Microphone cutting out mid call

Search This thread

charlescom

Dec 31, 2011
I have this issue as well.

My calls, have been getting dropped after choppy robotic voice on at least half of the calls lasting longer than 15 mins.

Smartphones are awesome that they are getting smarter each minute.
But, it still is a phone...

I don't know what to say, I hope this issue gets fixed.

But i'll come by verizon store to say a few words this afternoon just for the
sake of all of us...

Stock 4.02, No Volume+ or any apps for that matter.
It is same as a brand new phone state lol

Last edited:

Terrigno

Jul 15, 2010
Raleigh-Durham
Do you guys have Volume+ installed? Thats weird because I have it. And another user said they had it and reset all the settings back to normal, uninstalled the phone and hasnt had the problem since for like 3 weeks now. Im curious because I have it installed. Not sure if thats the issue though but I couldnt imagine that every one that has the problem has that program installed.

charlescom

Dec 31, 2011
Nope

I've never installed Volume+, I am staying as Stock 4.02 have not rooted or anything.
And still have this issue almost every other call lasting over 15mins.
I started using bluetooth on it now, I'll keep you guys updated if I still have the issue with bluetooth..

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
Ok, to summarize the issue:
  • Happens on all versions of ICS 4.0.1-4.0.3, Custom or stock
  • Characterized by some static, popping, and voice cutting out on our end, similar to "Mute"
  • Doesn't happen on every call
  • Length of call before cut out varies between 2 min and 30 min. Individual phones may be more inclined to cut out at certain times.
  • Happens on regular mic, Speaker, wired headphones, bluetooth.
  • Happens with or without Volume+

kecker

Jan 4, 2012
Both Sammy and Google are saying replace phones

Friend of mine is having same problems. He was able to navigate the monstrosity that Samsung calls "Customer Support". They're advising it's a hardware problem and he should either mail his phone in for a new one, or else exchange it at Verizon.

I got Google to respond to the issue on their forums. They're advising at this point that Verizon is the starting point for dealing with this issue. Basically swapping out your phone.

So both Sammy and Google seem convinced it's a hardware issue which is solved by getting a new GNexus.

Which....okay, I'd feel a lot better about that if I wasn't seeing multiple people here saying they've already swapped out phones and had the same problems.

So I'm wondering if certain batches of phones are "bad", which is why people that are having problems aren't having success with getting a new one until your area starts handing out phones from a "new" batch.

Does that make sense or am I just being naively optimistic? Unfortunately I suspect it's the latter.

Tubes6al4v

Oct 13, 2009
Friend of mine is having same problems. He was able to navigate the monstrosity that Samsung calls "Customer Support". They're advising it's a hardware problem and he should either mail his phone in for a new one, or else exchange it at Verizon.

I got Google to respond to the issue on their forums. They're advising at this point that Verizon is the starting point for dealing with this issue. Basically swapping out your phone.

So both Sammy and Google seem convinced it's a hardware issue which is solved by getting a new GNexus.

Which....okay, I'd feel a lot better about that if I wasn't seeing multiple people here saying they've already swapped out phones and had the same problems.

So I'm wondering if certain batches of phones are "bad", which is why people that are having problems aren't having success with getting a new one until your area starts handing out phones from a "new" batch.

Does that make sense or am I just being naively optimistic? Unfortunately I suspect it's the latter.
This is the automatic response. It is much easier and satisfying of an answer to tell the customer they will get a new one if they just go into a store. You ought to always start with verizon, as you'll get a new phone to test if it is a single phone issue.

Per this thread, it seems like there may be some driver issues.

justinellison

Nov 25, 2007
Don't waste time and effort replacing your phone

I have a friend that bought his GNex from the same store a day after I bought mine (launch day), and we both have the mic issue. He called VZW early this week, and swapped his phone. It lasted a day before it started exhibiting the same issues.

propyls

Apr 13, 2011
It has happend to me four times so far. Appears to happen at the 6 minute and 30 second mark. I can hear them fine. They complain of me "breaking up" followed by not hearing me at all.

Galaxy Nexus - Verizon
Android v. 4.0.2
4G turned off (no 4G service where I live)
Havent unlocked, rooted or Rom'ed

exact same for me as well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

zamboni52

Dec 29, 2011
I haven't had the issue in a while and I have been on several calls to different people lasting over 30 mins. I do have Volume+ installed. As long as its not a hardware issue I'm sure it will eventually get fixed with an update. Otherwise everything else on this phone is awesome. Verizon exchanged it once, but it had the issue also. My original had a better screen so I returned the replacement.

charlescom

Dec 31, 2011
I went to the verizon, got a new sim, altough sims are supposed to help 4G signal strength issue, i have to get through this part first before i could get a replacement unit.

after the new sim, it is...still cutting me off after 5-6 mins of talking to someone on almost every other call.

Yes, I guess I can now finally get a replacement unit because I passed the SIM was not the problem test..

Hope the new one is better..

Charm8er

Jan 11, 2011
This has been happening to me across 3 separate VZ Gnexs now. A total of probably 30 times or more now. It happens no matter the conditions, wifi, 4G, 3G, incoming, outgoing, it does not seem to matter, I am in the Denver metro area in areas that usually have pretty good signal too.

I finally got a response on my support ticket regarding this issue at VZW. They said that it is a software issue with the Galaxy Nexus and that it should be fixed with an OTA at some point in the future... No eta available.

I have also been having an issue with the 4G and 3G Data connection dropping randomly and requiring power cycle or Airplane Mode cycle to get it back.

After all of the issues I have been having they offered to let me switch back to a certified pre owned Rezound or Razr or cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

mears

Jan 10, 2012
This has been happening to me across 3 separate VZ Gnexs now. A total of probably 30 times or more now. It happens no matter the conditions, wifi, 4G, 3G, incoming, outgoing, it does not seem to matter, I am in the Denver metro area in areas that usually have pretty good signal too.

I finally got a response on my support ticket regarding this issue at VZW. They said that it is a software issue with the Galaxy Nexus and that it should be fixed with an OTA at some point in the future... No eta available.

I have also been having an issue with the 4G and 3G Data connection dropping randomly and requiring power cycle or Airplane Mode cycle to get it back.

After all of the issues I have been having they offered to let me switch back to a certified pre owned Rezound or Razr or cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....

DUDE!!!! It's so good to hear this. I'm on my 2nd GNex from VZW and am outside of Denver as well (Littleton). I have the same exact issues with my current and previous Nexus. For me, I'm more concerned about the mobile connection randomly dropping (for me it's data & voice) since I miss phone calls. I did find that if I disable 4G, I don't suffer from the connectivity dropouts. I haven't had many calls with forced 3G, so I can't comment on whether or not the mic cutting out is a problem persists when 3G mode is forced.

I'm expecting a callback tomorrow where I'm going to attempt to negotiate an outright return. What does this mean: "cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....?" Are they not refunding the phone's price if you return, or are you just saying they're not going to refund you your normal bill?

gabe23

Jan 3, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Has anyone in here tried a different bootloader? Some people are sayingi it has helped with connection issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1436868

The microphone problem is not a connection issue. When it happens I usually have full signal and I can hear the other person crystal clear. It's not a problem with losing the call or interference affecting the call, but rather the phone no longer transmitting outbound audio. When I hang up and call back, I can talk again for 15 minutes or so without issues. I'm not against trying a different bootloader, but I'd like to see feedback from someone with this specific problem rather than those with unstable connections which is quite different.

Last edited:

Tomson74

Oct 7, 2010
I have been having same issue. I am rooted using custom rom 4.0.3 happens 2-5 mins or so in call. People can't hear me. Annoying. So now even a replacement is not guaranteed. Probably it comes down to when the phone was manufactured

spencer88

Apr 19, 2010
Columbia, SC
I've had my Verizon Galaxy Nexus since it launched (December 15th) and I've had this happen twice. The other person couldn't hear me but I could hear them just fine. Hope there's a fix in the works.

Tomson74

Oct 7, 2010
Spencer, that's when I received mine as well. Day of launch

propyls

Apr 13, 2011
The microphone problem is not a connection issue. When it happens I usually have full signal and I can hear the other person crystal clear. It's not a problem with losing the call or interference affecting the call, but rather the phone no longer transmitting outbound audio. When I hang up and call back, I can talk again for 15 minutes or so without issues. I'm not against trying a different bootloader, but I'd like to see feedback from someone with this specific problem rather than those with unstable connections which is quite different.

My problem is exactly as you describe it. Signal is rock solid and audio just vanishes. Hang up and redial fixes it. This happens about once a day for me. Before and after root. 4.0.2 purchased launch day.

Charm8er

Jan 11, 2011
DUDE!!!! It's so good to hear this. I'm on my 2nd GNex from VZW and am outside of Denver as well (Littleton). I have the same exact issues with my current and previous Nexus. For me, I'm more concerned about the mobile connection randomly dropping (for me it's data & voice) since I miss phone calls. I did find that if I disable 4G, I don't suffer from the connectivity dropouts. I haven't had many calls with forced 3G, so I can't comment on whether or not the mic cutting out is a problem persists when 3G mode is forced.

I'm expecting a callback tomorrow where I'm going to attempt to negotiate an outright return. What does this mean: "cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....?" Are they not refunding the phone's price if you return, or are you just saying they're not going to refund you your normal bill?

I asked for a credit for all of the grief I have had to put up with so far... As far as I know they were going to let me return the phone and cancel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vote for this issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

Hopefully this will get the attention of Google.
    Edit: please see this Google issue tracker post and star it to get Google's attention!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

I've had it happen 3 times now that I'll be on a call for a number of minutes and all of a sudden the person I'm talking to won't hear me any more. To be fair, I've been talking to the same person, and each time it's been an extended call (5+ minutes). It happened on Saturday, twice. Since then, I have wiped data/cache and flashed a custom rom. It happened again this evening, right around 10 minutes into the call.

The microphone doesn't come back. I tried turning on speaker phone and muting/unmuting my mic, but it won't bring the microphone back. Like I said, this is the same person I've spoken to each time, however, I've been speaking with them often (with their current phone) on my previous phone and never had this issue, so I'm not sure if it's their phone's problem. I spoke with someone else for 30+ minutes on Sunday and didn't have this happen.

To remedy the situation, I just hang up and call back and it works fine, until it happens again.

I'm confused. Is my phone problematic or is it a software bug or is it the other person's phone? Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I'm on VZW LTE/CDMA.
    This was a common problem on the Samsung Droid Charge, which uses the same questionable Via baseband modem for voice calls. The earlier Charge Froyo firmware had all kinds of voice issues: 1) outgoing voice drop. 2) systematic cut in/out. 3) garbled robot voice quality. 4) loud ear hurting static. Since the latest Charge firmware EP4 (gingerbread), all issues except occasional robot voice are fixed. The phone is now usable where it was laughable before. The loud static may have been linked to certain phones / hardware rather than firmware.

Hopefully Samsung can incorporate the Charge fixes into the Nexus.

Hopefully Samsung stops using 3rd rate Via chips.

There, tacked on this info to the end of the bugtracker post.