HowTo: Milestone X2 - 2.3.6 Root - UPDATED 09/05/2012
This walks through the process of rooting a Motorola Milestone X2 running 2.3.6. First off I DID NOT come up with this solution nor did I initially post this in this thread. Many many MANY thanks to all those helped make this a reality (which seem to be Brandon15811, the2dcour, and eval-!) and to Sippi4x4man who posted this information here along with DarkFalconX who posted an addendum to help get it working, and to Tiso who made me aware someone had posted this in the thread. See the bottom for the original links that were posted.
This is the process I used it is slightly different than Dark's and the original link. The standard warning applies here, NEITHER MYSELF NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE DOING THIS!
- You MUST have the ADB drivers for your phone installed which are obtained as part of the Android SDK.
- You MUST have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
- You MUST have Superuser installed, which can be found on the Market.
Initial links Posted by Sippi4x4man
- Download the following file (atrix-4g-moto-fastboot-win32.zip): LINK
- Extract the zip file to a location that is easy to get to, the original instructions suggested making a Root folder in C:\, however it is really up to you. Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder.
- Get your phone into Fastboot mode, to do this:
- Shut the phone off.
- Hold down the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
- After the phone turns on you should see Fastboot at the top of the screen.
- Press the Volume Up Button to enter Fastboot mode. Your computer may need to install drivers if this is the first time you entered Fastboot mode, so let this happen BEFORE proceeding.
- Start a command prompt on your computer.
- Type the following commands:
- cd \<DIRECTORY> where <DIRECTORY> is the folder you created. If you created the Root folder in C:\ it would be cd \root.
- moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
- moto-fastboot reboot
- Wait for the phone to reboot, once it does so execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open):
- On your phone you should see a prompt to Allow or Deny Superuser access, allow this. Then execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
- cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
- chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
I have to again thank everyone who created this process and who made people aware of this. I take ZERO credit I am simply reposting information others have already posted. Have fun!
- The links for the files were broken, the files needed to root the Atrix 4G are the same as we need so I have updated the link to those used for that, along with tweaking the instructions a bit to match. Thanks to Carl Parker and this post
here for the working link. Do not worry that the files are labeled "for" the Atrix 4G, the files do in fact work for rooting the Milestone X2 I just used them successfully.
- I modified the instructions to flash preinstall.img versus root.img, thanks to aldude999 and sd_shadow for pointing out the error as well as sd_shadow for the new link.