Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,676 Members 52,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WhatsApp for other platforms (API)

Tip us?

tehavatar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default WhatsApp for other platforms (API)

Hi guys,

Im writing an api for the whatsapp protocol so that it can be ported to other devices/architectures.

My api is nearly complete and supports the full spectrum of WhatsApp features.

I'd like to write a web client for my API so that WhatsApp can be accessed from anywhere (A pc or anything with a browser).

What type of interest is there in this type of thing and could anyone possibly help with UI development or atleast point me in the right direction. Ive never been creative or good at designing interfaces =]

Thanks,
T
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tehavatar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DominionZA
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehavatar View Post
Hi guys,

Im writing an api for the whatsapp protocol so that it can be ported to other devices/architectures.

My api is nearly complete and supports the full spectrum of WhatsApp features.

I'd like to write a web client for my API so that WhatsApp can be accessed from anywhere (A pc or anything with a browser).

What type of interest is there in this type of thing and could anyone possibly help with UI development or atleast point me in the right direction. Ive never been creative or good at designing interfaces =]

Thanks,
T
I would be interested in helping out in my spare time. What language you doing it in?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

tehavatar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
The API is currently written in C#; but converting it to other languages probably wont be that hard, considering that all research has already been done and I understand the protocol in its entirety.

However, the current lib is quite nice and the web client should probably be done is asp.net mvc2 or something the can interface with the library directly.

tehavatar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Oh yeah, I see flash is the most common way of doing this, but how widespread is flash support on mobile devices =|

cobraboy85
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehavatar View Post
Oh yeah, I see flash is the most common way of doing this, but how widespread is flash support on mobile devices =|
Well, basically any android tablet supports flash, and any phone running gingerbread should or can support it as well.

Apple iOS does not support flash at all. So that group of sheeple is out entirely. To be honest, just the mid to high end android phones support it. I think window phone does as well. But nobody uses that crap.

k43l
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Oh I really like the idea of a WhatsApp web client!
What about using PHP and Javascript and HTML5? It's supported by pretty much any browser and phone and tablet...

I would love to help, but the only programming language I'm (kinda) familiar with is Java... and a little bit of the web stuff.

gfgodoy
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This would really be nice, you might want to take a look at Mightytext (http://mightytext.net/), the chrome integration is a good idea IMHO. A webclient would make it more universal thogh

omerli
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default is the API ready ?

i would love to see it if it's really working............
i was thinking about doing it but..............
i thought it could never work!!

can u send me a sample i want in to the development team....

q8phantom
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hi

I'm a Qt developer who can make some cool clever user interfaces, you might know Qt, with Qt me and your API will make its way to Windows/Linux/Mac/MeeGo/Maemo/Symbian/Android all under one code

There are plenty of developers also who wants to help building whatsapp in Qt available here

forum*meego*com/showthread.php?t=3758&page=7

Thank you for the great work done

xnpu
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Would you consider open sourcing your library so others can contribute as well as port it to other languages?
HTC One (CM10.1)
Samsung S3 (HyperGalaxy)
Galaxy Nexus (JB)
N9 (MeeGo)
Sensation (Sense-o-Maniac)
Nexus One (MIUI) SOLD
iPhone 4 (iOS5)
N900 (MeeGo1.3)

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe