How to stop the wallpaper from changing with each unlock

Search This thread

DataPhreak

May 26, 2006
how exactly do you do this? What is chmod?

Sorry I am a little new to this
All these forums expect you to be command-line and shell literate. You're not a dummy and it's pretty hard to find good step-by-step instructions--everyone just leaves out parts that you know once you've driven around the block a couple of times . . .

There was an issue with my Win7 path settings so I had to
- Start>Run>cmd <enter>
- You'll see your user folder followed by a >
- cd \
- cd \Program Files (x86)\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
- From there I could run adb
- type "adb devices" (without the quotes from hereon) to see the device
- type "adb shell" to initiate the shell
- You'll see $ for the prompt
- Type in "su" to set SuperUser
- You'll see # for the prompt
- that's where you'll enter the "chmod 550 /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper"
- and adb reboot

Now you're a pro. :)

a1exus

Jun 4, 2008
NYC
alexus.org
I was looking at a way for my change of wallpaper to stick after the screen is turned off and back on and it seems I found a way. This requires root. It's pretty simple you just have to:

Code:
1. Change wallpaper within a launcher like ADW.
2. chmod 550 /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

If you want to change it again you have to chmod it back to something like 755 and then back to 550 once you've changed it back to write-protected again. You can freely change between live wallpapers for some reason once it's 550

Not anywhere near ideal but it works for the time being. Much easier than injecting images into an app.

thanks for showing this "shortcut"

before changing
drwx------ system system 2011-11-28 22:16 files
so 550 isn't correct, 500 is better since g didn't had anything before

mbp:~ alexus$ adb shell
$ su
# chmod 500 /data/data/com.android.settings/files
# exit
$ exit
mbp:~ alexus$

jcorv58

Dec 8, 2010
I was able to do this twice with adw ex but now it will not let me do it again, I have tried it again and again with no worky, but I found that it will let me set live wallpapers as someone else also mentioned as long as the 550 is set on it so it also stays, so I installed multipicture wallpaper to use still images and it works for me... A tip in case anyone else has trouble setting with adw ex.

monho

Dec 13, 2010
Graceville
Perfect! much easier than the other methods

This is the same as removing the permissions for this file. I had never used chmod until I attempted this fix. When I opened the chmod program I got from the market, I noticed it looked exactly like the permissions/properties dialog I had seen in ES File Explorer. So, I went over to ES File Explorer, located the file you mentioned, opened it's properties, and removed all the check marks. It's works like a charm. Thanks for the help.

agFinder

Mar 11, 2011
My widgetlocker *was* working perfectly for persisting the wallpaper but it stopped after the 6.2.1 OTA and subsequent re-root (which basically went fine). However I did find a video which directed me to the pertinent file (mentioned above) whose permissions I changed with RootExplorer (removed write access for owner and group). This worked great but I see people mentioning other wallpapers besides Live not being happy with the setup, and I'm one of the ones using only Live Wallpaper so I haven't seen that.

jeffng

Apr 27, 2010
BSB
www.jeffviewfinder.com
For those whom do not want to connect to PC or Mac, i find this method works. Just by using Root explorer. Step as follows:

1. Change to the wallpaper you want
2. Use root explorer, mount R/W and go to /data/data/com.android.settings/files
3. Set the file "wallpaper" permission. Original permission is - Owner: Read-Write-Execute, Group: Read-Write-Execute. Just remove the Write permission from both user.
4. Done

If you want to change the wallpaper, apply back the WRITE permission for Owner and Group, change wallpaper, then remove it again as above.

Reactions: zothes

Stage

Dec 21, 2010
St. Louis
I used the rotating wallpaper app. No root required. Go to youtube and do a search on it. It should be the first thing that comes up.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Hydrocharged

Aug 20, 2010
The way that I did it was to change the wallpaper permissions to allow everything. I then set my wallpaper using the normal means. Afterwards, without turning off the screen, I changed the wallpaper permissions to only read for the three groups. My wallpaper has stuck so far! I think this is the easiest method.

Nov 24, 2011
Chesterfield, MI
I have done this twice Im running the rooted 6.2.2 and when the lock screen should come up it just goes black and wont come back up it takes about a minute before it asks me if I want to shut down. This happen to anyone?

zothes

Apr 9, 2011
Orlando
For those whom do not want to connect to PC or Mac, i find this method works. Just by using Root explorer. Step as follows:

1. Change to the wallpaper you want
2. Use root explorer, mount R/W and go to /data/data/com.android.settings/files
3. Set the file "wallpaper" permission. Original permission is - Owner: Read-Write-Execute, Group: Read-Write-Execute. Just remove the Write permission from both user.
4. Done

If you want to change the wallpaper, apply back the WRITE permission for Owner and Group, change wallpaper, then remove it again as above.

f-yeah! this one worked like a charm for me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was looking at a way for my change of wallpaper to stick after the screen is turned off and back on and it seems I found a way. This requires root. It's pretty simple you just have to:

Code:

If you want to change it again you have to chmod it back to something like 755 and then back to 550 once you've changed it back to write-protected again. You can freely change between live wallpapers for some reason once it's 550

Not anywhere near ideal but it works for the time being. Much easier than injecting images into an app.
    Noob...

Confused in Step 2;

Any idea how to do that step???

Do you have the SDK installed? If not, this can be done via Root Explorer if necessary.

Change your wallpaper, as desired.

Open Root Explorer.

Navigate to data > data > com.android.settings > files

Should be mounted as R/W already, but if it is R/O, tap Mount R/W at the top.

Long Press wallpaper.

Change permissions to 550:

re_550.jpg

If you want to change it to something else down the road, you will need to adjust these settings to 755, like so:

re_755.jpg

And then back to 550.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks from a Noob. This worked great for me too. Am I correct to assume that once you finish this process, to change the wallpaper to something different you would reset it back to 775 and then repeat the process after setting the new wallpaper on the KF? I noticed that in it's present state I can't change the wallpaper to something else.

Thanks again for all your help.

Yep, 775 will do, though 755 is good enough. Here are the steps from the command line (if you are using ADB):

Code:
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"]C:\Users\[edited]>adb kill-server

C:\Users\[edited]>adb devices
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    47C0000600000001        device

C:\Users\[edited]>adb shell
    $ su -
    su -
    # cd /data/data/com.android.settings/files/
    cd /data/data/com.android.settings/files/
    # ls -l
    ls -l
    -r-xr-x--- system   system    1526946 2011-12-01 17:45 wallpaper
    # chmod 755 wallpaper
    chmod 755 wallpaper
    # ls -l
    ls -l
    -rwxr-xr-x system   system    1526946 2011-12-01 17:45 wallpaper
    # chmod 550 wallpaper
    chmod 550 wallpaper
    # ls -l
    ls -l
    -r-xr-x--- system   system    1526946 2011-12-01 17:45 wallpaper
    # _[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Code:

how exactly do you do this? What is chmod?

Sorry I am a little new to this
    I did this by the following:

On your PC go into the android sdk/platform-tools folder.
    Open a command prompt there - you should see something like c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>
    type adb shell - you should see a $ sign
    type su - you should see a # symbol
    then enter: chmod 550 /data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

the enter adb reboot
    thsnks i went into that folder like you said on my pc then held **** and right clicked and used open command promp here.Then i did as you said and typed it all worked but adb reboot didnt i just typed reboot and it reboots the kindle but my live wallpaper isnt sticking

EDIT: it worked had do do it twice and it sticked thanks guys..