Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,152 Members 54,212 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where will 4G LTE ICS come from?

Tip us?
 
razorseal
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 818
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South FL
Default Where will 4G LTE ICS come from?

I believe the current one is coming from google/motorola, but that's the wifi only model.

I have the 4G model, and afaik verizon would be releasing it, because it has their reputation/name on it

I also know this is a 'GED' device, so google supports it

so who would it be that would deliver ICS?

because if it's verizon, I don't think the 4G guys are getting it this month, but if it's google/motorola, I assume it can be within a week or so...
 
ErantyInt
Old
#2  
ErantyInt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 142
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Olympia
Chances are, it has to pass through Verizon for rigorous testing before being delivered OTA to thousands of users.
 
dwboston
Old
#3  
dwboston's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 191
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
I believe the current one is coming from google/motorola, but that's the wifi only model.

I have the 4G model, and afaik verizon would be releasing it, because it has their reputation/name on it

I also know this is a 'GED' device, so google supports it

so who would it be that would deliver ICS?

because if it's verizon, I don't think the 4G guys are getting it this month, but if it's google/motorola, I assume it can be within a week or so...
It will come from Google. Verizon will sign off on it, but it will come from Google. There seems to be a misconception around here that only the WiFi Xoom is a Google Experience Device (GED). Not true - the 3G/4G Xoom is as well. All updates have come from Google.
 
SamuriHL
Old
#4  
SamuriHL's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1272
Posts: 2,259
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
It will come from Google. Verizon will sign off on it, but it will come from Google. There seems to be a misconception around here that only the WiFi Xoom is a Google Experience Device (GED). Not true - the 3G/4G Xoom is as well. All updates have come from Google.
That's what I originally thought, as well, but, I was told only the wifi version is a GED earlier today. It was my understanding that all US versions of the Xoom were GED. If so, then maybe there's hope we'll see it sooner rather than later. After all, they have to do a soak test, right?
 
dwboston
Old
#5  
dwboston's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 191
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
That's what I originally thought, as well, but, I was told only the wifi version is a GED earlier today. It was my understanding that all US versions of the Xoom were GED. If so, then maybe there's hope we'll see it sooner rather than later. After all, they have to do a soak test, right?
All US versions of the Xoom are GEDs. If they weren't, Moto would have been able to use a custom kernel to enable full SD card access, like they did with Xooms in other countries. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from that only the WiFi Xoom is a GED. That's not the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwboston For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SamuriHL
Old
#6  
SamuriHL's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1272
Posts: 2,259
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
All US versions of the Xoom are GEDs. If they weren't, Moto would have been able to use a custom kernel to enable full SD card access, like they did with Xooms in other countries. I'm not sure where the misinformation came from that only the WiFi Xoom is a GED. That's not the case.
That is what I originally thought until I was told different. Thank you for confirming that!
 
razorseal
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 818
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South FL
So it won't be long before us 4g guys get it too. Unless Verizon had to test it out before signing off on it...

Posted from my Atrix 4G
Phone - AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III - CM10 - Jelly Bean
Tablet - Motorola Xoom 4G - Team EOS Jelly Bean 3.0.0
 
SamuriHL
Old
#8  
SamuriHL's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1272
Posts: 2,259
Join Date: Aug 2010
Let's hope so. Although I'm now running team EOS nightlies and have to say I may just stick with this. It's quite amazing. I'll install the official release once it's out there but I'm likely going to keep this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk


Samsung S4 Google Play Edition
Moto X Developer Edition
 
flyerwire
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
So it won't be long before us 4g guys get it too. Unless Verizon had to test it out before signing off on it...

Posted from my Atrix 4G
Verizon does have to OK it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
 
SamuriHL
Old
#10  
SamuriHL's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1272
Posts: 2,259
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerwire View Post
Verizon does have to OK it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Yea....we're screwed then. Maybe June or September. LOL!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more

Android 4.4.3 Begins Rolling Out to European HTC One M8

Shortly after the USA Unlocked and Developer Editions of the HTC One M8 received the … more

Modernize Your Emails with Email Popup

SMS andHangouts messages likely won’t ever replace traditional Emails for more formal … more

Change Your Toast Notification Style with XToast

Android uses multipletypes of notifications. One of these isknown as a toast notification. … more