How to Control Both Moto G and Moto E LEDs

Notification LEDs offer a great way to check for notification at a glance on the Moto G (2013) and … more

LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Are Aldiko and other ePub apps available?

OP bsharitt

17th November 2011, 09:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

99 posts
Are Aldiko and other ePub apps that are in the regular Amazon App Store still available on the Kindle Fire(actually in the store, I'm aware it can be sideloaded)?
17th November 2011, 09:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

53 posts
Aldiko is in the app store but doesn't show as compatible with the Fire. I'm sure if you had the apk you'd be fine.

As far as available non-sideloading epub apps, there's a commercial app called Mantano but it's $7.49. Good reviews though.

And of course you could always just convert your stuff using Calibre for free.
17th November 2011, 09:44 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 333

1,439 posts
I've installed MoonReader+ via the Android Pit app. I'd guess the free version would load also.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk
10th January 2012, 06:02 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 11

333 posts
I have a followup question on ePubs (I did not want to open up a new thread).

Using Calibre is not an option. I need to get ePubs to be easily accessible on the Fire without rooting (sideloading is an option). This is for someone who basically has no technical skills whatsoever and it needs to be ... ready for the cliched phrase?..."easy as pie".

I can do the setup/sideloading, but they need to be able to go on websites, download the ePub, know where it is, and hopefully in either an app or a file manager one-click and its opened.

They aren't books, they are small documents.

I tried to sideload Aldiko, and yes it does open ePubs, BUT you have to manually import them each time. (It would be ideal if there is an app that automatically scans your internal storage and just "puts" the ePub file out in the open to select -- kind of likeezPDF does with pdf's).

I am really trying to get this to work for them because they are an Apple family and will most likely will turn to an iPad.... (alternatively, I may recommend the Nook Tablet which I believe natively supports pdf).

If there is a stable ROM that doesn't required constant updates/maintenance, I MIGHT be willing to consider that if it means having access to the Android Market and making the ePub thing alot easier.

Any feedback appreciated here!
10th January 2012, 06:30 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 464

1,628 posts
moon reader opens directly - but the handling is a little bit complicated
take a look by yourself - it's on the market
10th January 2012, 07:04 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
Eddog4DROID, an easy thing I'd recommend is getting the 'Overdrive Media Console' app from the market, free (https://market.android.com/details?i...d.mediaconsole).
If you borrow books from any public library in ePub format, they download directly through that app.
Also, if you have any ePub format files on your SD card (like your own books) you can probably save them on the Overdrive folder and open them (not sure though, haven't tried).

Here's a FAQ about the app in case you want to give it a try (http://www.overdrive.com/Software/OMC/faq.aspx).

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
10th January 2012, 07:07 PM   |  #7  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 3

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddog4DROID

I tried to sideload Aldiko, and yes it does open ePubs, BUT you have to manually import them each time. (It would be ideal if there is an app that automatically scans your internal storage and just "puts" the ePub file out in the open to select -- kind of likeezPDF does with pdf's).

get mantano reader https://market.android.com/search?q=mantano&c=apps

haven't really tried the Trial but I paid for the full software and I love it. Every book you have on fire (even pdf) will be sorted by author, Title, Series etc. in the Mantano Reader. It has also TTS so it reads your books for you if you want.
10th January 2012, 07:11 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
Aldiko does work for stock Fire. I use it all the time for reading scientific papers. For whatever reason, I had to grab the APK directly from their website; backing up the APK I had on my Droid X didn't work.

My first post, and I was able to supply an answer rather than ask a noob question.
10th January 2012, 08:10 PM   |  #9  
Flag Colton, NY
Thanks Meter: 989

3,240 posts
Aldiko was very sluggish on my Fire, I went back to using the Kindle app from the Market. If the books I have/get are in epub format I either use Calibre to convert them or one of the free online converters.
10th January 2012, 08:11 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 11

333 posts
Can Aldiko be setup the ePubs are automatically imported and shows up when the app starts?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread