
    Release version (free): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
    Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
    A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
    sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
    1) Unlock using HTC method for Hboot 1.5 users
    2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
    3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
    4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
    5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
    6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
    7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
    8) Select reboot recovery.
    9) Inside the custom recovery, wipe data is ROM requires and load/flash the ROM zip file.
    10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Hboot 1.5 Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
    1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
    2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
    3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
    3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
    4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
    5) Reboot

Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues. If not, see the issues/solutions below.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
    Solution for #1: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup. Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\cwm-recovery.img
    Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
    Solution for #2: Have to boot into fastboot and load the custom recovery to flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a nandroid backup.
    No this allows flashing of Kernels AND Recoveries , just not sure if Recoveries can be flashed with S-ON ;)

It even has links to the recoveries in the first post :)

"Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, HTC EVO, HTC EVO Shift, Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    "
    Yes, recovery images can be flashed into the recovery partition with S-On.
    There are two main drawbacks to S-On.
    1) Kernels can't be flashed from the standard recovery mode. BUT, they can be flashed from fastboot mode or from normal android mode. FIG works in normal android mode making it easy/simple to flash kernels and the kernel portion of ROMs.
    2) I've read S-On does not allow the radio.img to be flashed. I haven't researched this too much as there has been no updated radio.img released yet for the EVO 3D. I'm sure once an updated radio.img comes around, we'll figure this out too!

Thanks for the support and feedback!

You can use Root Explorer or other applications to install an .apk from sdcard. Using adb, my preferred method is to use the above command which installs the .apk file from your host computer, over the USB connections to your phone.
    ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk.
    The command might work if you try, adb install /sdcard/FlashImageGUI.apk.

Thanks! I've added it to the OP!
    Stupid question, maybe.

Is this only for those on Hboot 1.5?

I am rocking 1.40.1100

Far as I know it's for everyone, but a necessity for 1.50
    Works on all Hboot versions. I've been using and testing it extensively with 1.3 on my own device!

As an update, I was able to add a Reboot Recovery button after the flash completes to help people save a few extra steps in version 1.3.6 released yesterday!

Thanks for the support!
    @Joey... sou you are saying that I have successfully unlocked bootloader but stuck at trying to get s-off with the new hboot version, Im using htcevohacks.com method (http://htcevohacks.com/htc-evo-3d-hacks/how-to-root-evo-3d-2-08-651-2-and-later-htc-unlock-method/) but seem to be stuck trying to flash recovery typing this command :fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img. please help:confused:
    The point you're stuck at, has nothing to do with this thread, Flash Image GUI, as this thread is dedicated to an application. Although, I can provide a solution to your issue which Flash Image GUI does assist with! In addition, I'll also provide alternative solutions if you're not using Flash Image GUI.

I do have links in the OP to the custom recoveries available for the EVO 3D. I've wrote up a very nice and detailed generic reply for this type of issue as I frequent the EVO 3D Q&A board a bit too often:
    Steps 1 - 3 will work having used AlphaRevX's revolutionary method. Steps 1 & 3 will work having used HTC's unlock method. The two methods unlock the internal memory write protection differently, hence the difference in steps for flash a custom recovery on the EVO 3D.

1) Flash from normal android mode: My application works well for this, Flash Image GUI, as well as flashing kernels, especially when being away from or not having a computer available. Select either the PG86IMG.zip, or the actual recovery.img file from the sdcard and flash!

2) Flash through the bootloader by putting a PG86IMG.zip file on the root of your sdcard. The TWRP version of this file is located a their site linked to in the OP.

3) Flash the actual recovery image through fastboot by using the following command: fastboot flash recovery c:\downloads\twrp-recovery.img

Hope that helps! Good luck!