Boston area 4g outage

Search This thread

adrand

Oct 16, 2010
boston
Okay, starting this morning my 4g will connect (says ip address and connected to sprint) yet will not pull down any data. That includes no webpages or if I try speedtest it hangs at testing ping. Zero data. I'm currently using warm rom with stock kernel for the past few weeks. Definitely not a 4g service issue as someone with an Evo 4g was able to pull data with no problem standing next to me today. Tried wiping all and flashing the latest warm rom to no avail. Any ideas? Anything else I should try?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Last edited:

skelotic

Apr 1, 2011
I have no data also. Never rooted and with the original stock firmware (so if I want to root) and the most recent PRL. I am in Boston if that matters. 3g works just fine.

adrand

Oct 16, 2010
boston
I have no data also. Never rooted and with the original stock firmware (so if I want to root) and the most recent PRL. I am in Boston if that matters. 3g works just fine.

Thank you that makes me feel a little better as I am in the Boston area as well. Really strange though that someone with an original evo was able to down 4g data today. I might give sprint a call to check on any outages.

Jun 12, 2010
I had this issue in the morning a day or two ago but it went away after an hour or so. Problem returned this morning and have had to use 3G since then because Wimax isn't working.

I'm on the latest Warm nightly and too am in Boston. Sounds like it's specific to Boston.

anth75

Jul 26, 2010
East Boston
funny because i'm also in Boston with no data! called sprint and they told me there's no outage in my area! been like this since yesterday morning. they're making me take it to a store today. pain because i just unrooted and put S back on!

adrand

Oct 16, 2010
boston
funny because i'm also in Boston with no data! called sprint and they told me there's no outage in my area! been like this since yesterday morning. they're making me take it to a store today. pain because i just unrooted and put S back on!

Let us know what they tell you at the store. Hard to believe that this many of us are experiencing the exact same issue and its not on sprints end. Lol I forget how slow 3g can be as most of my travels are normally covered with 4g. Hope its back online soon. Anyone else in the Boston area that wants to chime in?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

anth75

Jul 26, 2010
East Boston
Just got back and what they told me is they disconnected wimax and it could be this way for a few weeks! They are gonna be testing LTE and just keep it on 3G. Thanks for the heads up sprint!

pselver

May 9, 2007
4g Still broken in Boston area. Many reports....when a phone is mentioned it is the Evo 3d. Was there an over the air update yesterday?

skelotic

Apr 1, 2011
An OTA should not affect it since I haven't upgraded since the first one. Also, people that I know who have the Evo 4G can use data just fine.

TopChoice

Feb 23, 2011
Dose everyone with the issue have the evo 3d or is it whit all phone, because sure seems like the ones with the issue are evo 3d users

anth75

Jul 26, 2010
East Boston
as well as everyone should! this is BS!! i am more mad that i called CS 3x and they kept telling me there's no outtages in my area! how could they not know about something as major as this????? I had to go outta my way to a local store for them to tell me this crap??? my cousin called to complain and they hung up on him! called back to speak to a manager and they just kept him on hold! kinda missing T-Mo right now!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Dose everyone with the issue have the evo 3d or is it whit all phone, because sure seems like the ones with the issue are evo 3d users

not just Evos. doing on my cousins phone too(not sure what he has but its def not an evo)

TransWarp

Feb 2, 2009
Boston, MA

Wow, glad I found this thread! I got the same problem on Nexus S 4G located near Norwood. In my case, I just got a replacement phone yesterday. 4G was fine yesterday but today, nothing. I was starting to think I got a defective phone. The worst part is that with 4G enabled, I got a signal so it doesn't even try to fall back to 3G. I just checked Settings > About phone > Status > Mobile network state says Disconnected when 4G is turned on.

I can only get 4G service while at work so if they've disabled it, I'm gonna be mad! :mad:

Last edited:

anth75

Jul 26, 2010
East Boston
Wow, glad I found this thread! I got the same problem on Nexus S 4G located near Norwood. In my case, I just got a replacement phone yesterday. 4G was fine yesterday but today, nothing. I was starting to think I got a defective phone. The worst part is that with 4G enabled, I got a signal so it doesn't even try to fall back to 3G. I just checked Settings > Status > Mobile network state says Disconnected when 4G is turned on.

I can only get 4G service while at work so if they've disabled it, I'm gonna be mad! :mad:

that is also what my cousin has(Nexus S 4G) so its def not just the evo 3Ds...

uhupong

Aug 18, 2008
No data here as well in beverly ma. It shows as connected but no data flow.

I now have a new phone, epic touch 3g

Pong

anth75

Jul 26, 2010
East Boston
I call it testing....if they are testing LTE then be happy. Sucks its your town but hey sacrifice isn't cheap

Sent from my EVO3D(overclocked) via XDA App

can't speak for everyone else but i don't mind at all. Just don't like the fact that Sprint has no idea whats going on and sending people to local stores to me is BS! they should be more informed of something this major going on and not making everyone think there phones are junk! all they have to do is inform their customers of the testing and to put their phone on 3G! i had no idea of that and had no data till i went to the local store today and they told me to put it on 3G.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    " I apologize, I was not clear. When I'm at work. Looking at boston, I get 4g reception great. 3g on the other hand is roaming. So I depend on the 4g as not to exceed the roaming cap. Now they have without warning cut of my 4g access, which I pay extra for, when 3g is not AK option.

For those saying there are others paying 10 that have no 4g, I'm sorry that's not my problem. I knew I had 4g where I am so I was OK with paying it. Our situations are not related. Hence I am NOT OK with sprint cutting Wimax Without warning.

10 dollars may not matter to others, but it matters to me very much."

Okay. As an ex-Sprint rep. Let me inform you of something. When you bought your Old Evo 4G or Epic 4G you were paying an exclusive 4G fee. The $10 you were worried about. Last January they changed that. No one pays that anymore. 4G is 100% free. However, Sprint now charges an extra $10 for all smart phones. So when you got your Evo 3D, your contract changed. You no longer have to pay for 4G, but you now have to pay for having unlimited Smartphone data (as long as you aren't roaming). So while yes, you can complain that this affects you and how, and probably get a credit. If you call up or walk in with the attitude "I pay for 4G, give it back or give me $10 for every month!!!!11!!!!!11!11" Then they will scoff at you and tell you you to take it somewhere else. No one likes a 'tude.

And I'm glad someone brought this up, I finally figured out the settings for wifi tether, tested 3G, it worked, tested 4G and was like "WTF!!!!!!!!!!! THIS PHONE IS PISSING ME OFF!!!!!" Yeah....so thank you Boston. On the bright side, we will be the first to get LTE :D (on Sprint)

Quick side note, anyone notice, development is sooooo much easier on Samsung devices than HTC? Samsung seems to be flying, while the Evo 3D is dead in the water. WE ARE A FLAGSHIP DEVICE TOOOOOOO D: