Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 42,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Otterbox or Speck case?

Tip us?

uwbadgers16
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Otterbox or Speck case?

Which case is better? I'm looking for one that doesn't scratch the phone.

Nissan350
Old
(Last edited by Nissan350; 21st April 2011 at 09:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadgers16 View Post
Which case is better? I'm looking for one that doesn't scratch the phone.
Otterbox makes some good cases. My dad has an Evo with the otterbox case for it. It feels pretty damn sturdy.

I, however, have the Speck Pixelskin case for my HD7. Feels just as sturdy and IMO looks better (not to mention 2x cheaper). Doesn't scratch the phone either. I've never had any hands on experience with the Otterbox case for the HD7 but all of their commuter cases have the same or close to the same build quality.

Here are some videos on the two (if you haven't looked them up already). You decide.

Speck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Viefam9ho

Otterbox (Couldn't find an english review but you can still judge by seeing it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYt9AvvgfLk
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan350 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uwbadgers16
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I've also heard that the Speck Pixelskin HD lifts the edges of screen protectors. And I'll definitely be getting a Zagg screen protector, and I'd date for it to come off because of the case. Is that the case with your Pixelskin?

Nissan350
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwbadgers16 View Post
I've also heard that the Speck Pixelskin HD lifts the edges of screen protectors. And I'll definitely be getting a Zagg screen protector, and I'd date for it to come off because of the case. Is that the case with your Pixelskin?
Hmm I never heard that. I wish I could tell you but I never install screen protectors on any of my phones so I really don't know. In my mind it wouldn't really make sense because the case wraps around and overlaps the screen by a tiny tiny bit. Ill see if can attach an image of what I mean. Also, those Zaggs stick on pretty strong. Don't know if the case would effect it...

Sorry for the bad pics, but you can see how the edges overlap a little.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan350 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stratax
Old
Thanks Meter 112
Your speck pixel case looks much nicer than mine ^

Mine makes my camera button press down WAY too easy. i have a new unit of the HD7 after everyone complained about the bottons being hard to press and it stick out more so they press down too easily with the case on lol. If you want to spend the extra money definitly go for the otterbox since it has its own screen protector and covers all ports so your phone will be much more protected.

nalgrim
Old
Thanks Meter 3
The commuter comes with a screen protector you apply it is nothing like the defendor with a plastic Sheila molded to case. I found the screen protector you get with otterbox was pretty much the same as I bought on eBay 5xprotector for a buck.

Sent from my 32gb HD7 T9292 NextGen+ using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 .GT-P5113

3pcssuits
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Not a fan of the otterbox cases, too bulky and just look ugly, i use the speck candyshell, looks sexy fits nicely, got it from amazon for 25 shipped.

jach707
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Otterbox Commuter FTW!! Love mine. I had a defender on my 3GS it was pretty bulky. My girlfriend has the defender on her iPhone4 left it on the car, flew off her car going 60 on the freeway phone survived. No shattered front or back. I think Otterbox cases protect more than the others.
HTC - HD7
Nextgen 3.1 ● Interop Unlock | Isharing | Multilang

Please help my small business by clicking my link -- Jumpers for Rent Vallejo CA

norgan
Old
Thanks Meter 33
if you want bomb proof than otterbox hands down, they look great in a bulky military style device way. If you want sleek and looks then speck.

My Gf has an otterbox and has dropped it many times lol it really is indestructible.
Hardware:
Nokia Lumia 920 Black
Windows Phone 8 8.0.10211.204
Moto Razr M XT905
Carbon JB Nightly
Carrier:
Internode (Optus AU)

My Blog - Technologman.com

Think and Search before you post!

bwb8771
Old
(Last edited by bwb8771; 2nd April 2012 at 06:11 PM.) Reason: (neglected to finish the thought on the "lips" observation)
Thanks Meter 1
Default Loving my Speck case!

One of the other posters commented on how the case makes the (camera) buttons more easy to press.

That is one of the reasons why I like the Speck case - it makes manipulating the power/sleep button much, much easier. And, unfortunately, since there exists no reminder apps for missed calls/SMS/etc., one must manipulate the phone quite a bit if you don't keep it nearby (AND you're an I.T. guy often on call!).

To combat the problem of the volume controls being pushed too easily, I just shaved, with a razor, the hard rubber of the button to a protrusion of my liking.

The face of the case seems to have been intentionally designed to keep the glass off surfaces when the phone is placed face-down. If the phone were worn in tight pants/pockets, I could see where the case might be pushed back by the "lips" of the case, thus exposing an edge or two of the screen protector, OR snagging an edge as the side of the case returns to its designed fit. I've worn the phone in my pockets quite a lot in the past 14 months and have not had an issue with the screen protector.

Still, LOVE the case. I've only seriously dropped the phone once (in a parking lot), but the case protected it nicely.

Tags
case, otterbox, speck