Manual Nooter Sort of Works on 1.4.1

Search This thread

davidr415

Feb 16, 2011
Could you give me a rough idea of how smooth and fast the rooted 1.4 Nook is compared to pure stock 1.4 and to CM7?

Just trying to get a feel for the convenience/performance tradeoffs.

Thanks..

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
The manualnooter setup is still based on the stock kernel, so far as I know, so you won't get the overclocked features of CM just yet.

Performance seems decent, but my perspective has been ruined since playing with the Nook Tablet I bought for my wife. That device is definitely smoother.

I haven't had any in-app performance, problems, but after the initial root, I've had a few hangups as the device seems to be syncing for extended periods. I've had the same thing after burning a new ROM to my phone. (Must be the NSA again!) 12 hours later, it was fine. I just finished resetting to 1.3 and doing the entire process, and it's taken 10 minutes for book covers to appear again. The sync indicator is still on. Must. Avoid. Playing. at least until it's done.

Netflix, HBO and Max GO all play. They do look a bit pixelated, but appeared the same on CM on my device. They are definitely watchable. Haven't tried YouTube yet.

I haven't tried many games yet. I'll update as I spend more time with it.

No change to dual-booting with CM7.1 on SD.

Reactions: davidr415

Philomorph

Mar 10, 2011
Works for me with 1.4.1

I finally decided to upgrade my manually nooted 1.3 NC to 1.4.1 when I saw the latest posts in this thread over the weekend.

Yesterday I tried all day to update after doing an erase/deregister but I couldn't get the 1.4.1 update to load.

Then someone reminded me that I probably still had an old CWM on the thing, so I did a stock restore using what was supposed to be a 1.3 ROM.

For some weird reason after that process the NC said it was running 1.2, and the home screen kept flashing off and on! But I went into settings and that stopped, and I let it sleep and the install file in root caught and it updated to 1.4.1.

Then I manually nooted it using the manualnooter-5.12.19 and it works great now! Google Market seems fully functional and so does Amazon Market. I've installed apps from both, updated from both, and can see videos on the google market, which I never could on 1.3.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
Just watch loading it up too. Much until GMPOWER releases and APPS2SD kernel with manualnooter.

harryzee

Apr 17, 2011
Rather than going the update route to 1.4.1 from my MN 1.3, I took a shot at simply installing MN 5-12-20 onto my existing (and well backed up) structure.

Though I haven't checked out everything, the update went without a hitch and I can now get HBO GO (not quite the visual quality of Netflix but it will suffice). Market interface has changed also.

Will continue to check it out today and report back.

PS: Just got back from a local BN and all is well with both shopping and in-store reading.

Not at all sure what advantage 1.4.1 would give me at this point.

Last edited:

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
[...] Not at all sure what advantage 1.4.1 would give me at this point.
Conde Nast subscriptions (Wired, New Yorker, others) will work on a NC with 1.4.1, changes to 'n' button behavior which I prefer, reader support landscape mode and other enhancements.

Nothing earth shattering, but those are the ONLY reason I'd run stock B&N firmware, personally.

harryzee

Apr 17, 2011
My (free) Vanity Fair and Time apps work great in both portrait and landscape. I subscribe to both in paper so I get the free app.

AS an FYI...the Kindle app I access through the Zeam launcher can "read" in both portrait and landscape but the NC reader under "Home" remains locked in portrait mode. So with Netflix and HBO Go working under Zeam and "in store reading" and successful B&N transactions and downloads I am reasonably set!

I am sure that there are other benefits for powerusers beyond my level but at this point I just don't see the plus of redoing my unit vs. the simple and successful install of 5.12.20 over my MN 1.3.

Obviously my needs/wants could change at some point.

Last edited:
Well I reloaded stock 1.1 then updated to 1.4.1 which is where I am now.

When there is an OC kernel available I will root then. This experience has taught me that all I really need is faster speed and louder speakers. There isn't really anything I need that are on Amazon's or Google's markets. I paid for the Office Suite Pro app from B&N so that is covered. I have a few other games as well that I have purchased from them. However I primarily use the device to watch movies when out and about (hence the louder speaker and wanting more speed) and for *gasp* reading books. I do very light web browsing on it as well.

I love my Nook Color. I have used the Tablet for a few hours and it is definitely a nice piece of gear. If there was a way to increase the stock speaker volume that would be cool. As it stands now, I know I will be getting in the next few months.

ClarkSt

Oct 29, 2010
I updated to 1.4.1 and manualnooter 5.12.20. All good except a few things bad:

1) I can't even get Angry Birds in the Market. I can get a lot of other stuff, but other stuff is not there.

2) The N button is a nightmare. Used to be I could set it to go to ADW Lanucher and then use the Nook Home to go into the Nook world. A quick N button push and I'm back in tablet world. For some who prefer to hang in Nook world, that's fine. For others, who use their Nook more for Kindle reading and tablet stuff, it's a bummer.

My only thought now is to try and move all the apps into Nook world... I hope that works, but then again, I can't have widgets there, right...

Any thoughts appreciated.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Last night I went from CM7 to rooted 1.4.1 using these instructions:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1438212

I did this because I've really been using my TouchPad as my tablet and my Nook Color as a reader and lightweight browser/mail client, so CM7 felt a little "heavy". I also wasn't able to use content like my Entertainment Weekly digital subscription unless I went back to (relatively) stock.

I'm using Dalingrin's most recent Froyo kernel along with SetCPU to run at 1200MHz. It's silky smooth. I have access to the Android Market and Amazon AppStore, and I've side-loaded many of my apps, primarily Amazon Kindle, Google Currents, and a few games.

I have LauncherPro Plus as my launcher, though as the previous poster mentioned, the "N" button behavior is REALLY annoying now! Press it once and you get the little bar on the bottom with Home/Library/Apps/etc., and press it again to actually go back to the launcher. Considering that previously I was using the soft home key in CM7 almost exclusively, this has me a bit concerned about the longevity of my "N" button! Yes, I have Button Savior installed (I prefer it to SoftKeys), but I really use it as a backup for apps that go full screen but still have a dependency on the Menu or Back keys. I wouldn't want to have to use that as my Home key full-time.

For what it's worth, I tried doing things the other way...bringing my side-loaded apps into the Nook's stock launcher using Nook Color App Manager, but between the fact that each screen can only accommodate a 4x3 grid of items (including apps, books, magazines, etc.) and the fact that just swiping from screen to screen more often ends up moving one of your desktop icons out of place, I don't feel I could have that be my day-to-day home screen.

Of course, almost immediately after I got all this set up, I saw that a second build of ICS has been posted that evidently is pretty far along, so my move back to rooted stock may end up being very short-lived.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
You can use HomeCatcher to allow the 'n' button to go directly to your default launcher.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Yeah, I've tried clearing defaults on all of the apps that seem to be "home" apps, e.g., Nook Home, Button Catcher, Go Launcher EX (which I'm now using instead of LPP), Zeam, etc., but still the first tap of the "n" button brings up the Nook button bar and the second prompts me for which launcher to use. Any thoughts on how to get "n" to go straight to my preferred launcher?

beaujack

Aug 24, 2011
Princeton, NJ
Had a crippled 1.3 NC thanks to 4.6.16, installed clean 1.2 and manually to 1.4.1. Left it cherry for a day or two, I liked it. Rooted w/5.12.18 and now have had a stable NC since first rooting 1.2 in Aug 2011. Waiting for next shoe to drop, but enjoying it. Not the most robust software I've ever seen, but since I've written & supported much buggy stuff since the '60s, can't really whine too much.

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Just thought I'd check back in and see if anyone had successfully gotten the "n" button a rooted 1.4.1 installation to go straight to the preferred launcher instead of first bringing up the menu back and only on second tap going to the launcher.

Aside from this usability annoyance, I'm actually REALLY happy with my Nook now that I'm on rooted 1.4.1 with Dalingrin's last Froyo kernel overclocked to 1.2GHz. Unfortunately I have no idea how to work around it...

UPDATE: I just found this thread where a user modified SystemUI.apk on the Nook Tablet to modify the "n" button behavior to be standard "Home" behavior and also made the soft buttons/status bar persistent. I've asked whether the modification might work on a rooted Nook Color, though I suspect it won't. However, I would think we could apply the same changes to the Nook Color's SystemUI that he's applied to the Nook Tablet's and achieve the same overall effect. If I get to the bottom of this I'll post the results back up here.

Last edited:

lagomilo

Sep 25, 2007
Just thought I'd check back in and see if anyone had successfully gotten the "n" button a rooted 1.4.1 installation to go straight to the preferred launcher instead of first bringing up the menu back and only on second tap going to the launcher.

Aside from this usability annoyance, I'm actually REALLY happy with my Nook now that I'm on rooted 1.4.1 with Dalingrin's last Froyo kernel overclocked to 1.2GHz. Unfortunately I have no idea how to work around it...

UPDATE: I just found this thread where a user modified SystemUI.apk on the Nook Tablet to modify the "n" button behavior to be standard "Home" behavior and also made the soft buttons/status bar persistent. I've asked whether the modification might work on a rooted Nook Color, though I suspect it won't. However, I would think we could apply the same changes to the Nook Color's SystemUI that he's applied to the Nook Tablet's and achieve the same overall effect. If I get to the bottom of this I'll post the results back up here.

Did you ever find out if that modified systemui from the tablet would work on the color???

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
I ported it over for you, just flash the file “Statusbar_mod” from CWM. Since it changes a system framework file, it will take about 5 minutes to start back up after flashing. Since you will loss a way to select the “Shop” and “Library” buttons, just install “AnyCut” or “BetterCut” to create a shortcut for them. To return to stock, just flash “Statusbar_stock” from CWM.

Attachments

• Statusbar_Stock.zip
    798.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Statusbar_Mod.zip
    797.9 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Reactions: SCWells72

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
I ported it over for you, just flash the file “Statusbar_mod” from CWM. Since it changes a system framework file, it will take about 5 minutes to start back up after flashing. Since you will loss a way to select the “Shop” and “Library” buttons, just install “AnyCut” or “BetterCut” to create a shortcut for them. To return to stock, just flash “Statusbar_stock” from CWM.

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! Works PERFECTLY! I used AnyCut to create those shortcuts and just added a third dockbar to GO Launcher EX that replicates the relevant parts of the quicknav bar. I am not kidding when I say you just helped my Nook Color to reach very near perfection for how I'm using it!

Thanks again!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking a bit more at rooting via manual nooter on OS 1.4.1.

As of now, the Android Market is not working

In my hands, the BN shop is also not working. Books cannot be downloaded. (The reader does work, though, so you can shop and then download to your PC, then push the files in manually if you like.)

Together, those two elements not working argue against rooting 1.4.1 for anything other than study and development, I think.

- 1.4.1 installs on a device which had already been rooted (this device is rooted but not overclocked.)

- boot from a manual nooter 4-5-18 disks works

- after applying MN 4.5.18 and the APK enabler, the device booted. Root was retained and SU works fine (I was able to use adb wireless)

- install via ADB works

Other things to be aware of:

- this is not a Gingerbread release for the NC.

- the home button behavior is changed a LOT. Home Catcher for the Nook Tablet will also work here, though.

- the device automagically snarfs Google contacts if it's registered to a gmail address, it seems. There is no warning on that. I think that behavior is a Big Effing Problem.
    Market is up. Some apps still missing. Having a bit of problem with Zeam launcher. Nook launcher is taking control.

Straight from my ICS i897 Sonic Screwdriver!!!!!
    Anyone check to see if it will still boot from an SD card, just want to confirm before update, but because it is still rootable I can always downgrade.

Others have tested and confirmed, but that's not something they can change on this device with a software update anyway
    The manualnooter setup is still based on the stock kernel, so far as I know, so you won't get the overclocked features of CM just yet.

Performance seems decent, but my perspective has been ruined since playing with the Nook Tablet I bought for my wife. That device is definitely smoother.

I haven't had any in-app performance, problems, but after the initial root, I've had a few hangups as the device seems to be syncing for extended periods. I've had the same thing after burning a new ROM to my phone. (Must be the NSA again!) 12 hours later, it was fine. I just finished resetting to 1.3 and doing the entire process, and it's taken 10 minutes for book covers to appear again. The sync indicator is still on. Must. Avoid. Playing. at least until it's done.

Netflix, HBO and Max GO all play. They do look a bit pixelated, but appeared the same on CM on my device. They are definitely watchable. Haven't tried YouTube yet.

I haven't tried many games yet. I'll update as I spend more time with it.

No change to dual-booting with CM7.1 on SD.