Difference between HSDPA:11 and HSDPA:9?

Search This thread

aimetti

Nov 23, 2011
I have been having constant reception issues on my galaxy nexus in areas that I normally get full service.

Ive tried just about everything to no avail. What I have noticed though is that any time i have a good signal and phone is actually working I am usually on HSDPA:9. Other times when my signal is fluctuating or gone all together its on HSDPA:11 and cycles to UMTS:3.

Does this make sense or am I just imaging it.

spectrumfox

Oct 5, 2009
From what I'm told, this is normal behavior. The phone will hotswap into HSPA+ mode during data transfers, but then scale back to 3G when there's no data being moved around. I'm told the phone does this to save battery.

hillrider

Jan 15, 2007
I Googled to here to look for the answer to the OP's question (Difference between HSDPA:11 and HSDPA:9?), but it seems elusive. Nothing else seems to answer it either.

I speculated that the number after the colon refers to the Category as per en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Speed_Downlink_Packet_Access, but it doesn't seem to fit. I also looked at whether the number after the colon has to do with speed (in Mbit/s), but there's no HSDPA for ~8 (the nearest are 7.2 and 10.1) nor ~11 (nearest are 10.1 and 14.0) and UMTS:3 makes little sense as well.

Anyone?

lambda30

Mar 9, 2011

Actually no, you're totally wrong. As hillrider is.
The number represents a different type of general data connection, not every type of HSPA connection. And 9 is not for HSPA, etc; (before 9, it even writes HSDPA clear as crystal). As for 11 it writes HSPA.

So, from what I have noticed so far:
GPRS - 1
UMTS - 3
HSDPA - 9
HSPA - 11
LTE - 13 (? I'm not sure here)

So it's pretty obvious these aren't part of a HSPA table, because of the different technologies listed. They are a part of a general data connection table. Also, it's pretty obvious that they are numbered in ascending order, based on the connection speed. There are probably even more, I don't know exactly.

Reactions: osm0sis

sishgupta

Dec 14, 2011
Toronto
If you read something else here I misread.

I have seen UMTS:3, HSDPA:9, HSPA:11.

I would be pissed if the numbers actually meant HSPA categories because I think it would mean my provider is lying when they say they provide HSPA+. For that I'd need to see HSPA:13 and I never have.

Last edited:

winwiz

Oct 26, 2007
If you read something else here I misread.

I have seen UMTS:3, HSDPA:9, HSPA:11.

I would be pissed if the numbers actually meant HSPA categories because I think it would mean my provider is lying when they say they provide HSPA+. For that I'd need to see HSPA:13 and I never have.

HSDPA is in the DOWNLINK
HSPA means HSDPA + HSUPA with HSUPA meaning data in the UPLINK

mark manning

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee
Staff member
Apr 7, 2010
Nusquam et ubique
I have been having constant reception issues on my galaxy nexus in areas that I normally get full service.

Ive tried just about everything to no avail. What I have noticed though is that any time i have a good signal and phone is actually working I am usually on HSDPA:9. Other times when my signal is fluctuating or gone all together its on HSDPA:11 and cycles to UMTS:3.

Does this make sense or am I just imaging it.

its the speed of the signal.

I used to have to all the different categories and their speed associated with them but I can no longer find it.:(:(

Basically when your on 11 your download and upload speed is faster than 9

Kas206

May 30, 2009
London
Mine never shows HSDPA:11 :(

Looks like I'm stuck at the lower speeds.

Those of you who connect at HSDPA:11 can you confirm if the H icon on the top turns Blue when you connect at that speed?

lambda30

Mar 9, 2011
Mine never shows HSDPA:11 :(

Looks like I'm stuck at the lower speeds.

Those of you who connect at HSDPA:11 can you confirm if the H icon on the top turns Blue when you connect at that speed?

Because HSDPA:11 doesn't exist :faceslap: :faceslap: :faceslap:
Like I said before and like sishgupta wrote above, it is HSPA:11, not HSDPA:11 !
Why is it so damn hard to understand ? Sheesh...
Also, like sishgupta wrote above, H is for HSDPA AAAAND HSPA.

Do you guys even read what it is already written above your freaking post ? :|

Kas206

May 30, 2009
London
Like I said before and like sishgupta wrote above, it is HSPA:11, not HSDPA:11 !

OK OK OK. I meant HSPA:11

Wonder why I can't connect to it.

I wish it would show H+ like the SGS2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

AnalogXDA

Jan 17, 2011

You seem upset. There's no reason to be, you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: lambda30

Top Liked Posts