Valhalla - BlackEdition

Search This thread

RaverX3X

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 13, 2011
Cali
Raver,

Excellent work as always. I hate to post this because I really hate "complaining," but I noticed, after flashing the latest version of this rom, that the battery icon will go from a green icon to an ICS blue icon whenever the percentage hits a multiple of 5 (20,25,30, etc). Personally, I like the updated battery icon due to the fact that the percentage is updated in real time (vs the multiples of 5). Is there any way to fix this or is this just a bug? Either way, this rom is much appreciated :D

Thanks,
David

It will be corrected when i get home as makeing almosi 90 new pngs on a laptop isnt something i want to fo lol

iamperson347

Aug 23, 2011
hahahah, completely understandable. I really should learn about developing for Android... anyways, thanks again!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA App

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
This is Gingerbread based, not Froyo. You do need CWM in order to flash this. Get the official KJ6 release from Samsung, and then flash either drhonk's or bhundven's kernel. I'd recommend bhundven's since its based on the official kernel from KJ6.

As far as the exact procedure the post you linked should lead you in the right direction.

my device came with 221, I updated (Kies) to stock/official 236, and that's where I sit.. so with that in mind, why do I need another kernel, or the official update? o_O (random guess-->) for the CWM included in the custom kernel or ?

I have no CWM on my phone, I'm on 236 (stock/official), and I'd like to flash Raver's modded Valhalla rom.. so which CWM do I use/install first please

neotoky

Aug 2, 2010
The battery icon is green while discharging. Is that intentional?

bswann

Mar 12, 2011
Mobile,AL
my device came with 221, I updated (Kies) to stock/official 236, and that's where I sit.. so with that in mind, why do I need another kernel, or the official update? o_O (random guess-->) for the CWM included in the custom kernel or ?

I have no CWM on my phone, I'm on 236 (stock/official), and I'd like to flash Raver's modded Valhalla rom.. so which CWM do I use/install first please
Go here GB Ext4 starter pack read the instructions, watch the video, and read the instructions again then follow the instructions. Once you have done that then just download the black edition save file to sdcard and follow the instructions in the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: KotsChopShop

tagdat

Jan 23, 2011
City of Rain
I love this ROM but I'm going crazy cuz I'm still having the missing MMS problem. I wipe/factory reset
I wipe cache
I wipe dalvik cache
I flash BE 1.5

I did this four times in the exact same order but my MMS is still missing. The mms.apk is in the system/apps/ folder but i cant see it anywhere using Zeam launcher, GO launcher, ADW EX, or the ones that came with the ROM. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

crackpot

Oct 25, 2009
SC
crackpot.ws

The reason for needing a kernel is because they come with CWM, something you'll need to flash this ROM.

Not sure if this ROM contains the bootloaders, hence why being on GB already helps.

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
^ k, thanks for the clarity

Go here GB Ext4 starter pack read the instructions, watch the video, and read the instructions again then follow the instructions. Once you have done that then just download the black edition save file to sdcard and follow the instructions in the OP.

aight man, I'm goin for it *biting nails n sweatn bullets* lol - but I need to put the phone into usb debbugger mode or no? (step 2) and the phone needs to remain in usb storage mode yes?

Last edited:

crackpot

Oct 25, 2009
SC
crackpot.ws

aight man, I'm goin for it *biting nails n sweatn bullets* lol - but I need to put the phone into usb debbugger mode or no? (step 2) and the phone needs to remain in usb storage mode yes?

You only need the phone to be plugged into USB if you're putting files on the SD card, or using SDK tools.

I feel I should mention, you don't seem all that up to date with how this stuff goes so I would advise you do A LOT of reading before you attempt this. It could brick your phone. Browse around these forums, there are tons of tutorials related to the SGS4G and what makes it tick (read: brick, lol).

bswann

Mar 12, 2011
Mobile,AL

No, debugging doesn't need to be selected.
Yes, you will need the USB plugged in to copy the Rom file (.zip ) that you want to flash.
Yes, you will need the USB plugged in to use Odin.
No, you do not need it plugged in after you have transferred all of your files as you will be flashing using the recovery.

Again, please read the guide over again and then take your time while using Odin and make sure the files are correct.

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
You only need the phone to be plugged into USB if you're putting files on the SD card, or using SDK tools.

I feel I should mention, you don't seem all that up to date with how this stuff goes so I would advise you do A LOT of reading before you attempt this. It could brick your phone. Browse around these forums, there are tons of tutorials related to the SGS4G and what makes it tick (read: brick, lol).

I've been reading my ass off for like a week.. and unfortunately, the authors of 99% of the tutorials you're saying I should be reading (which I already have), make it painfully apparent that they do not understand the meaning of comprehensive.. not to mention almost every single ambiguous 'guide' rarely parallels if not contradicts the others on the same subject.. (and yall wonder why there's so many noobs running around actn like they can't read -psh) so forgive me if I seem curt in saying.. you can save that 'you need to read' bull**** lol

No, debugging doesn't need to be selected.
No, you do not need it plugged in after you have transferred all of your files as you will be flashing using the recovery.

thanks Swann, appreciato

RaverX3X

Jun 13, 2011
Cali
The battery icon is green while discharging. Is that intentional?

Read up i know its intentional atm i need to make the rest of the pngs for the accurate mod as i have created most this from scrach sence i dont have my dev box :)

Hence why its takeing so long :)

Minus whats in the base

FBis251

Mar 21, 2011
www.fernandobarillas.com
I've been reading my ass off for like a week.. and unfortunately, the authors of 99% of the tutorials you're saying I should be reading (which I already have), make it painfully apparent that they do not understand the meaning of comprehensive.. not to mention almost every single ambiguous 'guide' rarely parallels if not contradicts the others on the same subject.. (and yall wonder why there's so many noobs running around actn like they can't read -psh) so forgive me if I seem curt in saying.. you can save that 'you need to read' bull**** lol

thanks Swann, appreciato

What part of my guide are you having trouble with?

EDIT

Looks like you had trouble with getting into download mode. The basic procedure is:
Turn off your phone. Take out the battery.
Plug the USB cable into the computer only (not the phone, yet)
Put the battery into the phone
Hold the Vol + and - key, keep holding them
Plug the usb cable into the phone
You should now be in download mode, you can let go of the vol keys.

punjabi_xtasy

Jul 16, 2011
Hey I actually switched phones to the new Galaxy S 2 few weeks back but I came back here and IM GLAD TO SEE RAVER STILL DEVELOPING NEW roms for you guys!!

his roms kick ass! always! and this one is no exception from the looks of it. I gave my SGS4G to my dad and it has the Octane rom before the 3.0 update and I think I am going to flash this rom for him.

turtlepa

Jun 28, 2011
How come it says ny phone is incompatible. Beta swypw not compatible on sgs4g?

turtlepa

Jun 28, 2011
Nice... Incredible work on black edition i put it on over valhalla final wiped cache data but not data reset. Worked flawlessly. Messaging is very cool. when i do quadrant standard test run its always kinda low the first run then if i retest its up near 2500. Y is that ? Another ? Can i put lightning zap on this or do i not need to. And what should readahead be set to

RaverX3X

Jun 13, 2011
Cali
Nice... Incredible work on black edition i put it on over valhalla final wiped cache data but not data reset. Worked flawlessly. Messaging is very cool. when i do quadrant standard test run its always kinda low the first run then if i retest its up near 2500. Y is that ? Another ? Can i put lightning zap on this or do i not need to. And what should readahead be set to

No dont put zap on it unless u wanna break things...same with ad shot the reason for low scores besides the test is a joke cache speeds n the processer needs ramp time as its not always running 100 percent

Play with read ahead 2mb is ideal use tweaks to set it

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
What part of my guide are you having trouble with?

EDIT

Looks like you had trouble with getting into download mode. The basic procedure is:
Turn off your phone. Take out the battery.
Plug the USB cable into the computer only (not the phone, yet)
Put the battery into the phone
Hold the Vol + and - key, keep holding them
Plug the usb cable into the phone
You should now be in download mode, you can let go of the vol keys.

nah.. I got everything done that Swann recommended, and everything went fine (your GB Ext4 Starter Pack post)
but now the trouble is, I didn't know how to use CWM to flash (you conveniently left that part out of the tutorial lol)
but I just found a guide so hopefully I'll be up n runnin in a minute or so.................

edit; holy **** that animation boot screen is phuckn SIKK - mad propz Raver, she's beautiful bro..
(how will she hold up (speed wise) when I load her up with apps n games n shyt? :p )

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

amagad that keyboard operation is like eewwww ..and with no swype it's double eewwww :/
(I kno I kno, grab the beta swype.. but the way the keyboard controls operate are friggn yuck)

uh.. so how do I get all my ish back on here using my titanium backup ..is that safe to do? - do I just reinstall the Titanium apk then do the restore dance or some?

Last edited:

hampsterblade

Aug 28, 2011
Athens
Pretty much. Open titanium backup. Hit the menu key and touch batch. Under batch hit restore all apps. A menu will popup with everything you backed up. Restoring everything risks breaking things, especially if you did a batch backup that saved system apps, so select only the apps you want to keep.

The new beta swype supposedly works better, but if you want the old swype it may have backed up in the batch. As for the keyboard, it may have backed up too, but I hate the android keyboard in general. I recommend the iphone keyboard emulator app (its a pay app), but I like the key spacing more and the autocorrect works great and even allows for custom words that can be easily added unlike the iphones. But there are lots of different keyboards on the market to try. I recommend downloading different ones til you find one you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: KotsChopShop

KotsChopShop

Dec 24, 2011
IE, SoCal
kotschopshop.com
thank you for taking the time to explain that to me Hamster.. it's appreciated for sure

I did do an all app and data save.. so if I backed up the stock keyboard and swype, I might run into trouble there? - besides my already installed specialty apps, contacts and games,
I can live with everything else, in fact, everything else about this rom is wicked.. right down to the cheesy cool star trek type font it uses xD j/k - but gimme my damn keyboard back yo lol

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

welp, got all my apps/contacts and settings back.. but restoring the original keyboard had no effect (Samsung keypad 2.3.6), and in essence, failed to install *starts sobbing*
so how can I get my vanilla 236 or even 221 keypad and swype back? ..or is it only swype I need, then just switch to the android vs samsung keypad -?- so many questions so little time lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    INSTALL DIRECTIONS
    1) Copy rom to root of SD card
    2) Follow Gui Installer (custom or Generic install)
    5) Flash rom, (reboot Device) let it sit for 10 mins While its in the rom :p
    6) Enjoy

ROM FEATURES
    * Toggles
    * Lockscreens
    * Modified audio and video
    * Ics look :p
    * Miui music
    * Tweaks (formally known as edt tweaks :p)

THANKS
    Team Acid
    Team Nerd
    Whitehawk - For base guidance and premisson to use his base.
    Bryan for his sexy kernels
    Fb for testing scripts and debloatings
    CHANGELOG
    -Final-
    Bugs gone.
    screenshots

xlyno.jpg
    THIS ROM HAS BEEN APPROVED BY WHITEHAWKX!

****ing amazing man. I love it! Thanks for another pimp-tastic option for everyone! I hope everyone has a happy holiday season! :D