RA_GNM Recovery v3.03 (Amon Ra) for TB

Search This thread

pinhead875

Aug 4, 2010
Is there an option in this recovery that's similar to the Format System option from CMR? And can someone help me find it? Thank you.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
The proper name to rename CWR is PG05IMG?? If so I've done that added it the root of the sdcard held power and volume down but noting happens? My mind must be going blank can you please tell me the proper way to flash recovery? Thanks so much.... also after you flash the recovery then you flash the super user correct?

Sent from the Honeycomb hideout

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
yes. rename PG05IMG,place on root(top level) of sd

only 2 reasons a file is not found:
1)not properly named(if adding the .zip it could be names PG05IMG.zip.zip since windows adds and hides the file ext.) thats a zero,not a capital O

2)sd card not formatted FAT32

Reactions: MRFERRARI23

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
yes. rename PG05IMG,place on root(top level) of sd

only 2 reasons a file is not found:
1)not properly named(if adding the .zip it could be names PG05IMG.zip.zip since windows adds and hides the file ext.) thats a zero,not a capital O

2)sd card not formatted FAT32

Ok so after I rename it to that and add it the root of the sdcard once I hold power an volume down and get to the proper screen should it automatically detect it and install? Cause I believe I renamed it correctly but Idk what's up? :(

Sent from the Honeycomb hideout

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
yes,when you boot to hboot,youll see a blue status bar in the upper right corner,then the phone will ask you if you want to update vol up for yes,vol down for no.

as i said,if you renamed it with a windows machine it may be named pg05IMG.zip.zip. you can try just renaming "PG05IMG" and try it that way,or you can find the file onthe phone with a file manager(such as astro) it will show the filename and extension.

if your file is truly named correctly,and on the root(not inside another folder,on the top level) of your sd card,then the prollem must me with your sd card.

if you connect to the computer or put the sc card in a card reader,then right click on the drive that is your phones sd card,click properties and see if it is named just "FAT". if so,you will need to back it up and reformat. or find a second sd card to format FAT32 and put the file on. the phone will NOT find it on a plain FAT formatted sd card.

Reactions: MRFERRARI23

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
Updated to 3.06

recovery-ra-mecha-3.06-gnm.img

MD5 ccd64cadf2b98e8f446e79d5a5c3d1a8 recovery-ra-mecha-3.06-gnm.img

Compiled for armv7a-neon so its faster.
Rewrote the ext3|4 menu to use C not scripts
Added a developer menu:

Developer menu:
Make and flash boot from zimage : This makes a mkboot folder on sdcard and mounts sdcard as mass storage then you copy a zImage and kernel modules into this folder and it will create a new boot like anykernel and flash it.
Toggle full ext wipe : This toggles between doing a quick wipe (default) of ext partitions or a full wipe which reformats them to ext3 or ext4 whichever you had.
Install su & superuser: Installs or fixes su & superuser install (removes old if exists)
Install eng (unguarded) su: Installs engineering su that doesn't use superuser (removes old su & superuser if exists)
Reboot to bootloader: reboots to bootloader/hboot
Reboot recovery : reboots phone back into recovery

Reactions: scotty1223

bolt_of_thunder

Mar 18, 2011
Can this most recent update be renamed and flashed in hboot? If not will it be updated in rom manager? Really want to switch from the very slow cwr. Thanks.

Sent from my Infected Bolt

loveubuntu

Nov 25, 2010
slow CWR? How fast is Amon Ra? I have no issues with CWR. Sure it takes about 4-5 minutes to backup/restore a loaded sense rom and 2-3 min for an AOSP rom, but the experience is painless. Can someone explain what "fast" means?

Also, recently titanium backup (paid ver) gives you the capability of restoring something specific from a CWR backup. This comes quite handy if you are a rom-whore :D Can someone with this recovery confirm if this option works? The setting says CWR backup in titanium. But I'm thinking it can be tricked into thinking the backups are the same? Just thinking out-loud...

setite

Apr 25, 2006
I can't speak much to the issue of speed. What I know is that I had Amon RA on my EVO. IIRC CWR was buggered when I first tried it. Since moving to my Thunderbolt I have been repeatedly annoyed with the speed of CWR. I will install Amon RA because I recall never having been equally irritated with it.

icedventimocha

Updated to 3.06

recovery-ra-mecha-3.06-gnm.img

MD5 ccd64cadf2b98e8f446e79d5a5c3d1a8 recovery-ra-mecha-3.06-gnm.img

Compiled for armv7a-neon so its faster.
Rewrote the ext3|4 menu to use C not scripts
Added a developer menu:

Developer menu:
Make and flash boot from zimage : This makes a mkboot folder on sdcard and mounts sdcard as mass storage then you copy a zImage and kernel modules into this folder and it will create a new boot like anykernel and flash it.
Toggle full ext wipe : This toggles between doing a quick wipe (default) of ext partitions or a full wipe which reformats them to ext3 or ext4 whichever you had.
Install su & superuser: Installs or fixes su & superuser install (removes old if exists)
Install eng (unguarded) su: Installs engineering su that doesn't use superuser (removes old su & superuser if exists)
Reboot to bootloader: reboots to bootloader/hboot
Reboot recovery : reboots phone back into recovery

Does this save the .zip files it makes from the zimage, or does it flash it then delete it? And will it work with kernels that come with a regular boot img?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dont know if it been posted but Amon Ra's rcovery is now available in RM under alternate recovery. just flash or reflash the newest CWR back out and go back in and the alternate recovery tab thats usually grayed out it highlighted. flash and enjoy. i just did this myself and havent had time to check it out just thought id pass the info. Im not the first to discover this just seen it on another site and wanted to share i take NO credit what so ever!
    Scotty85 has created a flashable zip to b done in hboot just rename and flash.
    RA_GNM recovery 3.03 http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...m/YQFX94NGS0&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13154433242241
    Version 3.04

Changelog : Signature checking is off by default
    Fixed boot restore error in nandroid.

PG05IMG-ra-mecha-3.04.zip

Should be updated in rom manager in a day or so also.
    first of all...Id like to point out some flaws in many of you guys' logic.

1. Why are you wiping dalvik cache in recovery anyway? The only reason I could see one doing this is flashing a kernel that is causing a bootloop (see #3) Dalvik cache resides in /data partition...and sometimes in both /data and /cache partitions. Which leads me to number 2.

2. I see a lot of people wiping dalvik cache, wiping cache, wiping data and then flashing a rom. Even some people doing it 3xs or more. This is pointless. If you are wiping data and cache in recovery...it deletes dalvik cache in the process. Whats the point in going in after doing this and wiping dalvik in advance options? You are wiping NOTHING when you do this. Theres nothing there to wipe. Proper wiping (to start clean with any rom), is wipe data factory reset, wipe cache, format /system under mounts and storage (and format /boot if you have a phone with the option, tbolt is not one of those phones). That removes all...and gives real results on what a rom is doing to your phone when you run one clean...which is what I do when I flash a new rom.

3. you can wipe dalvik cache in terminal like.

su
    sysrw
    cd /data/dalvik-cache
    rm *
    reboot

if you have dalvik cache located in both /data and /cache...do this

su
    sysrw
    cd /data/dalvik-cache
    rm *
    cd /cache/dalvik-cache
    reboot

no need to even go into recovery for that so the argument that cwm sucks for wiping dalvik cache is pointless. Do it through terminal.