Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,212 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where will 4G LTE ICS come from?

Tip us?

razorseal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default Where will 4G LTE ICS come from?

I believe the current one is coming from google/motorola, but that's the wifi only model.

I have the 4G model, and afaik verizon would be releasing it, because it has their reputation/name on it

I also know this is a 'GED' device, so google supports it

so who would it be that would deliver ICS?

because if it's verizon, I don't think the 4G guys are getting it this month, but if it's google/motorola, I assume it can be within a week or so...

ErantyInt
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Chances are, it has to pass through Verizon for rigorous testing before being delivered OTA to thousands of users.

dwboston
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
I believe the current one is coming from google/motorola, but that's the wifi only model.

I have the 4G model, and afaik verizon would be releasing it, because it has their reputation/name on it

I also know this is a 'GED' device, so google supports it

so who would it be that would deliver ICS?

because if it's verizon, I don't think the 4G guys are getting it this month, but if it's google/motorola, I assume it can be within a week or so...
It will come from Google. Verizon will sign off on it, but it will come from Google. There seems to be a misconception around here that only the WiFi Xoom is a Google Experience Device (GED). Not true - the 3G/4G Xoom is as well. All updates have come from Google.

SamuriHL
Old
Thanks Meter 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
It will come from Google. Verizon will sign off on it, but it will come from Google. There seems to be a misconception around here that only the WiFi Xoom is a Google Experience Device (GED). Not true - the 3G/4G Xoom is as well. All updates have come from Google.
That's what I originally thought, as well, but, I was told only the wifi version is a GED earlier today. It was my understanding that all US versions of the Xoom were GED. If so, then maybe there's hope we'll see it sooner rather than later. After all, they have to do a soak test, right?

dwboston
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That's what I originally thought, as well, but, I was told only the wifi version is a GED earlier today. It was my understanding that all US versions of the Xoom were GED. If so, then maybe there's hope we'll see it sooner rather than later. After all, they have to do a soak test, right?
All US versions of the Xoom are GEDs. If they weren't, Moto would have been able to use a custom kernel to enable full SD card access, like they did with Xooms in other countries. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from that only the WiFi Xoom is a GED. That's not the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwboston For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SamuriHL
Old
Thanks Meter 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
All US versions of the Xoom are GEDs. If they weren't, Moto would have been able to use a custom kernel to enable full SD card access, like they did with Xooms in other countries. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from that only the WiFi Xoom is a GED. That's not the case.
That is what I originally thought until I was told different. Thank you for confirming that!

razorseal
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
So it won't be long before us 4g guys get it too. Unless Verizon had to test it out before signing off on it...

Posted from my Atrix 4G
Phone - AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III - CM10 - Jelly Bean
Tablet - Motorola Xoom 4G - Team EOS Jelly Bean 3.0.0

SamuriHL
Old
Thanks Meter 1272
Let's hope so. Although I'm now running team EOS nightlies and have to say I may just stick with this. It's quite amazing. I'll install the official release once it's out there but I'm likely going to keep this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Samsung S4 Google Play Edition
Moto X Developer Edition

flyerwire
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
So it won't be long before us 4g guys get it too. Unless Verizon had to test it out before signing off on it...

Posted from my Atrix 4G
Verizon does have to OK it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

SamuriHL
Old
Thanks Meter 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerwire View Post
Verizon does have to OK it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Yea....we're screwed then. Maybe June or September. LOL!