Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,642 Members 44,322 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Giving 5 Nokia Lumia 800 to homebrew devs who need them!

Tip us?

JustinAngel
Old
(Last edited by JustinAngel; 13th December 2011 at 08:11 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default Giving 5 Nokia Lumia 800 to homebrew devs who need them!

Hi folks,

I'm giving away 5 WP7 Nokia Lumia 800 carrier unlocked devices to homebrew devs who need them.

My goal is to give this hardware out to devs who will use it for either:
  • Port existing homebrew apps/features/hacks to Nokia Lumia 800.
  • Create new Nokia Lumia specific homebrew apps/features/hacks.
  • Anything else that you can convince me makes sense.

"I want one of these free phones, what's next?"
Respond to this forum post with the following information:
  1. What will you use the Nokia Lumia 800 for? The more specific the better. (see the aforementioned list of goals)
  2. Up to 3 links (+ explanation) showing that you have the previous experience required to meet your development goal.
  3. Anything else you think will help you get one of the Lumia 800 phones.

More details and fine print
  • I'm the one giving away phones, not any previous or future employer of mine.
  • I'll choose who gets the phones and I'll do so at my own discretion. I'm under no obligation to anyone about anything. It's mine, my own, my precious.
  • Twitter proof this is a Justin Angel Genuine Offer™ @ https://twitter.com/#!/JustinAngel/s...62884024385537
  • Picture of the fabled phones @ http://twitpic.com/7r1731 (The 6th phone in this picture is now my personal phone and it's awesome)
  • Recipients of this give-away will be announced on this forum, and via private message asking for contact details.
  • The giveaway ends when submissions have tapered off. At minimum that'll be on 23/12/2011.
  • If giving you a 700$ phone isn't OK under your local laws (e.g. government employees) please don't submit your name.
  • This giveaway is available world-wide. However if you live outside the USA, I'll need to figure out how to ship the phones to you, so it'll take a little longer.
  • My definition of homebrew is "stuff that can't be shipped on the WP7 Marketlpace within the limitations of the current mango application framework".
  • If you can't comment on this forum due to the 10+ minimum posts, you can email your details to me directly at J@JustinAngel.net.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JustinAngel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nirmitk26
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Nice!

Challange Accepted!

stringray
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinAngel View Post
I'm the one giving away phones, not any previous or future employer of mine.
So this is your way of saying that your current employer, Nokia, is paying for this? Afterall, it is kind of suspicious that you visit their HQ and suddenly possess all those Lumia's ;)

Cool thing, though!

ZeBond
Old
(Last edited by ZeBond; 21st December 2011 at 05:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
1. Research of undocumented OS capabilities - I know it's quite general, but that's what I do a lot anyway. Examples include:
  • attempts to access more phone capabilities through AT commands
  • try to access the app:// URI scheme from third-party apps and the browser
  • telnet into the phone
  • research OS vulnerabilities
  • access external hardware (read: microcontrollers) from the phone, directly or through a client-server link
2. 3. More work I wrote about available here and here.

Arktronic
Old
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Er, why'd you post this in the Windows 8 section instead of the WP7 one?
Phones: Nokia 6800 Typhoon (SMT5600) ► Hermes (TyTN) ► Raphael (Fuze) ► Samsung Focus Flash + Lumia 710
Tablets: B&N NOOKcolor
Tweet @Arktronic

Want to ping or do DNS and WHOIS lookups on WP7? Get my Network Suite app! Want to have self-updating code in your own WP7 apps? Check out LiveLibs.

"Ну, чумадан, погоди!"
The Following User Says Thank You to Arktronic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JustinAngel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktronic View Post
Er, why'd you post this in the Windows 8 section instead of the WP7 one?
Snap, good point. Computers are hard. If a mod can move this to WP7 Dev & Hacking that'll be awesome.

Arktronic
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
I should probably enter this giveaway. I haven't had a Nokia device in quite a while (see my sig).

1. I'll use it to test my various hacks, especially to compare my current 1st gen's performance to the Nokia.
2a. Don't want to link publicly yet, but I DM'd you about it yesterday. Performance with that project will be a very important factor.
2b. Hacks such as RingRing7 (which I've been meaning to update for Mango), a project like that is still useful for creating your own ringtones instead of just DLing others' stuff
2c. Just as as reference for stuff I've done, ArkSwitch was a pretty damn popular WM6x task manager
3. As a leader/cofounder of my local ALT.NET group, I'm always be showing off my cool gadgets - publicity

Thanks!
Phones: Nokia 6800 Typhoon (SMT5600) ► Hermes (TyTN) ► Raphael (Fuze) ► Samsung Focus Flash + Lumia 710
Tweet @Arktronic

Want to ping or do DNS and WHOIS lookups on WP7? Get my Network Suite app! Want to have self-updating code in your own WP7 apps? Check out LiveLibs.

"Ну, чумадан, погоди!"

Arktronic
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Snap, good point. Computers are hard. If a mod can move this to WP7 Dev & Hacking that'll be awesome.
I reported the thread for moving, should be done as soon as a mod sees it.
Tweet @Arktronic

"Ну, чумадан, погоди!"

RustyGrom
Old
Thanks Meter 26
1. I've been at this stuff for a while. Here's my first thread on XDA... an app I wrote for WinMo 5 over 5yrs ago. Wow... can't believe it's been that long. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=263051
2. I've got experience with interop on WP7 (although I haven't been able to bust into the Mango stuff yet) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914055
3. I like to share what I've learned. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1147933
4. I've been working on WP7 since before WP7 was even out and sharing my findings http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40#post7190440

Ok so that's four links but you said anything else that would help us get one :P. I could go on but hopefully that's enough.
I'm currently working on getting com interop unlock working on the HTC Mango devices. Would love to get it working on everything. From there, who knows what's possible? Depends on what Nokia put in their drivers. An actual flashlight app will likely be first on the list since it's easy and really handy.

Oh and one of those should go to heathcliff. Pretty sure he could get some good use out of one.
aka FlatSurfSucks aka @AdamUCF.

Jaxbot
Old
(Last edited by Jaxbot; 23rd December 2011 at 04:45 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 547

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hi folks,

I'm giving away 5 WP7 Nokia Lumia 800 carrier unlocked devices to homebrew devs who need them.

My goal is to give this hardware out to devs who will use it for either:
  • Port existing homebrew apps/features/hacks to Nokia Lumia 800.
  • Create new Nokia Lumia specific homebrew apps/features/hacks.
  • Anything else that you can convince me makes sense.

"I want one of these free phones, what's next?"
Respond to this forum post with the following information:
  1. What will you use the Nokia Lumia 800 for? (see the aforementioned list of goals)
  2. Up to 3 links (+ explanation) showing that you have the previous experience required to meet your development goal.
  3. Anything else you think will help you get one of the Lumia 800 phones.
Wow, nice initiative! Here's my two cents.

1) I would use the Nokia Lumia 800 for further development with WindowsPhoneHacker, not only including development of our current homebrew applications, but serious research on native code, interop, and exploits (we've got some processes in queue, trust me)

2) Some of my work (I'm sure most of you are well aware of what I've been up to): http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl...lease-12-12-11
http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl...lease-10-27-11
http://windowsphonehacker.com/articl..._hack-03-19-11 (old gold)
and most everything else on the WPH site.
We're currently in the process of doing something I can't really talk about, but it involves interop, and freedom, and the suffix "break", and in order to expand this research to all OEMs and users, we would need to add Nokia to that portfolio

3) I believe in freedom. I understand Microsoft's security and limitations, and it makes sense for the end user. But I believe all WP users should have a choice on what they want for their device, whether it be a homebrew application, or a method of unlocking the phone to it's full potential. That's the goal in mind, and I ensure you I'll have some seriously neat stuff to share in the near future, and with a Nokia device, we'll have one more OEM we can get it ported to.

Edit: Thought I'd throw this in there: I'm a student, and thus my ability to purchase new phones is fairly limited. Everything I do is volunteer and free, for the good of the community.

Edit 2:
Here's the project I mentioned but wasn't ready to disclose yet. I'm working on Nokia specifically, because it seems like the easiest to crack open if I can get around the whitelist. My major goal, if I get a device, would be to get this working, along with interop, and then see about registry/file system access. It's a start

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5#post20616855
That guy from Windows Phone Hacker, 2009-2013. Retired June 2013.
Personal Blog | Twitter | Youtube

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxbot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]