Bad signal on VZW GNex

Search This thread

jedblack

May 6, 2006
Single problems in NYC

same here guys/gals...

Got the phone yesterday and have had the signal problems...

I also notice it way more prevalent indoors, but not just deep indoors -- for example, I live on the fifth floor of an apartment building, i'm sitting infront of the window with nothing but clear blue skies in front of me... I should have one of the strongest signals possible (-75 dbm) but, its now hovering around -108dbm.

As some were stating it may be the update that caused this, like a good little nerd I did the update withing 10mins of having the phone, so I dont no...

One other thing to note, its not just the CDMA/LTE radios, the WIFI is suffering from the same problem. I am sitting in the same room as my netgear router and the phone is only showing 3-bars, its usually dancing between full bars and threes bars, with me sitting from it 6 feet away. Now, when I go to the other side of the apartment(about 25 feet away) my laptop and wife's VZW Iphone4 show full Wifi signal, the Nexus drops down to the little first bar/dot

I hope this is a software glitch, and not hardware -- either case, they need to come up with a fix fast, the phone is in a fairly unusable state. If its a hardware failure, they are going to have to do a massive recall/replacement campaign, there is not way they cant, or even spin this, the problem is that prevalent. Its worse then the whole Iphone4 reception debacle.

dnoyeb

Nov 15, 2007
Auburn, AL
Didn't realize how bad this was until I turned off wifi... my time without signal is almost 30% in my house while my wife's inc2 has 0%.

Yuck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mymilkexpired

Nov 30, 2010
I'm seeing similar behavior. The 3/4g signal strength is not that great. I'm constantly on the last bar for 4g and the 2nd or 3rd bar for 3g.

jedblack

May 6, 2006
Didn't realize how bad this was until I turned off wifi... my time without signal is almost 30% in my house while my wife's inc2 has 0%.

Yuck.

You should call Verizon to report the issue, the more people call -- the more they will dedicate towards the issue.

RW-1

Jun 30, 2010
www.dynamicflight.com
That is what tech support told me when I was on the phone complaining about loosing 4 bars of 4g going from my razr to the GN. I had download speeds of 28mbs/sec now I have around 4mbs/sec if I have any 4g at all. I asked to have the phone reprovisioned on the towers but they didnt do it because the radio is now a "Know Issue" with VZW tech support. Again I was told a fix is in the works expect it mid Jan.

Yes, you keep believing that from a VZ rep, Mid- Jan magically is the date that any purchases over the holiday period lose their return window ...

Gee, I hope I'm wron... er, nope, I'm not.

iankellogg

Jun 9, 2010
I just want to give more data. In the same location the galaxy nexus will read roughly -30dBm more than an incredible 2 and -20dBm more than a samsung charge.

playbeasy

Sep 7, 2006
Atlanta, GA
8bits.org
My signal has been awful. I'm in a bad spot for cell service but my tbolt could usually hold 4g with 0-1 bar. Still have 0-1 bar but flips constantly between 3g, 4g and nothing. Today while eating lunch at a restaurant I was having trouble keeping data at all in a spot that usually has good 4g.

Wifi has been normal for me.

Fortunately calls still seem to be good. Great even. Sounds better than any phone I've had.

Hopefully the data issues will be sorted out soon.

BlackFreefall

Dec 18, 2011
I received my GNX yesterday and I thought I was the only one with the problem.

Although I was able to surf on the web, I wasn't able to make or receive call. I reset the phone a couple of times. That didnt work so I called technical support. TS did what he could on his end but that didnt solve the problem. This morning I went to a Verizon store and the guy over there swapped out the sim card. The phone was working fine till I got back to the apartment. Now I cant even get 3g service on my phone , let alone 4g. If I need to make a phone call, I would have to walk out of the apartment.

Also my GNX doesn't show up on my Verizon overview account. It indicates a message that the phone needs to be activated. It doesn't make any sense.

Zippernuts

Oct 19, 2010
To those with the data drops, have you tried the ole pull the sim card, boot up, power down, put in the sim, and boot up? That always worked with the bionic I had before the Nexus. Well, it at least kept it from happening as much. I believe there are some issues with the 4g network that they need to address. There shouldn't be so many phones with this same issue. And yes, it was an issue with the bionic.

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
it's been pretty bad for me to.

in places where i got full 4G on my Rezound, i'm getting 1 - 2 bars on my Nexus...

i was in the mall earlier and normally on the 1st floor in the mall i got 2 - 3 bars on my Rezound, now on the Nexus it can't even stay in 4G and goes to 3G w/ 2 bars.

additionally, on my Rezound i was able to download a 1GB file in about 5 minutes... i tried on my Nexus and it took almost 40 minutes. (same file, same location)

:mad: :(

carpenter311

Aug 17, 2010
I returned the razr also. The reception and battery blow this phone away. Sucks, but oh well I guess.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

greenjeans

Oct 7, 2009
Agreed.

I have a thunderbolt that I've had for a while, recently added the razr, then switched it for the galaxy nexus. The signal on this thing blows! The thunderbolt has a solid 4g connection, constantly. The nexus sitting right next to it has 2 less bars, and constantly drops to 3g. The razr was decent, not as good as the bolt, but much better than this nexus.

I really hope its a matter of radio firmware, and not junk hardware.

voxigenboy

Jul 2, 2010
San Diego
Agreed.

I have a thunderbolt that I've had for a while, recently added the razr, then switched it for the galaxy nexus. The signal on this thing blows! The thunderbolt has a solid 4g connection, constantly. The nexus sitting right next to it has 2 less bars, and constantly drops to 3g. The razr was decent, not as good as the bolt, but much better than this nexus.

I really hope its a matter of radio firmware, and not junk hardware.

HTC devices in general have excellent signal on Verizon. my Tbolt also blew this thing away(and my Rezound was even better).

davidukfl

Apr 19, 2010
Seattle
www.crypto-designs.com
came from a Droid X to the Gnex. I've noticed an obvious difference in signal strength. It's more similar to what my wife gets on her dinc. Which isn't all that fantastic either.

saying that, having 4g makes it worthwhile

Syn Ack

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta
To those with the data drops, have you tried the ole pull the sim card, boot up, power down, put in the sim, and boot up? That always worked with the bionic I had before the Nexus. Well, it at least kept it from happening as much. I believe there are some issues with the 4g network that they need to address. There shouldn't be so many phones with this same issue. And yes, it was an issue with the bionic.

No bueno :/ thanks though

sgravel

Jul 1, 2008
came from a Droid X to the Gnex. I've noticed an obvious difference in signal strength. It's more similar to what my wife gets on her dinc. Which isn't all that fantastic either.

saying that, having 4g makes it worthwhile

I just reactivated my DINC. Signal strength on the old device was not great, but at least it was (almost) always there, which is more than I can say for the GNEX I got.

If I keep this thing, I will probably get fired because I won't hear an important email or text come in (volume is low), or maybe I won't get it at all because the data dropped...

I really, really wanted to like this phone, but I feel like there is too much I need to ignore for that to happen. Too many issues. Not sure whether to keep it in hopes of an update, or cover myself and return it in case the software fix doesn't really address things.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That is what tech support told me when I was on the phone complaining about loosing 4 bars of 4g going from my razr to the GN. I had download speeds of 28mbs/sec now I have around 4mbs/sec if I have any 4g at all. I asked to have the phone reprovisioned on the towers but they didnt do it because the radio is now a "Know Issue" with VZW tech support. Again I was told a fix is in the works expect it mid Jan.

Yes, you keep believing that from a VZ rep, Mid- Jan magically is the date that any purchases over the holiday period lose their return window ...

Gee, I hope I'm wron... er, nope, I'm not.
    For whatever it's worth, here's what I heard back from a tech at Verizon who seems to be pretty knowledgable based on past experience:

As far as the Nexus, it's really been too short of a time for me to get an accurate gauge on what the situation is, but here's what I know so far.

---The signal indicator is incorrectly displaying signal strength. Google is saying that it displays signal differently than the normal stock of VZW phones, but either way, a software fix is being developed. Tentative release date Mar 2012.

---The 3G reception is faulty. There is a recognized issue where the device displays that 3G is available, but the device is unable to commit to data sessions. Temporary workaround is to reboot the phone (not necessary to pull the battery, just powering down and back up again should do the trick). I would not advise to put the plane into airplane mode and back on again because the Nexus also has been documented to take up to 60 seconds to regain signal after coming out of airplane mode. Software fix for the 3G problem has a tentative release date of January 2012 and the airplane mode problem is tentative March 2012.
    I have to imagine the VZW network was getting pounded pretty hard last night with new adopters and phones being activated. I'd say give it a few days and check back into it
    I have same signal i used to have on my rezound, i still get almost same speeds around 28 up and 18-20 down here in Minneapolis. rezound used to get 32 down and around 20 up, but i am thinking since verizon network was pounded yesterday so there will be some impact on speeds
    How did you pull up a measure of the signal strength in db on an iphone? I'm having the same gNex weak cellular signal problems and wanted to try an actual reception comparison to my wife's iphone like you did..

Go to the phone keypad and type *3001#12345#* then press call/send