[GUIDE] NTFS READ/WRITE for SDCARD and USB OTG ! UPDATED 21-JAN-2012 !!!

OP PROTOCHIP

30th December 2011, 12:36 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 477

2,304 posts
Other than the ability to use bigger size files, is there any advantage of using ntfs ?

THere are the new 64gb cards . was wondering if there would be any benefit in using them in ntfs
30th December 2011, 01:00 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 230

618 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgopoos

Other than the ability to use bigger size files, is there any advantage of using ntfs ?

THere are the new 64gb cards . was wondering if there would be any benefit in using them in ntfs

Dear drgopoos,

Main purpose is to be able to use larger files than 4 gb, other then i didnt realize any speed improvements regarding to my short time tests... Forum User " The_Steph " got a new 64 gb SDXC card and he is starting to test it with ntfs i guess... He will kindly report back soon...

Kind Regards,
Last edited by PROTOCHIP; 30th December 2011 at 01:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PROTOCHIP For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th December 2011, 01:29 PM   |  #13  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 278

758 posts
More
My 64 card has been ordered at Amazon and it is planned to be delivered to my house the 4th of January.

As the SGN does have a big enough internal memory to store all daily files such as applications, pictures and data, my only aim using this modules is to be able to store HD movies on it (always bigger than 4GB) as I mainly use my SGN as an HD PMP during my daily commuting. I don't really care about the rest since as I said eearlier, it cans be hosted in the internal memory.

I am currently doing some tests with an old 16GB SD Card before my big jump to the 64GB world

I have now tests to do with AbyssNote 2.5 kernel then

An aditional question, is you fuse.ko removed from /lib/modules each time you restart your SGN?
Last edited by The_Steph; 30th December 2011 at 01:31 PM.
30th December 2011, 01:54 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member

618 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Steph

An aditional question, is you fuse.ko removed from /lib/modules each time you restart your SGN?

Dear The_Steph,

No, It is always in /lib/modules... I have several times restarted my Gnote and never copied fuse.ko... Weird...

Kind Regards,
30th December 2011, 03:31 PM   |  #15  
Flag Paris

758 posts
More
PROTOCHIP,

I think this then because of angelom that kindly added fuse.ko and ntfs.ko in the /lib/modules

Moved to angelom's AbyssNote 2.6 kernel and did your step by step procedure. Everything is now working perfectly

Next point is now how to automate it to automatically mount the card at Android startup and unmount it when shutting it down.
30th December 2011, 04:07 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member

618 posts
Dear The_Steph,

Yeah these files must be related with the kernel itself... By the way, is abyss v2.6 released? I cant find it...

Kind Regards,
30th December 2011, 04:19 PM   |  #17  
Flag Paris

758 posts
More
PROTOCHIP,

Did not look for AbyssNote 2.6 yet as I was working on automation.

BTW, I succeded in automation of launching script with autostart https://market.android.com/details?i...roid.autostart.

Last point to do is finding the settings > mount SD card script line to finalise a complete NTFS formatted card mount script at start

Once done, I will create a CWM flashable file to ease the process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Steph For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th December 2011, 04:38 PM   |  #18  
Flag Hubli
Thanks Meter: 152

1,724 posts
More
I have voted this thread 5-star that it deserves. CHEERS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2011, 04:33 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 16

34 posts
Here's my experience so far using stock KL7 deodexed ROM with Abyss kernel 2.5:

0. Firstly, I have a 32GB MicroSD card and I have successfully copied a 10gig 1080p MKV video file to it and played it without any issues on my Note thanks to this thread. THANK YOU heaps.

1. Using 'Script Manager' app, I can auto-run the script at bootup. But I still need to manually go to settings - storage and mount SD for it to be actually mounted. Is there a command to do this also at boot up via the same script? or is there no other way to mount it?

2. I noticed that all the video files in the \sdcard\external_sd are not seen by the media scanner. So the videos do not show up in Videos app and my favorite video player which is Act 1 Video player. (it just goes by the media scanner indexing and has no option to specify folders manually) Is there a way around this? or is this a limitation that is unavoidable?

3. I have no issues with connecting it as mass storage to my PC using USB cable and can copy files without any issues or speed loss to my MicroSD card. Awesome. (I get 11MB/sec consistent write to my Lexar 32GB class 10 card)

Anyways, overall, I'm super duper happy. =)
But yeah, solutions for #1 and #2 would make it perfect.
Last edited by jakiman; 31st December 2011 at 04:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2011, 05:21 AM   |  #20  
OP Senior Member

618 posts
Dear jakiman,

Thanks for the feedback...

1- We are all looking for a solution to mount automatically... At least in new abyss kernel V2.6, fuse.ko will be automatically loaded during startup so there will be no need to use it in scripts i guess...

Use Autostart app or script manager to run script on boot...
Use elixir 2 widgets app to create a shortcut directly to settings-storage...

2- Stock apps has problems recognizing ntfs files... We have to use 3rd party alternatives...
For videos i use mxplayer and bsplayer.. Bsplayer is much more smooth that make me shocked...
For photos neither stock nor 3rd party apps i tried could read ntfs files... So viewing photos from ntfs is still problem... i select the file with es file explorer and then choose gallery to show photo file from ntfs.... I copied all photo files to internal memory for a temporary solution...

3- My card is 32 gb class4 and that may be the problem for copying small files... For big files like movies i get 7 mb/s transfer rate with usb mass storage mode on windows7...

Kind Regards,

Sent from my GT-N7000
Last edited by PROTOCHIP; 31st December 2011 at 06:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to PROTOCHIP For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread