[TUR]Disable Home key or change to Power key

Search This thread

gshadefull

Sep 15, 2009
Bucharest
www.androidul.ro
No problem. I just got it working myself...
What File Manager did you use? I couldn't save with Astro, the file was read only...

I had to get ES file manager (that has a feature to use as root explorer) and finally was able to save the file :)

Reactions: airborne mp

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa
I used Root Explorer, Astro doesn't allow you to access with root privileges. For whatever reason, I couldn't navigate with ES Explorer to where I wanted to.

Reactions: airborne mp

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I like the other persons idea to make the button hide unhide the task bar. All we really need is to make it point to an app like Honeybar or Hideit. I assume we can change 102 to the app name.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Also if you open up Generic.kl right above the gpio-keys.kl, it will show you a list of other commands. The ones in the OP is on this long list so I don't see why you can't use any of them to assign to the home button.

Mar 16, 2011
Binghamton, NY
So I changed 102 to power and it turns the display off, but it won't turn it back on. Ideas?

Edit: Need to change it to POWER WAKE

That's 13 spaces. Don't know if you need thirteen, but the other button is thirteen so I did it..
Good day

Double Edit: xda took out my thirteen spaces and made me look like an idiot,

Triple edit: When I hit the soft button to turn the screen off, there is a short window of time where I can turn the screen back on with the home key. After a while it won't turn it back on, and I have to use the physical button. [7.5]

Last edited:

peoples_flip

Apr 24, 2011
Toronto
first backup /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl
edit /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl,
key 136 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED
key 139 MENU WAKE
key 102 UNKNOWN
key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
key 116 POWER WAKE
key 115 VOLUME_UP WAKE_DROPPED
key 114 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED

change 3td line to "key 102 UNKNOWN " to disable Home key.
u can change to "key 102 POWER", so u can screen on/off by pressing Home key
Edit/Delete Message

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!
(I pushed the thank you button already)

littleemp

May 18, 2011
Used this to rebind my volume buttons (I use Volume Widget to control volume) into Power buttons on both my Atrix 4G and A100 :) Thanks A LOT for this.

bjones72751

Nov 4, 2010
Worked great. Gets tiring hitting the damn home button in the middle of a game, lol. Now I have a fancy notification light, lol.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Destron5683

Jun 15, 2010
Just want to say thank you for this!

I play a lot of games on my tab and since most use the virtual dual analogue it puts your thumb in the perfect place to accidentally slide across that home button. Annoying as hell to be in the middle of a game and it suddenly jumps to the home screen, even more so when its a game that does not recover and starts you over.

That home button was officially the only thing I didn't like about my tab and now you fixed that. I don't even know why they put it there.

airborne mp

Feb 14, 2012
Works great!

I am new to Android and acer tablets, (had an iphone for 2 years now) but the more i can customize and tweak this great little tablet the more of an android fan i become.

niteh@wk

Oct 14, 2011
It works great!!

For those wanting more details how.

I used ROM Toolbox to do all this.

First I ran the Mount system read/write script on Scripter. Then I opened Terminal Emulator and issued these commands to backup the file. if the keyboard doesn't show, press menu and select toggle soft keyboard.

su
cd /system/usr/keylayout
cp gpio-keys.kl gpio-keys.kl.bak
exit
exit

then hit the on screen return button to get back to Rom Toolbox.
Now open Root Browser, navigate to the above directory. Long press on gpio-keys.kl file until a popup menu appears, select Open in Text Editor. Edit the file as instructed by sanixk.
Save.
Reboot.
Enjoy your new Home key function.

Sent from my A100 using xda premium

maek_it_happen

Sep 2, 2009
How can I set my volume buttons to act as my power button ? This would be useful for my a100 dash install since the button is on top instead of the side . Also would doing this affect ability to boot to recovery ?

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D with Beats Audio X515m using XDA App

Mar 16, 2011
Binghamton, NY
In-dash

Yeah, I'm putting my a100 in dash too, that's why I was subbed to this thread. If you read my posts a few back, I tell how to set the home key to power. unfortunately.. it doesn't really work the way you would hope.

Anyone else have any insight as to why the home key only works for power for a limited time after the screen is off?

maek_it_happen

Sep 2, 2009
It's because the homebutton works off the digitizer wich requires mod to the Rom to,keep it active wich would aeverly affect batt life I guess ill have to figure out some sort of button to be fabbed into the fiberglass adapter I'm building

Edit: You can change the volume buttons to wake the screen and to make sleep ,but when the device is off they do not power the device on.
Yeah, I'm putting my a100 in dash too, that's why I was subbed to this thread. If you read my posts a few back, I tell how to set the home key to power. unfortunately.. it doesn't really work the way you would hope.

Anyone else have any insight as to why the home key only works for power for a limited time after the screen is off?

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D with Beats Audio X515m using XDA App

Last edited:

maek_it_happen

Sep 2, 2009
As in the limited time issue that it will work ..

the easy way would be to make the camera or volume button as a wake button because they are hardware buttons and are always active....to make this work with home button ...you would need to modify the kernel so that the ditizer stays awake all the time. There is an app on my evo 3d that allows slide to wake ...the dev had to make a kernel for it to work ....it doesn't use that much battery ....so its very possible but you would need a kernel dev to pitch in

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using XDA

trichard

Mar 17, 2010
I just wonder is there anyone get the power button sploit due to press too much daily ......
Hence looking for alternate button....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    first backup /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl
    edit /system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl,
    key 136 SEARCH WAKE_DROPPED
    key 139 MENU WAKE
    key 102 UNKNOWN
    key 158 BACK WAKE_DROPPED
    key 116 POWER WAKE
    key 115 VOLUME_UP WAKE_DROPPED
    key 114 VOLUME_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED

change 3td line to "key 102 UNKNOWN " to disable Home key.
    u can change to "key 102 POWER", so u can screen on/off by pressing Home key
    Edit/Delete Message
    Hi, I have HP IPAQ 514 (Voice Messenger) :D and my red button is broken :(. It isn't actually broken, but when I click it, it doesn't respond :eek:. Instead, it responds whenever it wants :p. Is there a way to disable the button :confused: because it's really getting on my nerves :mad:. Please help, thanks :p!

Thank you for the morning laugh. This post fails on many levels. The Ipaq is Windows Mobile, not Android.
    We can change the behaviour of the physical keys of A100 from changing the file:/system/usr/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl
    sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    It works!

Just want to make sure this works before I attempt it...thanks
    I just tried it, and it works!

Thanks, @sanixk!