Search This thread

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Did u guys try doomlord's root tool v3 on this tablet? I was able to root my vizio vtab1008 using it (with adb files from android sdk (package in the thread i made about it, just check my threads) possibly you can use this instead of the modified system image.

----------------------------------------
tapatalked

smarcin

Mar 8, 2008
Minneapolis
I also have a p700. Are there any other differences from the Kohl's tab besides the 2gb vs 4gb of internal memory? I'm no dev, but have run Android starting with running it on my WM Touch. We ran Android from the microsd. I have also hard that people can run ROMs from the sd on the Nook color. Is there any chance we could do that?

As an aside, I couldn't get near the Menards in the Twin Cities on Black Friday. I got mine today for $119. :( Still, it's not bad. Slower than my Evo 3d, though.

I'm up for testing. I have LINUX dual booting on my netbook. I can als handle the command line in LINUX, have successfuly rooted my Android phones and can use adb.

I'm going to look for a version of the market that works.

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
so we need to find a windows program that will allow us to mount the image?

Yes, or a program on any other OS (LINUX is best bet)

I was able to get rockchip USB drivers installed for it and I have the updater tool that will allow us to completely wipe internal memory (caution!) and it allows you to flash an update image or each partition separately. I will post instructions and required files when I get home from work.
Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

Last edited:

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
fireproof34:
so we need to find a windows program that will allow us to mount the image?
Either Mount the image or allow us to view it and create a new image. It doesn't have to be a windows program. Linux would be fine as well. So far the only thing that seems to be able to view these images is the tablet itself.

FadeFx:
Did u guys try doomlord's root tool v3 on this tablet?
Yes, Since /system is a read only file system no one click tool is going to root this tablet.

smarcin:
I'm going to look for a version of the market that works.
The only true way of getting the andriod market to work is to be able to add the apk's to the /system/app folder and since /system is cramfs and is read only this can not be done until we find a way to modify the system.img and push it back to the tablet.

I would like to add that this isn't a simple root, i'm not going to say impossible but for some reason these tablets have images that linux and windows can not read. Once we get past that we can move from the read only cramfs system mount and push it to ext3. We can not do this until we can successfully modify the boot.img which still can not be opened. I dont want to sound like a broken record but the images can not be opened, If you find one that will open it/mount it that will be a breakthrough.

So far it looks like we have 3 options (2 of which we are stuck at)
1. Modify the existing cramfs system.img. If we find a way to modify this image we can push the proper tool to "root" this tablet and be able to add files to the /system/app folder. The problem with this approach is even if we are successful we would be putting the image back to cramfs which is read only which makes rooting this device useless since /system would be forced to be read only.

2. Move from cramfs to ext3. Currently we are stuck at find a way to modify both the system.img and boot.img. We have a way to dump everything in /system which makes modifying system.img less of a priority since we will have all the files. The only way to go to ext3 is to modify the boot files in the boot.img. This will be a true root solution since then /system will be writable once mounted.

3. This is the accept failure option. Rooting my not be possible so we may have to just install amazon marketplace or push apk files manually for some apps not available there.

drob311

I made some progress but not much... I got the img to mount... but when I open it, its empty... I'm starting to think this is a modified cramfs. I've got a buddy of mine working on this. He's a navy computer guy, worked with linux for years... awaiting his answer, but I'm gonna sit down right now and mess with this more. The 2 tabs from what I have read are damn near identical...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
I was able to get rockchip USB drivers installed for it and I have the updater tool that will allow us to completely wipe internal memory (caution!) and it allows you to flash an update image or each partition separately. I will post instructions and required files when I get home from work.

Sounds awesome, I definitely would like to take a look at this.

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
Rockchip Usb Drivers

I made a little tutorial that will be a little more useful once we can finally unpack this thing. It is instructions for installing the proper usb driver for the soc (RK2918) that powers this tablet. Also directions for flashing the partition of your choice. Also for you hardware enthusiasts here is a link to download the official data sheet for the soc. It has a ton of interesting info that anyone could enjoy. Shows you what this thing is really capable of if properly modified/unlocked.

Data Sheet

On with the tutorial!

You will need the following:

Drivers (windows only)

RK29 Update Tool

First things first MAKE SURE YOUR TABLET IS TURNED OFF and the USB is UNPLUGGED!!!!!!!!!
It is also recommended that you have at least half of your battery life remaining on the device.
And of course I am not responsible for any decisions you make whether they lead to bricking your device or pure profit!

DRIVER INSTALL

1) Unzip the archive with the drivers. Don't forget where you unzip to.

2) Press and hold down the "menu" button. While still holding menu, plug the usb cord from the computer into the tablet

3) Your pc will start looking for a driver automatically. It should fail to find any, if given the option, choose manual install.

4) If not given the option, you need to go to control panel > Device Manager

5) You should see an unknown devices in the list, right click on it

6) Choose "Update Driver Software..." and a new window will open.

7) Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and another window will open

8) Browse to the folder you unzipped the drivers to. Select the appropriate folder for your operating system. EX. C:\PMID700\Drivers\64bit\win7

9) Make sure to check the box next to "Include subfolders"

10) Click the "Next" button and windows should successfully install your driver

RK29 Update Tool

1) Download the tool from link above and extract the .zip file and open it.

2) Double click the "RK29Update.exe". RKAndroidTool v1.29 will run

3) If you installed the driver correctly and still connected to the pc with device power off, the big bold message at the bottom should read "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb." Success! Your device is attached and ready to be updated!

4) The Flash tab is where you want to be. From here you can choose exactly which Partition(s) you would like to update.

*CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION**CAUTION*

IF YOU CLICK THE "ERASEIDB" BUTTON YOU WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON INTERNAL MEMORY. If you do this make sure you have a backup or something to flash, as you will not even be able to turn on your device if you don't. I personally found this out the hard way, luckily I did an rkdump of all device partitions and was able to use the "RK29xxLoader(L).bin" and "parameter" files included in the "RK29_Update_Tool" folder, as I did not have the originals or update.img.

Have fun and be careful

fireproof34

NO breakthroughs today, but i was thinking ( i know they do this with the MIUI rom for the OG droid and the Milestone) Could we find a Tab with similar hardware that has been rooted and modify it and then flash that to this tab? I know it would be risky and maybe no one is willing to give it a shot but if some one is willing i think it would be worth a shot?

helirob

Oct 15, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Hey guys! I've read through the the thread and it sounds like you all have more knowledge about this than me, but I just thought I'd add that I got the Market to run, and get to the point where it says "Your item will be downloaded" but then I get a notification, "Download was unsuccessful, please try again." Is this because the Google Talk services are missing? Is it possible to install them without root? If I go to the market using the browser, I can start an install, and the market recognizes the device as the PTAB7200. I can click Install and it says "The app will be downloaded to your device shortly." but the download never starts.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Also, something happens when you connect the USB to the computer, hold down the volume up key, and hit reset. Windows 7 device manager shows the PTAB7200 disk drives go away and an unknown device appears. The tablet goes in to a state where it seems to be locked up. Only hitting reset or unplugging the usb brings it back. Seems like it's waiting for something to happen on the PC side.

rozzops

Nov 2, 2011
Neenah, WI
Hey guys! I've read through the the thread and it sounds like you all have more knowledge about this than me, but I just thought I'd add that I got the Market to run, and get to the point where it says "Your item will be downloaded" but then I get a notification, "Download was unsuccessful, please try again." Is this because the Google Talk services are missing? Is it possible to install them without root? If I go to the market using the browser, I can start an install, and the market recognizes the device as the PTAB7200. I can click Install and it says "The app will be downloaded to your device shortly." but the download never starts.

Hey, I noticed this as well. I believe its because we need to upgrade the googleframeworkservices.apk (not sure if thats the exact name). I found many android market apks but none of them worked. I believe the market file you have on your tablet has the most potential for working but i believe it needs the googleframeworkservice.apk in the /system/app folder. And we cant add it because... drum roll... cramfs (i've come up with a better name for this fs though). :)

FireProof34,
Its not that bad of an idea to try to find something else with this same hardware. Possibly find something else with the same hardware that has a hacked rom available. I have 2 of the pmid700s so i could give it a shot if we find something comparable.

chidave09,
Thanks for the tutorial. I hope we can use this soon.

drob311

I'm hoping to finally get some time tonight and play with my ptab some more... my guess is that the archos tab is very similar to ours... I did notice that when I run a one click root that su is in xbin and busybox is in bin... I'm resetting back to stock and I'm gonna check but I'm assuming those files are not included in the stock "ROM"... if they aren't, and the system is read only, than how did those files get there?

Edit: nevermind... the files are there but the system won't allow for the permissions to be changed... this little guy is one tough son of a *****... back to the drawing board... I am gonna experiment and see if I can mount the system.img while its on the tabs flash nand... rozzo hit me up on gtalk if you're available tonight after 8pm... I have some wild ideas

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
Also, something happens when you connect the USB to the computer, hold down the volume up key, and hit reset. Windows 7 device manager shows the PTAB7200 disk drives go away and an unknown device appears. The tablet goes in to a state where it seems to be locked up. Only hitting reset or unplugging the usb brings it back. Seems like it's waiting for something to happen on the PC side.

I think that is the same mode as I described above, if so, the drivers I linked above should be the ones needed. Going to put the tab in that mode in a minute to check if it is the same

*update* it is the same mode I mentioned earlier. This is for flashing updates. Not sure if there is any other use for this mode or not

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

Last edited:

sadsephiroth

Dec 1, 2011
Working workaround for me for the market. Install gmail from amazon. Sync your google account and in account setting enable background and auto sync. I also ran setup wizard apk and installed vending apk. Don't remember where I got them. Then log into market from pc. PTAB7200 was listed and allow the first couple things I have tried to be pushed to tablet.

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
Good News! ................... and some bad

I actually got system.img to mount in Ubuntu 11.10!! I know the window title says 11.04 in the screenshots, but I assure you it is .10, not that it matters. Problem is it says there is nothing on the mount point and a total of 0mb :mad:

screenshot1.png

Then I tried to view the properties on /temp and it says it is empty.

screenshot2.png

I decided to give this method a try with the boot.img, thinking convert to ext3? It is a no go, instead I get an error message.

screenshot3.png

Funny thing is, I can still see it (temp2) in the explorer pane!? So, I go into the folder where i set up the mount points but there is no temp2 folder, and continues to stay in the explorer bar until you do a umount or reboot. I then figured while I'm at why not try the kernel image? Same problem as boot image.

screenshot4.png

I am just curious as to why the system.img seems to work, but the is blank and the others work even less? Anyway I am going to do some more research, I figured this could be a step forward and had to share, Could some one please try this with their own system.img as I only have the one from the system partition as I was unable to get the update.img for some reason

*UPDATE*

To get a list of options to use with fusecram use this:
Code:
fusecram /path/to/system.img path/of/mountpoint -h
Looks like there could be some very useful things there, but honestly, I am very uneducated on this stuff.

If someone else could please take a look at this and try to make heads or tales of it, that would be much appreciated

Last edited:

advcomp2019

Dec 4, 2011
One thing that I see with the PMID700 tablets that I have is the time gets frozen or reset whenever the tablet gets locked. I am wondering if this is something with my two tablets or just these Polaroid tablets or all Android devices.

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
trying something a little different. I went ahead and did
Code:
C:\Android_Tools\android-sdk\tools>adb pull /system E:\ptab7\system
put the output over to linux and tried this
Code:
dave@ubuntu:~$ mkcramfs /media/94CC-B1DF/system /home/dave/ptab7/system.img
Directory data: 17372 bytes
Everything: 91884 kilobytes
Super block: 76 bytes
CRC: 466221a1
warning: gids truncated to 8 bits (this may be a security concern)

So, ok I have no idea what this means. Decided to do a little check
Code:
dave@ubuntu:~$ fusecram /home/dave/ptab7/system.img /home/dave/ptab7/temp
The image mounts and I can see all the files. Awesome right? Not really, when i flash with the rktool it goes through fine and the tablet reboots, but it gets stuck at the blue "internet tablet screen"

I am running low on ideas, but not giving up just yet!!

drob311

Last edited:

chidave09

Jan 28, 2009
Racine
just one problem though, i wasn't able to get the update.img. So unless I can get a copy of someone else's, I am just playing with the .imgs from different partitions. I really think I could get it if I had the update.img. Anyone willing to send me one from their tablet? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rockchip Usb Drivers

I made a little tutorial that will be a little more useful once we can finally unpack this thing. It is instructions for installing the proper usb driver for the soc (RK2918) that powers this tablet. Also directions for flashing the partition of your choice. Also for you hardware enthusiasts here is a link to download the official data sheet for the soc. It has a ton of interesting info that anyone could enjoy. Shows you what this thing is really capable of if properly modified/unlocked.

Data Sheet

On with the tutorial!

You will need the following:

Drivers (windows only)

RK29 Update Tool

First things first MAKE SURE YOUR TABLET IS TURNED OFF and the USB is UNPLUGGED!!!!!!!!!
    It is also recommended that you have at least half of your battery life remaining on the device.
    And of course I am not responsible for any decisions you make whether they lead to bricking your device or pure profit!

DRIVER INSTALL

1) Unzip the archive with the drivers. Don't forget where you unzip to.

2) Press and hold down the "menu" button. While still holding menu, plug the usb cord from the computer into the tablet

3) Your pc will start looking for a driver automatically. It should fail to find any, if given the option, choose manual install.

4) If not given the option, you need to go to control panel > Device Manager

5) You should see an unknown devices in the list, right click on it

6) Choose "Update Driver Software..." and a new window will open.

7) Choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and another window will open

8) Browse to the folder you unzipped the drivers to. Select the appropriate folder for your operating system. EX. C:\PMID700\Drivers\64bit\win7

9) Make sure to check the box next to "Include subfolders"

10) Click the "Next" button and windows should successfully install your driver

RK29 Update Tool

1) Download the tool from link above and extract the .zip file and open it.

2) Double click the "RK29Update.exe". RKAndroidTool v1.29 will run

3) If you installed the driver correctly and still connected to the pc with device power off, the big bold message at the bottom should read "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb." Success! Your device is attached and ready to be updated!

4) The Flash tab is where you want to be. From here you can choose exactly which Partition(s) you would like to update.

IF YOU CLICK THE "ERASEIDB" BUTTON YOU WILL ERASE ALL DATA ON INTERNAL MEMORY. If you do this make sure you have a backup or something to flash, as you will not even be able to turn on your device if you don't. I personally found this out the hard way, luckily I did an rkdump of all device partitions and was able to use the "RK29xxLoader(L).bin" and "parameter" files included in the "RK29_Update_Tool" folder, as I did not have the originals or update.img.

Have fun and be careful
    Flashing update

Here are the files for flashing rk29 Rockchip 2918 Polaroid PMID700. 7zip
    FYI, I will have a version 1.4 soon with ext4 support making it even a little faster :)

Bob
    New link will be up in minutes!

Stock 2.4 update
    http://db.tt/i83BNETN

Stock 2.4 images
    http://db.tt/MwNdgoNU

RK usb drivers
    http://db.tt/CAKnyPss

RK install tool
    http://db.tt/ESC6Lvaj

RK 2918 Data Sheet
    http://db.tt/aeWorbuv

Install CM7 instructions
    http://db.tt/WcjyT8Ek

Moded CM7
    http://db.tt/DJ0heMq3

Gapps Framework
    http://db.tt/DIufEiBq
    Somewhat working cm7 with google framework

This is how to get cm7 w/root and google framework installed.:D PLEASE READ EACH STEP BEFORE STARTING I believe it is very noob friendly. If not, pm me with any questions, try to keep the thread as clean as possible! lol. Right now wifi still does not work. To get this to work I am GUESSING we need to somehow unpack the original system.img from the manufacture and pull the proper files to push to the new system.img. I really want to check out the above post by duvvid (excellent first post by the way) to try this guess. Anyway, lets get on with it.

UPDATE 12/22

1) Make sure you have adb installed and working!!!!!!!!!

2) You need the rockusb drivers and RK29 Update Tool which can be found HERE along with a guide on getting them installed and working.

3) Download THIS zip and extract it somewhere you can remember

4) Open up the RK29 Update Tool

5) Erase IDB (warning: erases everything except the sd card, but it is important)

6) Check every box except "Backup" and fill each one with the files downloaded in step 3.

7) Click "Run". This will send everything and boot your tab into recovery to do the operations. This is *not* the last step.

8) Silver Android logo? Default AOSP boot screen! And there's CM7 boot!

9) First thing it asks you to choose an app. Choose "Setup Wizard"

10) Complete setup, skipping the sign in. We can easily do this when we get wifi working. Setup will probably start over when you finish but will FC after 2nd run, which is fine.

11) Open the "File Manager" app and navigate to /system/app and click to install the following apps. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE any rebooting. Most will say not installed. That is fine, but for some reason if you don't do this you will have a bootloop. If any one is bored, I welcome you to try different combos to try and shorten this list:

CarHomeGoogle
    FOTAKill
    GenieWidget (news & weather widget)
    GoogleBackupTransport
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GoogleFeedback
    GooglePartnerSetup
    GoogleQuickSearchBox
    GoogleServicesFramework
    LatinImeTutorial
    MarketUpdater
    MediaUploader
    NetworkLocation
    OneTimeInitializer
    SetupWizard
    Talk
    Vending

12) Back out of the file manager and open the app drawer.

13) Open either "Market" or "Talk" or both (prefered) and back out (they may take a second to show up in launcher, but they will show)

14) Reboot and ENJOY!!!! Also if you had seen the lockscreen before the

reboot you would notice it is really screwed, well not any more.

ADDITIONAL INFO

I have most google apps from the market HERE. Just extract the zip, copy them to your sdcard, and install.

The tablet is already setup to appear as Nexus S in the market with Sprint as the carrier.

Link to folder with all files for tablet HERE

I have the 7200. I went through everything I did and my problem was I used a 2.08 loader that came with one of the flashing tools I used. It was for a later SDK then the one our tablet uses, with a EXT3 filesystem I believe.

So then, I guess we can flash different loaders ONLY IF they are v1.65. Any other loader WILL BRICK your device

More Info Soon.

Most of my info to do all this came from THIS thread. Check it out if you get a chance. I also got a lot of info from many, many sites. Google search rk29xx or cramfs and at least the top 10 results of each were used as a reference tool!