MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Where will 4G LTE ICS come from?

13th January 2012, 10:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag South FL
Thanks Meter: 45

819 posts
More
I believe the current one is coming from google/motorola, but that's the wifi only model.

I have the 4G model, and afaik verizon would be releasing it, because it has their reputation/name on it

I also know this is a 'GED' device, so google supports it

so who would it be that would deliver ICS?

because if it's verizon, I don't think the 4G guys are getting it this month, but if it's google/motorola, I assume it can be within a week or so...
13th January 2012, 10:50 PM   |  #2  
Flag Olympia
Thanks Meter: 69

142 posts
More
Chances are, it has to pass through Verizon for rigorous testing before being delivered OTA to thousands of users.
14th January 2012, 02:15 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 24

191 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal

I believe the current one is coming from google/motorola, but that's the wifi only model.

I have the 4G model, and afaik verizon would be releasing it, because it has their reputation/name on it

I also know this is a 'GED' device, so google supports it

so who would it be that would deliver ICS?

because if it's verizon, I don't think the 4G guys are getting it this month, but if it's google/motorola, I assume it can be within a week or so...

It will come from Google. Verizon will sign off on it, but it will come from Google. There seems to be a misconception around here that only the WiFi Xoom is a Google Experience Device (GED). Not true - the 3G/4G Xoom is as well. All updates have come from Google.
14th January 2012, 02:35 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,487

2,478 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston

It will come from Google. Verizon will sign off on it, but it will come from Google. There seems to be a misconception around here that only the WiFi Xoom is a Google Experience Device (GED). Not true - the 3G/4G Xoom is as well. All updates have come from Google.

That's what I originally thought, as well, but, I was told only the wifi version is a GED earlier today. It was my understanding that all US versions of the Xoom were GED. If so, then maybe there's hope we'll see it sooner rather than later. After all, they have to do a soak test, right?
14th January 2012, 02:46 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 24

191 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL

That's what I originally thought, as well, but, I was told only the wifi version is a GED earlier today. It was my understanding that all US versions of the Xoom were GED. If so, then maybe there's hope we'll see it sooner rather than later. After all, they have to do a soak test, right?

All US versions of the Xoom are GEDs. If they weren't, Moto would have been able to use a custom kernel to enable full SD card access, like they did with Xooms in other countries. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from that only the WiFi Xoom is a GED. That's not the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwboston For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2012, 02:47 AM   |  #6  

2,478 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston

All US versions of the Xoom are GEDs. If they weren't, Moto would have been able to use a custom kernel to enable full SD card access, like they did with Xooms in other countries. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from that only the WiFi Xoom is a GED. That's not the case.

That is what I originally thought until I was told different. Thank you for confirming that!
14th January 2012, 01:41 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag South FL
Thanks Meter: 45

819 posts
More
So it won't be long before us 4g guys get it too. Unless Verizon had to test it out before signing off on it...

Posted from my Atrix 4G
14th January 2012, 01:48 PM   |  #8  

2,478 posts
More
Let's hope so. Although I'm now running team EOS nightlies and have to say I may just stick with this. It's quite amazing. I'll install the official release once it's out there but I'm likely going to keep this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
14th January 2012, 10:22 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 11

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal

So it won't be long before us 4g guys get it too. Unless Verizon had to test it out before signing off on it...

Posted from my Atrix 4G

Verizon does have to OK it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
14th January 2012, 10:25 PM   |  #10  

2,478 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerwire

Verizon does have to OK it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Yea....we're screwed then. Maybe June or September. LOL!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread