Thanks Button?

Search This thread

twospirits

Nov 28, 2007
NYC
www.S4GRU.com
Can we have the amount of thanks increased from 5 to something else because i dont think 5 thanks per 24 hours is enough especially on a forum like XDA were the amount of support you get can make you say thanks via the button alot.

It is only five thanks per day to make sure you are only thanking people who really deserve it and to make sure some users do not abuse the system.

Yea, nowadays it's like "help me and I'll hit the thanks button for the next 10 days" :D
While its understandable to a certain extent that folks can abuse the system, I do find the limit of just 5 thanks a day very limiting.

The way I see it is, its better to have a post with more thanks given by way of the thanks button than a thread full of written out thanks which just add to the thread being bloated with needless conversation. This will keep the thread on course and does not require the reader to have to go through so many postings that really do not add to the conversation/instructions/development at hand.

TS

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Summary:

• The Thanks button and meters only appears using the 2010 style not the Classic theme (there is a drop down box, bottom left of forum pages to change the style).
  • The thanks button does not show until after you have started posting,
  • Only one post is needed to allow the Thanks Button to show, but there can be a server delay meaning you may not see it until you have made a few posts or until the next time you login.
  • There are no plans to increase the thanks limit from 5 per day. This is set relatively low to prevent abuse and also to encourage some selectivity about when you choose to use the button.
  • The thanks bar fills quickly at first, but when your thanks count gets higher the bar fills more slowly.
  • We cannot alter your thanks count. Sometimes when posts are deleted / merged your thanks count will decrease. If a User has two accounts which are merged to adhere to our rule of one account per User, the thanks count may not reflect the total of the original accounts. We have no easy / practicable way of correcting this.
  • We discourage Users from soliciting Thanks and they should never be required in return for providing replies or anything else. The same rules that apply to Donations apply to Thanks, they should be given freely and without pressure / obligation.

Last edited:

aapman88

Dec 3, 2011
i had two thanks, not sure for which post, but they gone now. Anyone an idea how this could have happend?

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
i had two thanks, not sure for which post, but they gone now. Anyone an idea how this could have happend?

Maybe the thanked posts got deleted. It can happen and if someone has been thank many times in a long thread which then gets deleted, they can lose many thanks in one go.

Then again, maybe it's because we know you are the sorta guy who really isn't bothered about his thanks count:D;)

aapman88

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe the thanked posts got deleted. It can happen and if someone has been thank many times in a long thread which then gets deleted, they can lose many thanks in one go.

Then again, maybe it's because we know you are the sorta guy who really isn't bothered about his thanks count:D;)

ghehe, i guess thanks

R23PO

Dec 24, 2011
thanks

so if I click the thanks button will it tell the person that I sent them a thanks? because I would like for certain users to know they helped me and I'm appreciative.

Reactions: msafdaryan

ohjay93

May 9, 2010
Why does one need to post before thanking?

I am a silent user, it is not often I have something to contribute with, but I am still immensely grateful for all the effort the devs are putting in.

How come I must post something and spam the forum (this message) in order to thank my favorite devs?

Reactions: msafdaryan

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls
I am a silent user, it is not often I have something to contribute with, but I am still immensely grateful for all the effort the devs are putting in.

How come I must post something and spam the forum (this message) in order to thank my favorite devs?

this is my question also. Yet, I think when "they" go over your first 10 posts, they will disregard this one.....

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement

If you spam the forum to circumvent the rules, you will have your posts deleted or your account suspended.

pa1nk1ller

Dec 21, 2011
If you only have to say thank you.
Hit the thanks button.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes it´s a new feature that started today, some bugs are present for example on the 2010 XDA skin is not enabled yet, only in old style.
    Stay tuned soon we will have it fully functional for sure!

Admin Edit:

The system is now up and working. See below:

Summary:

• The Thanks button and meters only appears using the 2010 style not the Classic theme (there is a drop down box, bottom left of forum pages to change the style).
    • The thanks button does not show until after you have started posting,
    • Only one post is needed to allow the Thanks Button to show, but there can be a server delay meaning you may not see it until you have made a few posts or until the next time you login.
    • There are no plans to increase the thanks limit from 5 per day. This is set relatively low to prevent abuse and also to encourage some selectivity about when you choose to use the button.
    • The thanks bar fills quickly at first, but when your thanks count gets higher the bar fills more slowly.
    • We cannot alter your thanks count. Sometimes when posts are deleted / merged your thanks count will decrease. If a User has two accounts which are merged to adhere to our rule of one account per User, the thanks count may not reflect the total of the original accounts. We have no easy / practicable way of correcting this.
    • We discourage Users from soliciting Thanks and they should never be required in return for providing replies or anything else. The same rules that apply to Donations apply to Thanks, they should be given freely and without pressure / obligation.
    Wish there was an "unthanks" button too because I just managed to press it accidently whilst scrolling on the XDA android app

Think about the "thanks" button as a kiss. You can´t un-kiss somebody, even if you regret having done it.
    It is a very good idea! :)
    Is this new? I've seen it on a few threads now.
    How do I put a thanks button on my posts??? I have 223 posts....