Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 43,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Convert the Tilt to have a front-facing cam?

Tip us?

lenknermj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Lightbulb Convert the Tilt to have a front-facing cam?

I have a Tilt, which (I'm sure most of you know) AT&T has intelligently decided to have HTC remove the front-camera from - ya know, the one that would make a video call possible...

Anyway, I found an HTC original TyTNII/Kaiser housing with the front bezel with the video 'hole' on it on CNN.CN for $70, and was wondering if anyone knows where I could get the camera portion of it, and if this conversion is possible? I already have Dutty's pre-departure WM6.1 ROM on the phone, so I'm anticipating that the ROM is capable of it - just not the phone.

Any success stories, testimonials, ideas, advice, words of caution or other?

TIA,
M

3waygeek
Old
Thanks Meter 36
You know, of course, that the AT&T network doesn't support video calls -- that's why they didn't select the 2-camera version of the Kaiser.

lenknermj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waygeek View Post
You know, of course, that the AT&T network doesn't support video calls -- that's why they didn't select the 2-camera version of the Kaiser.
No, actually, I didn't know that...I thought video sharing was possible with it...I guess I just assumed that meant even live video.

Well, nevermind this thread then!! Stupid AT&T.

Thanks!
- M

cheese74
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Actually, it'd still be useful to know how easy it is to do it. Considering I'm currently using the Tilt in a country that does support Video calls...

new_ppc_user
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i would be interested to know if this was possible as well
You call your Nokia a Smartphone?

VirgilWoods
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It would be great to know this, simply because it makes it easier to take self pictures and use your phone as a webcam. In fact, maybe we can get a seperate Kaiser 3 megapixel camera and stick it in that front cam area.

Samson711
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I personally think that it is not this easy to do and the costs propably would exceed the amount you saved by buying the Tilt Version of the Kaiser

lenknermj
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson711 View Post
I personally think that it is not this easy to do and the costs propably would exceed the amount you saved by buying the Tilt Version of the Kaiser

Maybe...but to be honest, I bought 3 HTC's with cracked LCD's on Fleabay (8125, 8525, and the Tilt) for Under $400....then I fixed and resold the other two, and ended up with a 'Like-new' Tilt for about $120....Consdering what I would have paid new, I think I saved a lot more than just the difference between a new Kaiser and what I'm 'into' my Tilt for.

Sorry - just started fixing HTC's and felt the need to boast a little....

- M

osunick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Congratulations! Though changing the screens is trivially easy on HTC phones... all you need is a torx wrench and some courage...

new_ppc_user
Old
Thanks Meter 0
so the quest continues.....does anyone have any inner knowledge of the tilt that can shed some light ?
You call your Nokia a Smartphone?