5,596,637 Members 44,065 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Tip us?

DeerSteak
Old
(Last edited by DeerSteak; 13th January 2012 at 12:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 57
Ugh. HDD death forced me to get a new drive and reinstall Windows. I have successfully installed the drivers in the KFU zip which I downloaded fresh today. Device Manager has no unknown devices, and I have an Android ADB interface in the list.

Right now it is plugged into the computer and the Kindle is displaying the "you can now transfer files from your computer to Kindle" screen with the Disconnect button, but it's not showing up. It also is not showing up in the Disk Management area in Computer Management. Also, KFU says ADB status is "offline" and boot status is "Unknown".

This is Win7 x64. Any ideas?

edit: fixed it. Unplugged the device and installed the drivers, then plugged it in. Voila, mounts in Windows.

mark_a_l
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Well, I just updated FFF on both of my KFs using the manual method. If you have made a factory cable it's as easy as powering up with the cable connected and running:

fastboot flash bootloader u-boot.bin

Power down the device and unplug the cable. No need to switch boot modes back when using a factory cable.

eratosthene
Old
(Last edited by eratosthene; 16th January 2012 at 10:54 PM.) Reason: changed download link
Thanks Meter 10
Default Mac/Linux version of Kindle Fire Utility

I've ported the utility to both Mac and Linux platforms. Should work fine, but YMMV. Download the following:

http://db.tt/bl5THvev
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eratosthene For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

C0deMaver1ck
Old
Thanks Meter 51

DONATE TO ME
Awesome! Thought I was gonna have to do this myself

dmlangdon
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Missing GMail APK?

I used the utility last night and got my kindle rooted and the Market & other Google apps installed, but I noticed that the Google GMail app was not loaded onto my Fire. I was under the impression this was in the Google apps collection. Is it supposed to be there and if so, anybody have an ideas as to why it may not have been installed on my tablet? I would prefer to use the Google GMail app as that allows me to also connect to my corporate GMail account while the Kindle email app only allows a connection to my personal GMail account.

Vashypooh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 598

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlangdon View Post
I used the utility last night and got my kindle rooted and the Market & other Google apps installed, but I noticed that the Google GMail app was not loaded onto my Fire. I was under the impression this was in the Google apps collection. Is it supposed to be there and if so, anybody have an ideas as to why it may not have been installed on my tablet? I would prefer to use the Google GMail app as that allows me to also connect to my corporate GMail account while the Kindle email app only allows a connection to my personal GMail account.
It will only install things that you cant find on the google market.

So use the market to go install gmail =]

imnotamorningguy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I ran the permanent root and then ran the option to install twrp but now i'm stuck on the "kindlefire" screen. The program says if we're stuck here for a long time to leave everything alone...how long is a long time? any help?

b63
Old
Thanks Meter 453
please read the tricks from the op (1st post)

imnotamorningguy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I tried the tricks.

I guess I should include the fact that I'm running Windows 7 through Parallels on a Mac. I keep seeing the message "cannot run recovery/recovery.img." I thought this was because it was not downloading the recovery image so I downloaded it myself, placed it in the recovery folder and renamed it "recovery.img" but I'm still getting the same error.

-I would try using the tool that was ported to the Mac but I'm better with this stuff when I use Windows. I couldn't get the drivers to install on my Mac so I couldn't run the tool.

b63
Old
Thanks Meter 453
that's a completly new message for me - never seen before
would you pm me a screenshot from the output of kfu - maybe i see something

otherwise i would ask vashypooh

Tags
bootmode, debrick, drivers, kindle, twrp
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe