Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,301 Members 50,195 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TOOL] Framework Flasher 1.1.4 (1/14/12) - Easily modify and flash framework-res.apk

Tip us?

wesf90
Old
(Last edited by wesf90; 21st April 2013 at 10:02 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 302

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [TOOL] Framework Flasher 1.1.4 (1/14/12) - Easily modify and flash framework-res.apk

Finally! After days of struggling to figure out how to modify my ROM's framework-res.apk and create a working flashable update.zip to install the framework-res.apk changes, I have finally figured out how (big thanks to the guys here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post20962080) and have created an automated script to help others struggling with the same problem.

Framework Flasher 1.1.4
Feel free to download and experiment with it. This is my first gift to the XDA/Android Hacking community, and I plan on doing more. I just want to test the waters for now Feedback would be nice. Let me know if I've helped you in some way!

---------------------------

What does it do?
It extracts your framework-res.apk file and allows you to edit the files. After editing, the script will compile, sign the apk, create your update.zip with the correct structure for flashing, and then sign the .zip. Everything you need to modify and flash your framework-res.apk file.

How do I use it?
Download the .zip from the link below and extract it somewhere on your PC. Drag the framework-res.apk file that you want to modify and/or flash into the /place-framework-res-here/ directory. Double-click on RunMe.bat and off you go! Do the steps (1-5) in order and you shouldn't have any problems.

Who needs this?
A LOT of people according to how many google searches I did in the past 3-4 days.

Will it work for files other than framework-res.apk?
Currently, no. However it would be easy to implement that functionality if I saw that people would benefit from it.

I found a bug... what do I do?
Post it in this topic. I'll do what I can to make continual updates as long as I see people are benefiting from it. I'm sure there are bugs in it somewhere, so just let me know.

Where do I download this snazzy piece of software?
http://www.mediafire.com/?1nc14hkhs2yrqmt

The little disclaimer
If you download this tool, please say thanks! Not only does it motivate me to continue to improve this software, but it also let's me know how many users are using it! Thanks!
This script is mainly intended for use with editing script files (xml, etc.), and normal (non 9png) images. 9pngs have been successfully repacked using this tool! If you run into any problems, be sure to make it known!
This tools was created to work with the Droid X2. If you are experiencing problems using it, first ensure that you are in fact using a Droid X2.
Framework Flasher - Easily edit and flash your ROM's framework-res.apk! (Droid X2)

Follow me on Twitter @therealwesf
The Following 277 Users Say Thank You to wesf90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wesf90
Old
(Last edited by wesf90; 19th February 2012 at 07:01 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 302

DONATE TO ME
Change Log
1.1.4 (1/14/12)
- Corrected the Log error. You can now see error logs!
- Corrected an error processing problem where Framework Flasher would instantly close without warning

1.1 (1/7/12)
- Made compatibility tweaks
- Removed unnecessary overhead

1.0 (1/6/12)
- Initial Release

When reporting errors, please ensure that there are no spaces in your file path, and include what ROM and version you are running.
Framework Flasher - Easily edit and flash your ROM's framework-res.apk! (Droid X2)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wesf90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PoorCollegeGuy
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 364

DONATE TO ME
Hello

This is an awesome little tool you got here. I haven't tried it yet but I'll likely give it a shot eventually.

You should add functionality for SystemUI.apk, that's the other "real big" file people like to edit. Just a suggestion based on what I know about theming

Very nice!

Kevin3328
Old
(Last edited by Kevin3328; 7th January 2012 at 03:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
So r u telling me this will modify everything including the. 9 png images..also can u get into the xml files as well or images only...i use apk manager and with the. 9 pngs u cannot touch the 9 patches or change the image without using draw 9 patch to ensure the apk will recompile

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

wesf90
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 302

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorCollegeGuy View Post
Hello

This is an awesome little tool you got here. I haven't tried it yet but I'll likely give it a shot eventually.

You should add functionality for SystemUI.apk, that's the other "real big" file people like to edit. Just a suggestion based on what I know about theming

Very nice!
Thanks. I will definitely look into adding this. I'll update the OP with any changes or updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin3328 View Post
So r u telling me this will modify everything including the. 9 png images..also can u get into the xml files as well or images only...i use apk manager and with the. 9 pngs u cannot touch the 9 patches or change the image without using draw 9 patch to ensure the apk will recompile

Not tested 9pngs with this, it's mainly intended for scripting (xml files, etc. along with normal non 9png images). I've updated the OP to include a little disclaimer stating this fact. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wesf90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hedwig34
Old
Thanks Meter 651

DONATE TO ME
Default .9.png seems to work

Thanks Wesf90 for the tool. I was curious about the .9.png myself. Looking at the script it decompiles and compiles using apktool just like the apkmanager script does so just by looking at your RunMe.bat it looks like it would be fine. I did test it out to be sure though. So I took the framework-res from eclipse 2.0.3 changes some 9.png files and recompiled without any issues. It is important to note that you need to be careful when editing 9.png files to NOT change the black "patches" around the edge of those images. Doing so will cause bad patches and will generate errors when re-compiling. So for example if you apply a filter to the entire image double check that the color value of the black patches are still 000000 (I've done this ). If you don't mess with the patches all should be fine. It also depends on the original framework-res you are starting with. If you use one that has broken 9.pngs in it to start then you will need to fix them before re-compiling (I've done this too ).

Nice work. I especially like that step 4 that creates the update.zip. That is not in apkmanager that I've been using. So following steps 1,2,3,4 sure does make it simpler for a beginner which was your goal. Keep up the good work!
Here's what I got right now:
Galaxy S3 - Gummy M3 KitKat (4.4.4) Broken
Galaxy Nexus - Gummy M3 KitKat (4.4.4)
Nexus 7 - Gummy M3 KitKat (4.4.4)
The Following User Says Thank You to hedwig34 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wesf90
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 302

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig34 View Post
Thanks Wesf90 for the tool. I was curious about the .9.png myself. Looking at the script it decompiles and compiles using apktool just like the apkmanager script does so just by looking at your RunMe.bat it looks like it would be fine. I did test it out to be sure though. So I took the framework-res from eclipse 2.0.3 changes some 9.png files and recompiled without any issues. It is important to note that you need to be careful when editing 9.png files to NOT change the black "patches" around the edge of those images. Doing so will cause bad patches and will generate errors when re-compiling. So for example if you apply a filter to the entire image double check that the color value of the black patches are still 000000 (I've done this ). If you don't mess with the patches all should be fine. It also depends on the original framework-res you are starting with. If you use one that has broken 9.pngs in it to start then you will need to fix them before re-compiling (I've done this too ).

Nice work. I especially like that step 4 that creates the update.zip. That is not in apkmanager that I've been using. So following steps 1,2,3,4 sure does make it simpler for a beginner which was your goal. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the test run. I've updated to OP to state that 9pngs have been tested.

Creating the update.zip was the hardest part for me, learning how to use update-script and updater-script. Hopefully this will help everyone else get on the right path.

XT69
Old
Thanks Meter 15

DONATE TO ME
is it possible, that after the editing was done, to simply push the framework to its place? without flashing recovery?

Kevin3328
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Dude XDA did a writeup on this.. but the article states there is no. 9 compatibility .... which is not true your program decompiles just like apk manager and apk tool do... .9 can be edited the patches simply can't be touched.. making this an awesome little tool !!!

zaxondis
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Thumbs up Sweet tool, just what I've been looking for

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for this tool (button hit, donation forthcoming).

I tried this with my framework-res file from and ICS 4.0.1 ROM I'm running and it decompiles perfectly, but after I make edits and try and recompile, the script just closes.

I tried looking at the log in the folder of the tool and it didn't have any information except the date/time I ran the script.

Any thoughts? Would love to make use of this if you think it should work for me. Thanks again!
DEVICES/ROMS:
-------------------------------
Asus Transformer - Revolver NoName JB CM10.1 Unofficial (TF101)
-----
Nexus 4 - CM 10.1 RC5
-----
Retired Devices:

HTC One S (Running HoloBlackBean2)

HTC Magic (T-Mobile myTouch 3G 1.2) running CM6.1.

HTC Doubleshot (T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide) Latest CM9 Alpha by TeamDS. (Amazing, simple amazing.)

Samsung Galaxy Tab CM9 Stable

Tags
error status 6, error status 7, flash framework, flash update, update.zip