[ROM] ota 8.6.5.21 US rom

Search This thread

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
It looks like we got our Christmas present a little early!

This is the rooted 8.6.5.21 rom. I just added su and Superuser. It does not overwrite recovery or the bootloader, so it should play nicely with razorclaw. Regardless, flash at your own risk. If in doubt, don't flash it.

This is the full rom, not the update. It is not deodexed, and it might even have carrier iq installed???!!! I only added root.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3982037990/hc_86521.zip
b9620eedb98fc18437cb73d7f4543030 hc_86521.zip

Edit: US version

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

RambJoe

Jul 29, 2010
Awesome, thanks. :D

How does the US version compare to the UK one?

Also do I have to somehow flash to a .19 stock then root to flash this? (I haven't got mine yet).

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
The US rom has 25% more Android! magic in it. There might be other differences as well.

The newer tablets will be locked, so you have to root through .19.

sent from my cyanogen(mod) vision

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
I have a question. Say I have a B60 that was rooted via apx. I can't update. If I were to flash this rom, will I lose all my apps, data, etc.?

Actually, anyone has a cwm flashable zip for this update?

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
I have a question. Say I have a B60 that was rooted via apx. I can't update. If I were to flash this rom, will I lose all my apps, data, etc.?

Actually, anyone has a cwm flashable zip for this update?

This is the cwm flashable zip. It only flashes the system and boot, so data and recovery are untouched.

As far as not being able to update, I'm not sure what that means without more details.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
This is the cwm flashable zip. It only flashes the system and boot, so data and recovery are untouched.

As far as not being able to update, I'm not sure what that means without more details.

The OP clearly says this is a rom, not just the update. Actually, here's his exact words.

This is the rooted 8.6.5.21 rom. I just added su and Superuser. It does not overwrite recovery or the bootloader, so it should play nicely with razorclaw. Regardless, flash at your own risk. If in doubt, don't flash it.

This is the full rom, not the update. It is not deodexed, and it might even have carrier iq installed???!!! I only added root.

It means how it sounds. I can't seem to OTA update while rooted. I rooted via apx. B60. The update process always ends up with an exclamation point next to an android, meaning it can't update.

Apologies for my ignorance.

Are you saying that when I flash this rom, all my apps and data will be left untouched?

Last edited:

ckoadiyn

Jan 23, 2010
The OP clearly says this is a rom, not just the update. Actually, here's his exact words.

It means how it sounds. I can't seem to OTA update while rooted. I rooted via apx. B60. The update process always ends up with an exclamation point next to an android, meaning it can't update.

Are you saying that when I flash this rom, all my apps and data will be left untouched?

Yes it they will be in touched

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line

Got it- you can't update via the OTA. This will flash through clockworkmod recovery (or any non-stock recovery) and you will have a stock .21 system as if you had upgraded via the OTA from a stock .19 rom. System apps will be updated, but data and recovery will be unchanged.

If you are getting an exclamation point, it sounds like you have the stock recovery. You would need to install clockworkmod or some other recovery first.

I hope that's clear. Lastly, this is the US version.

gls9

Nov 13, 2011

Just for interest: can you tell more how you did make this rom ?

griefman

Dec 27, 2008
Me too.. but i`ll try again :)...... nope stilll the same... i noticed that it updates pretty quick in cwm.... i guess it doesnt update at all... maybe you missed something when you added the christmas wishes :)

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
After successful flash I'm still showing .19 firmware version. Any ideas as to why?

Me too.. but i`ll try again :)...... nope stilll the same... i noticed that it updates pretty quick in cwm.... i guess it doesnt update at all... maybe you missed something when you added the christmas wishes :)

Try mounting your system partition, then flashing. It does take a few minutes and the progress bar will seem a bit slow or stuck.

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line

I started with the OTA and then unzipped it. There is a blob and a bunch of patches. I unpacked the blob and made the boot.img/blob.LNX insecure, and repacked this into boot.img. then I took the patches and applied them to the stock system. This is the tricky part because I used a script to parse the updater-script to generate two scripts. The first one would identify and copy all the files that are scheduled to be patched. I then transfered all the files and the second script to my transformer. On the device, I ran the second script with applies that patch using the same binary that the recovery uses. The output from this all goes back to my computer where the patched files are re-united with the files that did not require a patch. Now, in the home stretch, I added Superuser.apk and the su binary. I adjusted the updater script to set permissions correctly for those two additions and added a little holiday cheer. Finally, I zipped up the whole thing and signed it.

The reason for doing it this way is that I can "apply" the ota to a copy of the system, rather than the system I have installed on my TF. It sounds complex and convoluted, but it really takes about 30 mins to an hour.

goodintentions

Aug 14, 2010
Try mounting your system partition, then flashing. It does take a few minutes and the progress bar will seem a bit slow or stuck.

Please forgive my ignorance. I just want to be sure. Is the following right?

Boot into cwm. Mount system partition. Back out and flash rom.

Is that right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It looks like we got our Christmas present a little early!

https://rapidshare.com/files/3982037990/hc_86521.zip
    b9620eedb98fc18437cb73d7f4543030 hc_86521.zip

Edit: US version

Merry Christmas!

I started with the OTA and then unzipped it. There is a blob and a bunch of patches. I unpacked the blob and made the boot.img/blob.LNX insecure, and repacked this into boot.img. then I took the patches and applied them to the stock system. This is the tricky part because I used a script to parse the updater-script to generate two scripts. The first one would identify and copy all the files that are scheduled to be patched. I then transfered all the files and the second script to my transformer. On the device, I ran the second script with applies that patch using the same binary that the recovery uses. The output from this all goes back to my computer where the patched files are re-united with the files that did not require a patch. Now, in the home stretch, I added Superuser.apk and the su binary. I adjusted the updater script to set permissions correctly for those two additions and added a little holiday cheer. Finally, I zipped up the whole thing and signed it.

The reason for doing it this way is that I can "apply" the ota to a copy of the system, rather than the system I have installed on my TF. It sounds complex and convoluted, but it really takes about 30 mins to an hour.

After successful flash I'm still showing .19 firmware version. Any ideas as to why?

Thanks for the help, one more question, I still have the update notification, how do I get rid of it?

Sent from my "Bad Seed" Transformer!

Settings>Applications>Manage application>All>DMClient>Clear data
    Where is this stock system located ?

Copy to where ?

Which patch do you mean exactly ?

Maybe a stupid question: but why not adjust the updater script in the OTA update and sign it. (so not making a complete rom)

The stock system is a copy that I have on my computer. Asus releases a full rom after the ota. I think the current one is .13, but I have an image of .19 that was built from the previous otas.

The files are copied to my computer and then transfered to my transformer. I am patching a non-running system and I am only transferring the files that need patches. Not all of them are changed, so why bother transfer them, just to transfer them back?

The patches are in the ota. If you unzip it, you'll see the directory.

Adjusting the ota is one strategy. Some people have no issues with this, others get hung up on unzipping. This is the same ota, repackaged in a zip format that doesn't require any adjustments.

It's a somewhat convoluted system, but I don't need to revert to stock to flash. Typically, I patch the system, deodex the rom, and then change the soft buttons to the stock honeycomb ones. I do this all without having to flash the ota.