ICS removes USB mass Storage.

Search This thread

Falkner09

May 24, 2011
Funny, that's one of the things fandroids tend to bring up when discussing androids advantage over other OSes... And it was one of few valid points they had.

indeed, it hurts my heart to see my fave OS being downgraded. for the record, I think that quality wise, it's still ahead of the iPhone, but its lead is shrinking, due mostly to its own quality dropping, rather than the iPhone's increasing.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
Quality-wise exceeding the iPhone? Heavily disagree. Its too laggy to be of high quality and there's no uniformity across any aspect of the UI.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
Oh there he comes with the trolling again.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Akulamenuri

Jan 17, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I am a huge fan of Android but I also have to disagree with you when it comes to quality, in both software and hardware. Android still has more functionality but iOS is gradually narrowing the playing field (Multitasking, OTA updates, Notification Bar, and once HTML5 becomes widespread the Flash argument will become a moot point).

vikas776

Jul 16, 2010
Quality-wise exceeding the iPhone? Heavily disagree. Its too laggy to be of high quality and there's no uniformity across any aspect of the UI.

Correct me if i m wrong this is Android forum ( i mean not 100 % but sill majority )
u will see majority of android fans here other than apple and other os.

Why u always wanna start fight with others ?
Is something bothering u in ur personal life ?

Consult someone buddy u need help :mad:

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
I don't have a Galaxy Nexus to test, but I do have a Galaxy S II which defaults to MTP instead of mass storage USB. This is fine as it means it works perfectly with existing media managers, which is what I expect most consumers want.

That said, you can enable Mass Storage by checking USB Debugging in the Development section of settings. I suspect it's the same in the Galaxy Nexus.

TL;DR This report is unlikely to be true.

Nope. Honeycomb didn't have mass storage mode even if debugging was enabled, and it is the exact same case for ICS. :( Mass storage mode is gone unless one installs a custom kernel with UMS support along with an app on market....at least in theory. :(

Falkner09

May 24, 2011

when Android does the things it does, it's often laggier than the iPhone, this is true. the catch is, Android is laggier at doing things the iPhone cannot do at all. how fast are the iPhone's widgets? how smoothly does the iPhone change its default browser? how quickly does it download apps from sources other than the app store? how responsive is its uniform, built in back, menu and search button? how stable are its home screen replacement apps? how stable is the hardware keyboard equipped model? how well do swype, touchpal and swiftkey work on the iPhone? how good are the device file managers? how fast is bluetooth file transfer? how many icon packs are available for it? how many alternate players are there for on-device music, movies, etc? how fast is the SD card reader? how fast does USB mass storage work, with an unsynced PC or Mac? how many emulators are there in the app store? how good is the iOS version of Wave Launcher? how quickly can you biuy Kindle books from the iPad if you prefer that to iBooks? how well does iBooks work on a non-Apple device? etc. etc.

I could go on and list dozens more, but the fact is, the iPhone can do none of the things I listed, no matter how stable and smooth it is. quality in electronics is a relationship between stability and utility; for millions of people, Android is stable enough that its broader functionality makes up for the lower stability compared to the iPhone. true, google appears to be downgrading a few (I count 4 in my list) of those functionalities, for reason that are either short sighted at best, or baseless at worst. but even if every single Android phone had those 4 functions taken away suddenly, there would still be ALL the others. Android has been winning by a mile for some time now. if these downgrades stick, it will only be winning by half a mile, but winning is winning.

Reactions: cloud92

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
when Android does the things it does, it's often laggier than the iPhone, this is true. the catch is, Android is laggier at doing things the iPhone cannot do at all. how fast are the iPhone's widgets? how smoothly does the iPhone change its default browser? how quickly does it download apps from sources other than the app store? how responsive is its uniform, built in back, menu and search button? how stable are its home screen replacement apps? how stable is the hardware keyboard equipped model? how well do swype, touchpal and swiftkey work on the iPhone? how good are the device file managers? how fast is bluetooth file transfer? how many icon packs are available for it? how many alternate players are there for on-device music, movies, etc? how fast is the SD card reader? how fast does USB mass storage work, with an unsynced PC or Mac? how many emulators are there in the app store? how good is the iOS version of Wave Launcher? how quickly can you biuy Kindle books from the iPad if you prefer that to iBooks? how well does iBooks work on a non-Apple device? etc. etc.

I could go on and list dozens more, but the fact is, the iPhone can do none of the things I listed, no matter how stable and smooth it is. quality in electronics is a relationship between stability and utility; for millions of people, Android is stable enough that its broader functionality makes up for the lower stability compared to the iPhone. true, google appears to be downgrading a few (I count 4 in my list) of those functionalities, for reason that are either short sighted at best, or baseless at worst. but even if every single Android phone had those 4 functions taken away suddenly, there would still be ALL the others. Android has been winning by a mile for some time now. if these downgrades stick, it will only be winning by half a mile, but winning is winning.

I'd say that the fact that you have to utilize all those third party programs is a testament to the lack of quality. Not to mention most of those things can be done after a one click jailbreak but that's not the point. I don't use either OS so meh. I do find it funny that you chose to point out the hardware buttons as though they were something profound.

Vilas, when I joined, it was a winmo forum. It shifts but is first and foremost a developer forum. When people say android is of high quality I have to reply. A few OEMs have polished it to make it bearable but vanilla android is terrible in every sense.

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
Haters gonna hate. Zee you never posted pictures of your many devices. So you're two things now.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
I'd say that the fact that you have to utilize all those third party programs is a testament to the lack of quality. Not to mention most of those things can be done after a one click jailbreak but that's not the point. I don't use either OS so meh. I do find it funny that you chose to point out the hardware buttons as though they were something profound.

Vilas, when I joined, it was a winmo forum. It shifts but is first and foremost a developer forum. When people say android is of high quality I have to reply. A few OEMs have polished it to make it bearable but vanilla android is terrible in every sense.

Vanilla WP doesn't even have DLNA, decent Turn by Turn Navigation, or a YouTube app. They don't even have OTA updates so while my iPod has 5.0.1 my HD7 can't even downloat the update that was released today until I get my PC's setup again... still can't email or MMS a video off the device unless I missed something. Still can't run Navigation in the background like every other factorable platform. Still get broken webpages in the browser thanks to Trident. Still have terrible sound quality.

However I will still use it to perform searches in my spare time since Bing rewards gives me free slacker premium and Xbox gold for my 360.

Really a WP fan is the last person who should be attempting to lecture others in dependence on third party apps. The whole reason why people don't want to use the platform is due to the bad third party app selection.

The fact that people like you pass up design misshapen (browser changes, for example) and design ommissions as gems in technology gives a knowledgeable user a sour taste cause there are too many of you and it makes the company think they're on the road to stardom.

You realize Android phones have People Hubs and Live Tiles in the form if Widgets right? Checkin support is also built in if you use Google+ now (Analogous to Windows Live, but offers more functionality).

I had someone suggest a market app because I don't like how the phone app opens to history instead of the dialer - not configurable, of yourself.

I'm starting to doubt you even use or used an Android phone. That's how clueless you're coming across these days.

I've already bought a WP device. Its no nearlybasbgoid as you people make it out to be. Its crap hardware with a walled garden but none if the perks those "other" people have.

Last edited:

ttg

Dec 27, 2009
www.talaviram.com
The reason they made the GN lack features is simple.

Cannibalism.

Samsung still use the SGS2 as a flagship product.
While in the US they have different handsets many other countries has the SGS2.
And it's even not that old product especially when compared to Apple's product cycle.

Making a "better" phone would make you simply say... ahh I'll prefer it over SGS2 or other versions of it (like in the us).

Limiting the camera and some addons ensures you'll think about it.

Samsung still has SGS2 stock they need to sell and still it's a great phone.

Except of the penta-band and HD res this phone has nothing huge but for Google's Dev phones it's important to keep some features updated.

Though, since the N1 they haven't released and market changing feature set (the N1 was one of the first 1Ghz phones if not the first).
If it were quad... different story.

Reactions: vapotrini

Spartoi

Jul 31, 2009
Pomona
Google is the one who tells Samsung what parts to make/use in the Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus is Google's flagship not Samsung's.

ttg

Dec 27, 2009
www.talaviram.com
Yep, however Google unlike Apple has more "partnership" into it. and especially when Samsung makes its flagship. Samsung won't be happy to create something that hurts it business as google won't wanna hurt others such as HTC, Sony, etc... by making something that totally changes the market.

vapotrini

Dec 31, 2004

Cannibalism.

And it's even not that old product especially when compared to Apple's product cycle.

Making a "better" phone would make you simply say... ahh I'll prefer it over SGS2 or other versions of it (like in the us).

Except of the penta-band and HD res this phone has nothing huge but for Google's Dev phones it's important to keep some features updated.

Though, since the N1 they haven't released and market changing feature set (the N1 was one of the first 1Ghz phones if not the first).

+1. Really not sure why people aren't grasping this.

They fully well know that if this phone was uber spec'd it would mean certain death for every other high end android phone out there. As everyone would undoubtedly choose the phone which gets updates first.

z33dev33l

Oct 17, 2008
Austin, TX
Vanilla WP doesn't even have DLNA, decent Turn by Turn Navigation, or a YouTube app. They don't even have OTA updates so while my iPod has 5.0.1 my HD7 can't even downloat the update that was released today until I get my PC's setup again... still can't email or MMS a video off the device unless I missed something. Still can't run Navigation in the background like every other factorable platform. Still get broken webpages in the browser thanks to Trident. Still have terrible sound quality.

However I will still use it to perform searches in my spare time since Bing rewards gives me free slacker premium and Xbox gold for my 360.

Really a WP fan is the last person who should be attempting to lecture others in dependence on third party apps. The whole reason why people don't want to use the platform is due to the bad third party app selection.

The fact that people like you pass up design misshapen (browser changes, for example) and design ommissions as gems in technology gives a knowledgeable user a sour taste cause there are too many of you and it makes the company think they're on the road to stardom.

You realize Android phones have People Hubs and Live Tiles in the form if Widgets right? Checkin support is also built in if you use Google+ now (Analogous to Windows Live, but offers more functionality).

I had someone suggest a market app because I don't like how the phone app opens to history instead of the dialer - not configurable, of yourself.

I'm starting to doubt you even use or used an Android phone. That's how clueless you're coming across these days.

I've already bought a WP device. Its no nearlybasbgoid as you people make it out to be. Its crap hardware with a walled garden but none if the perks those "other" people have.

You see, you do the same things. You mock windows phone's shortcomings while sweeping android's under the rug. You act as though android's shortcomings are either there or can be fixed by XDA. That's not the case, If there was I'd jump. Thisfar there's still no valid UI replacement and the stutters are painful. Then there's the fact that third party integration with things aren't on par with direct support. There's many things each OS can do that the others just can't, to highlight one's weaknesses and compare them to another's strengths is just foolishness on your part.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
You see, you do the same things. You mock windows phone's shortcomings while sweeping android's under the rug. You act as though android's shortcomings are either there or can be fixed by XDA. That's not the case, If there was I'd jump. Thisfar there's still no valid UI replacement and the stutters are painful. Then there's the fact that third party integration with things aren't on par with direct support. There's many things each OS can do that the others just can't, to highlight one's weaknesses and compare them to another's strengths is just foolishness on your part.

Have you read my posts in the vibrant forum. Seriously, don't pretend to know what i do. Get a clue.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys I just don't believe that it lacks USB mass storage support based on one sentence in one Engadget review. Maybe the guy didn't have his Windows drivers installed or missed a setting somewhere, who knows.

They released the source earlier this week and we haven't heard a peep about this. Surely someone woulda noticed this by now if it were removed?

Anyway.. maybe it is true but I'm not gonna jump to conclusions just yet...
    Nexus S was the same (internal storage, video record quality, etc. )

Why are people surprised by this.

This is a prototype/reference handset and the only real benefit to it is the early access to new OS updates and apparently a penta-band HSPA+ radio.

Other than that, you're better off just waiting for an OEM to release an ICS device.

The only funny thing is that Google left the Android UI in such deplorable state so long that OEMs are so used to skinning it. They will even skin ICS with Sense and TouchWiz.

I must admit.I was a bit hopeful.for this device. With Google Music and Video Store live, the lack of an SD slot is a really big issue, IMO.

Also, the lack if a Search button is a Showstopper for me. Maybe an OEM will put it back in. I do like the interface cues they took from Apple and Microsoft, though. The UI looks like actual graphics instead of ASCII art now.

Cannibalism.

No, I had that phone for a week and passed it off to my 6 year old sister. I have, however, read years worth of trolling in the wp7 general section.