Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,576 Members 38,261 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][CDMA] How to Change your Carrier name in Notifications and unlock screen!!

Tip us?

XperianceIT
Old
(Last edited by XperianceIT; 19th January 2012 at 09:03 PM.) Reason: Was originally a question but solved and turned into a guide.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE][CDMA] How to Change your Carrier name in Notifications and unlock screen!!

MODERATOR- Please move to correct sub-forum, it originally started as question but was solved and i turned it into a guide. Thanks.

Well... i had been trying to figure out how to change the carrier name in the notification bar for a few days and with some luck and some good tips from XDA Members and from antEris for pointing me in the right direction... here is a guide to help others who may want to change theirs as well!

**CAUTION- You will need to re-enter your google account info. This will wipe your contacts, and sync settings, so make sure you re-sync once complete!!**

Requirements:
Must have ROOT
FOR CDMA Devices ONLY! Will NOT work on GSM
Untested on all others. (if you test it on r800a, or any other one, let me know so i can update this.)

Things you will need:
1. Ninjamorph (Market)
2. HxD (google it, its free)
3. USB Cable

Method 1:
Steps:
1. Using Ninjamorph, select "New Project"
2. Navigate to system/framework
3. Select the framework-res.apk
4. Exit to home
5. Connect phone to PC
6. Browse to AndroidThemes/workspace/framework-resapk/res/xml on your sdcard.
7. COPY eri.xml to the desktop.
8. Now open the HxD application on your PC.
9. Drag the eri.xml into the big gray area.
10. You will now see a bunch of code, scroll till you see "Verizon Wireless"
11. Highlight Verizon Wireless, starting from the last letter going back to the "V" in Verizon.
12. Now you can type in what you want, UP TO 16 characters. If your custom banner is less than 16 characters, use the SPACEBAR and hit it for a total of 16 characters including how many your custom banner is. (i.e... XperianceIT is 11 characters, so i hit space bar 5 times)
13. Once thats done go ahead and exit HxD, it will ask if you want to save, say yes.
14. Now place the new eri.xml back on to the root of your sd card.
15. Disconnect Phone from PC
16. Open Ninjamorph
17. Select "Existing Project".
18. Browse to the ORIGINAL eri.xml and select it.
19. Now browse to the eri.xml you placed on the sdcard after modifying it.
20. Hit yes, a few times here, it will now take you back to the Ninjamorph main screen.
21. Select "Finish Project".
You will now be prompted for a few things, like if you want Ninjamorph to optimize it since its a .apk, I chose NO, not sure what will happen if you choose yes. Once thats done, reboot and enjoy!!

Method 2:
COMING SOON!

dont forget to thank/donate to me if you like this and it helps you out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000003.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	847241   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000002.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	847242  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XperianceIT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fokezy
Old
Thanks Meter 48
I'm not 100% sure on this,but as I recall,build.prop changes are undone after each reboot. You cant see changes until you reboot,but it gets reset,so you cant do it.
But google for it and you will find an answer
If you want me to design something for your custom rom in my free time,just PM me...

fma965
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,400

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokezy View Post
I'm not 100% sure on this,but as I recall,build.prop changes are undone after each reboot. You cant see changes until you reboot,but it gets reset,so you cant do it.
But google for it and you will find an answer
That's not true. If it was we wouldn't be changing dpi, model etc via build.Prop

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY MAKE SURE YOU TYPE "@Fma965" OR "QUOTE" MY POST

LG G2 SPECIFIC STUFF
Stock Firmware Mirror --- ROM Patcher

XPERIA PLAY SPECIFIC STUFF
My Website --- My Twitter --- My Threads

kupo5131
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperianceIT View Post
Ok here is a question for ya guys... is there a way to modify the build.prop to change the word "Verizon Wireless" on my status bar to say something different? I did it once on my Optimus S which was fully unlocked and rooted. My Play is rooted but BL locked. I have tried a few times using ROM Toolbox's build.prop editor and it saves the words i put in, but nothing changes on status bar even after reboot. What i did on my Optimus was every word that said "Sprint" i changed to say "gROM 2.2" and it worked, but i cant get it to work on my Play.
You mean in the notification drop down? I believe that information is stored in the framework not in the build.prop.

HTC Sensation XE ..::.. CyangenMod 10.1 Kang by albinoman887 ..::.. S-OFF and rooted

XperianceIT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Yes in the drop down. I know for Optimus S it was in build.prop, but it could be different for Verizon Xperia Play.

antEris
Old
Thanks Meter 65
The text for the carrier label is in an XML file in the framework-res.apk.

Its under /system/framework/framework-res.apk

Then you'll need to edit eri.xml inside the apk on your computer, then push it back to your phone

You can find more specific instructions Googling "how to edit eri.xml"

Or you might try conap's app to do it all for you, not sure if it will work as its intended for use with aosp roms but heck, Verizon's rom kinda looks aosp. Worth a try anyway.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=960099

Hope this helps.

Sent from my R800x using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to antEris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XperianceIT
Old
(Last edited by XperianceIT; 8th January 2012 at 04:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Oh dude, im so walking to my laptop right now to try it!

**UPDATE: The Conaps App didnt work, resulted in having to do a nandroid recovery.
Got it! Took over an hour of playing and several crashes, 2 bootloops, and 2 nandroid recoveries later! But its friggin done!
See Original Post for full guide!!
Screenshots attached!

Sent from my R800x using XDA App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	847218   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot_000002.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	847219  
The Following User Says Thank You to XperianceIT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kupo5131
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Has anyone on Three UK managed to get this to work?? It's hard to find the right lines of code when you're looking for "3".

HTC Sensation XE ..::.. CyangenMod 10.1 Kang by albinoman887 ..::.. S-OFF and rooted

XperianceIT
Old
(Last edited by XperianceIT; 9th January 2012 at 01:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo5131 View Post
Has anyone on Three UK managed to get this to work?? It's hard to find the right lines of code when you're looking for "3".

Oh wow, i didnt think of that.... let me take a look at the ERI.XML i have and see if maybe i can reference where my banner name is, maybe that will help.

I attached a screenshot of my eri.xml with some notes, let me know if this works, so i can update the guide for your guys phones as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to XperianceIT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kupo5131
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperianceIT View Post
Oh wow, i didnt think of that.... let me take a look at the ERI.XML i have and see if maybe i can reference where my banner name is, maybe that will help.

I attached a screenshot of my eri.xml with some notes, let me know if this works, so i can update the guide for your guys phones as well.
Thanks for the quick reply but I don't see any attachments :P