[Tool][Windows Only][Root] Android Reverse Tethering 3.3
Android Reverse Tethering for windows users.
Tethering is the ability to surf on your pc using the 3g of your phone
Reverse tethering is the opposite : surf on your phone using the ADSL of your PC. No Wifi or 3G connection required.
This work only for rooted users !!!
For non rooted users, you can try my other solution, but require more manipulations and is limited to surf : http://www.codeproject.com/KB/androi...orwarding.aspx
Unpack the zip file. This zip files contains the windows part, ADB and the android APK.
Before starting the tool :
- You must install drivers for your device. Generic driver provided by google is on the usb_driver.zip
You can also check the Universal Naked Driver
- Ensure you have debugging enabled on your phone :
Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging > Turn On
- Ensure you have root access AND SuperUser application installed.
Change the superuser settings (Menu -> Preferences -> Notifications part) :
Uncheck "Notifications" label to display "Do not show notification when an app is granted Su Permissions"
The AndroidTool.exe is the windows part
The low level communication tool (ADB) is included in the zip file.
AndroidTool will try to find ADB in c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\adb.exe
If not found he will use the provided one.
The first time you use the program :
Start reverse tethering
- If you want to use another version of ADB, clik "config" and in the first tab enter the path to the ADB
- Select the DNS server to use in the right list. On complex system, some dns can be detected.
Just click “Connect”.
If it's the first time you use the program, This will install the latest android package and the dependencies (busybox and redsocks).
The SuperUser process may ask you to allow “Usb tunnel”
If the android process crash after receiving superuser rights, close the windows program and start again.
The android interface (first tab) will show connections forwarded to windows.
Others tabs are just for debugging (give information about system route tables and connections). Not yet finished.
Start your browser
Google chrome will complain that no connection is available. Don’t care. That work.
Firefox , opera and dolphin don’t have problem with that !!!
The current version of the application can’t forward low level ICMP packet (PING).
From Android Os point of vue, there is no internet connection.
Google Market/Play :
The search market work, but it’s not possible to download.
The application want to have an active 3G or Wifi network interface.
Some market applications are tagged "Wifi" only.
I can't fix this problem without changing low level API (ConnectivityManager/ConnectivityService).
If a developer can generate a Service.jar enabling traces in ConnectivityService class, he can send it to me.
To get around this problem
, you can activate the 3G BEFORE starting reverse tethering,all the data will goes to the usb.
Tips : You can connect to some wifi hotspot not protected by a key.
It's only when you want to surf that the hotspot ask you a user/password.
But, at this point, we have an 'active' connection. Market download should work after starting reverse tethering.
Other apps :
The system detect automatically ports like http (80), https (443) , Market (5228),UDP ports like DNS, ...
You don't need to add static ports in the windows program (config / ports).
So unless the application is not well written, it must work.
I suppose it's more than 95%
Not fully working application:
- Market (only download)
- Skype use the same 'interesting' API to check connection
- If someone know another one, post a reply !
If your device is not listed in the "select a device" combobox :
- Ensure Usb debugging is enabled (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging > Turn On). Deactivating and reactivating the Debug mode may help
- The ADB subsystem is sometimes not working properly. Click the "Kill ADB" button (on Tools)
- Your device is perhaps not installed properly. See your device manufacturer. On the download section of this article, the usb_driver.zip contains a generic driver. Lastest version can be download here : http://developer.android.
Click refresh or restart the tool to detect your device.
If the connection shutdown often, try another usb cable
Proxy settings must be set on your browser (stock browser don't allow it)
You can use 2 browsers : one at home (without proxies) and one at work (with proxies) like firefox
For Firefox : Type "about
:config" in the address bar
For Opera : Type "opera:config" in the address bar
(Ask google for configuration options)
Tested under :
Tested under more than 20 android models. Thanks for your feedback
Version 3.3 : minor update
- Updated low level binaries (smaller)
- Better connection
Version 3.02 : minor bugfix.
Version 3.00 beta
: major update
- Rewrite low level communication. Should be more faster and more stable
- Simplify user interface.
- Fix systray
Version 2.30 : minor update
- Added systray support on the windows tool.
Last 20 seconds upload and download graph is displayed in tray.
Minimize or click to systray icon to put it to systray. click again to show the tool.
Main Todo list :
- Find a way to allow market download (one day). Proxy is no more on planning.
Follow new updates on twitter : @ReverseTether
Older versions are removed (180000 downloads)