Convert the Tilt to have a front-facing cam?

OP lenknermj

14th April 2008, 08:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

38 posts
I have a Tilt, which (I'm sure most of you know) AT&T has intelligently decided to have HTC remove the front-camera from - ya know, the one that would make a video call possible...

Anyway, I found an HTC original TyTNII/Kaiser housing with the front bezel with the video 'hole' on it on CNN.CN for $70, and was wondering if anyone knows where I could get the camera portion of it, and if this conversion is possible? I already have Dutty's pre-departure WM6.1 ROM on the phone, so I'm anticipating that the ROM is capable of it - just not the phone.

Any success stories, testimonials, ideas, advice, words of caution or other?

TIA,
M
15th April 2008, 11:08 AM   |  #2  
Flag Duluth, GA
Thanks Meter: 36

747 posts
More
You know, of course, that the AT&T network doesn't support video calls -- that's why they didn't select the 2-camera version of the Kaiser.
15th April 2008, 02:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waygeek

You know, of course, that the AT&T network doesn't support video calls -- that's why they didn't select the 2-camera version of the Kaiser.

No, actually, I didn't know that...I thought video sharing was possible with it...I guess I just assumed that meant even live video.

Well, nevermind this thread then!! Stupid AT&T.

Thanks!
- M
16th April 2008, 08:33 AM   |  #4  

42 posts
Actually, it'd still be useful to know how easy it is to do it. Considering I'm currently using the Tilt in a country that does support Video calls...
16th April 2008, 03:03 PM   |  #5  
Flag Melbourne

98 posts
More
i would be interested to know if this was possible as well
17th April 2008, 01:15 AM   |  #6  
Flag Brooklyn NY

70 posts
More
It would be great to know this, simply because it makes it easier to take self pictures and use your phone as a webcam. In fact, maybe we can get a seperate Kaiser 3 megapixel camera and stick it in that front cam area.
17th April 2008, 09:11 AM   |  #7  
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 1

158 posts
More
I personally think that it is not this easy to do and the costs propably would exceed the amount you saved by buying the Tilt Version of the Kaiser
17th April 2008, 07:31 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson711

I personally think that it is not this easy to do and the costs propably would exceed the amount you saved by buying the Tilt Version of the Kaiser

Maybe...but to be honest, I bought 3 HTC's with cracked LCD's on Fleabay (8125, 8525, and the Tilt) for Under $400....then I fixed and resold the other two, and ended up with a 'Like-new' Tilt for about $120....Consdering what I would have paid new, I think I saved a lot more than just the difference between a new Kaiser and what I'm 'into' my Tilt for.

Sorry - just started fixing HTC's and felt the need to boast a little....

- M
17th April 2008, 09:16 PM   |  #9  

43 posts
More
Congratulations! Though changing the screens is trivially easy on HTC phones... all you need is a torx wrench and some courage...
20th April 2008, 10:37 PM   |  #10  
Flag Melbourne

98 posts
More
so the quest continues.....does anyone have any inner knowledge of the tilt that can shed some light ?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread