How to stop the wallpaper from changing with each unlock

Search This thread

rooobbbbb

Apr 13, 2008
I was looking at a way for my change of wallpaper to stick after the screen is turned off and back on and it seems I found a way. This requires root. It's pretty simple you just have to:

Code:
1. Change wallpaper within a launcher like ADW.
2. chmod 550 /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

If you want to change it again you have to chmod it back to something like 755 and then back to 550 once you've changed it back to write-protected again. You can freely change between live wallpapers for some reason once it's 550

Not anywhere near ideal but it works for the time being. Much easier than injecting images into an app.

Last edited:

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks. I might try this when I get bored of the changing wallpapers :)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

pyrostic

Jun 23, 2010
Chicago - Northwest Suburbs
I was looking at a way for my change of wallpaper to stick after the screen is turned off and back on and it seems I found a way. This requires root. It's pretty simple you just have to

Code:
chmod 550 /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

After that I'm able to change it myself within ADW or any other launcher and it sticks. This includes live wallpapers which look rather nice on the lock screen.

Sounds a lot easier than other methods. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

jonjon68

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks. I might try this when I get bored of the changing wallpapers :)

Well it does allow to switch to Live wallpapers. What I can't do now is change it to anything other than live wallpapers. So I'm guessing I need to reverse the process.

Anyone know the chmod command to do that?

Nevermind. 755 got me back to the ****ty Kindle permissions

BTW, 550 does nothing for me for picture wallpapers. Useless other than allowing Live wallpapers. Curious.

Last edited:

rooobbbbb

Apr 13, 2008
I've updated the first post with how I'm doing it for stills. I was only using a live one before so I didn't come across that problem yet.

onyx_64

May 14, 2011
I was looking at a way for my change of wallpaper to stick after the screen is turned off and back on and it seems I found a way. This requires root. It's pretty simple you just have to:

Code:

If you want to change it again you have to chmod it back to something like 755 and then back to 550 once you've changed it back to write-protected again. You can freely change between live wallpapers for some reason once it's 550

Not anywhere near ideal but it works for the time being. Much easier than injecting images into an app.

Perfect! much easier than the other methods

MichaelVash7886

Nov 24, 2011
I think it's hilarious we have to have the thing rooted just for something so simple as this.

I'm guessing future updates would likely fix a lot of these minor gripes, but it's still a bit funny to me. Good find.

nonef73

May 2, 2008
Tokyo
Hi. With overriding lockscreen with "GO Locker", my KF goes to not trying to replace the wall paper anymore. Even if you rebooting your device, the wall paper which you selected keep the place :)

cllinna

Jan 6, 2011
Dallas
i believe there are 21 images

Also, if you are rooted and have the android app store you can download widgetlocker v2.2.3 and they have support for kindle fire. It works perfectly!

Last edited:

Belgorm

Nov 21, 2011
Also, if you are rooted and have the android app store you can download widgetlocker v2.2.3 and they have support for kindle fire. It works perfectly!

I dunno about perfectly, if i leave my Fire unplugged for a bit and come back then the lock screen is there and the widgetlocker unlock screen is the 2nd unlock screen, with new and randomly chosed wallpaper.

Hoping i am just missing a setting someplace.

hoss12300

Oct 6, 2010
San Antonio
I dunno about perfectly, if i leave my Fire unplugged for a bit and come back then the lock screen is there and the widgetlocker unlock screen is the 2nd unlock screen, with new and randomly chosed wallpaper.

Hoping i am just missing a setting someplace.

No, this happens to me too. Sometimes I get a broken KF unlock screen - in the sense that the layout is borked, but the slider is still functional, albeit shifted to one side.

I have Widgetlocker running in tandem with GO Launcher EX, so not sure if that might be the reason or its just an issue with the wallpaper rotator.

2011-11-26_23-04-25_171.jpg

Last edited:

tkalli

Oct 27, 2007

Code:

Worked just fine.
:)

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009

Code:

Help! I have tried this many times - I can get the wallpaper not to change if I use a Live Wallpaper but for the life of me, I cannot install a static (jpg) wallpaper. I'm rooted, market and gmail installed, etc... and using ADW.EX launcher (very nice).

Could it be the actual jpg image? I'm just using a plain, solid black jpg image that I have used on every rooted device from a Samsung Galaxy to my rooted Nook Color?

What's the format for plain solid wallpaper?

TIA

devilot

Sep 11, 2008
Wetumpka
Help! I have tried this many times - I can get the wallpaper not to change if I use a Live Wallpaper but for the life of me, I cannot install a static (jpg) wallpaper. I'm rooted, market and gmail installed, etc... and using ADW.EX launcher (very nice).

Could it be the actual jpg image? I'm just using a plain, solid black jpg image that I have used on every rooted device from a Samsung Galaxy to my rooted Nook Color?

What's the format for plain solid wallpaper?

TIA

I am pretty sure this is related specifically to ADW EX as I experienced the exact same thing. I had to set the wallpaper about five times before it would actually stick. The key to knowing the selection worked was that I would receive two messages from ADW after making the selection, the second one stating that it was setting the wallpaper. If I didn't get that second message, I would have to go through the selection process again.

tkalli

Oct 27, 2007
I am using Go Launcher and didn't experience any problems
setting the wallpaper.
Whatever wallpaper was set on the Fire when the chmod string executed
was the one that was set.
Did it on two different Fires.

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
Thanks to each of you...

devilot and tkalli: I finally figured out that it was ADW doing the problem thing - although interesting enough, I bought Widgetlocker and as soon as I installed it and opened it up, my wallpaper stuck (I did chmod to 550). Now we will see if it sticks through OTA Rootkeeper as i want to stream some videos from Amazon so I have to temporary unroot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Noob...

Confused in Step 2;

Any idea how to do that step???

Do you have the SDK installed? If not, this can be done via Root Explorer if necessary.

Change your wallpaper, as desired.

Open Root Explorer.

Navigate to data > data > com.android.settings > files

Should be mounted as R/W already, but if it is R/O, tap Mount R/W at the top.

Long Press wallpaper.

Change permissions to 550:

re_550.jpg

If you want to change it to something else down the road, you will need to adjust these settings to 755, like so:

re_755.jpg

And then back to 550.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks from a Noob. This worked great for me too. Am I correct to assume that once you finish this process, to change the wallpaper to something different you would reset it back to 775 and then repeat the process after setting the new wallpaper on the KF? I noticed that in it's present state I can't change the wallpaper to something else.

Thanks again for all your help.

Yep, 775 will do, though 755 is good enough. Here are the steps from the command line (if you are using ADB):

Code:
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]C:\Users\[edited]>adb kill-server

C:\Users\[edited]>adb devices
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    47C0000600000001        device

C:\Users\[edited]>adb shell
    $ su -
    su -
    # cd /data/data/com.android.settings/files/
    cd /data/data/com.android.settings/files/
    # ls -l
    ls -l
    -r-xr-x--- system   system    1526946 2011-12-01 17:45 wallpaper
    # chmod 755 wallpaper
    chmod 755 wallpaper
    # ls -l
    ls -l
    -rwxr-xr-x system   system    1526946 2011-12-01 17:45 wallpaper
    # chmod 550 wallpaper
    chmod 550 wallpaper
    # ls -l
    ls -l
    -r-xr-x--- system   system    1526946 2011-12-01 17:45 wallpaper
    # _[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Code:

how exactly do you do this? What is chmod?

Sorry I am a little new to this
    I did this by the following:

On your PC go into the android sdk/platform-tools folder.
    Open a command prompt there - you should see something like c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>
    type adb shell - you should see a $ sign
    type su - you should see a # symbol
    then enter: chmod 550 /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

the enter adb reboot
    thsnks i went into that folder like you said on my pc then held **** and right clicked and used open command promp here.Then i did as you said and typed it all worked but adb reboot didnt i just typed reboot and it reboots the kindle but my live wallpaper isnt sticking

EDIT: it worked had do do it twice and it sticked thanks guys..