[APP]Ubuntu Install Guide - Desire Testers wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Never got Unity running properly. I Gave up finally, after seeing gnomes performance in comparison. As much as I didn't like the LXDE look, I stuck with it as the performance was brilliant compared to everything else I tried.

In the end, I got it to look fairly close to unity, with just a few bits missing.

Looks better on the phone than here though:

screenshot-1326511888413.png

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Never got Unity running properly. I Gave up finally, after seeing gnomes performance in comparison. As much as I didn't like the LXDE look, I stuck with it as the performance was brilliant compared to everything else I tried.

In the end, I got it to look fairly close to unity, with just a few bits missing.

Looks better on the phone than here though:

screenshot-1326511888413.png

You may well be in luck, I have had some brake throughs in the unity front just trying to get it to boot along side gnome and lxde

Sent from my Desire S using xda premium

Reactions: danarama

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Ive got a question.

Im looking to automate the process as much as possible. The reason being, I want to change the governor as I launch it. This all works fine using Script manager.

The issue is that script manager has its own console. So when that closes, I do not have a terminal linked to the Ubuntu terminal.

Is there a command I can use in the terminal to "attach" it? This way I can also run an exit script that will change the governor back.

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Ive got a question.

Im looking to automate the process as much as possible. The reason being, I want to change the governor as I launch it. This all works fine using Script manager.

The issue is that script manager has its own console. So when that closes, I do not have a terminal linked to the Ubuntu terminal.

Is there a command I can use in the terminal to "attach" it? This way I can also run an exit script that will change the governor back.

hmmmm I'm not sure, one way is you can set commands to run on the start up of the terminal app.. I think its in the settings of the terminal app somewhere.

On other news, sadly Unity will not be included in the next update (now uploading) as its still not working with my boot menu and I really want people to be able to select which desktop they want. So for now included is LXDE and Gnome, in the next update Unity and XFCE will hopefully be included.

The update will also fix problems with java, and allow you to define your screen size at boot

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
I use the terminal for various things so maybe that wont be ideal. I suppose I could modify the ubuntu.sh but it just means I have to do that every time I update it.

How well does gnome run?

What did you do to fix issues with unity to get it to run?

The ubuntu.sh must do something to attach to the terminal, I just cant see what.

Ok another question, I dont quite understand how this runs from an image and what starting it actually does. Are there alternative ways to stop the linux machine?

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
I use the terminal for various things so maybe that wont be ideal. I suppose I could modify the ubuntu.sh but it just means I have to do that every time I update it.

How well does gnome run?

What did you do to fix issues with unity to get it to run?

Gnome runs rather well, lagyer than LXDE but better than I first thought it would.

Unity is not completely fixed at the moment, due to wanting to be able to connect to gnome or unity. It just always connects to gnome xD

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Ok a new test image is ready for download.

This is a updated large image (~3.5GB extracted) with the following updates:
  • Boot process now asks you for what screen size you want (type in the format 800x480 for example)
  • Boot process now lets you select what desktop enviroment you want to use (Gnome and LXDE included to start with more to come!)
  • Image has been recompiled to fix java and other programs
  • Image has been compressed using a different programs to fix errors when uncompressed in linux

please test and let me know how it goes! if everything works I will update the paid app with a fast link tomorrow!

Download HERE

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Sopa strike

Tomorrow as im sure you all know XDA will be having a 12 hour black out and all of tomorrow my sites will be blacked out and I will not be doing any work on my linux projects in protest, if the SOPA and PIPA bills are past then it will be the end of freedom of speech and the internet as we know it.
This would put a hell of a lot of pressure on developers to keep within the 'laws', its very likely this site would face alot of pressure to shut down most of this forum if not the lot.

Thank you all, and I hope you also support the movement! for more information check this site
http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa

Super Benzino

Jun 4, 2011
Bar
SE Arc S, SoftWhite MIUI 2.1.6., JasonStein Kernel 2.6.32.9...
small pakage works very well, big doesn't...
I forgot to save log, I'll post it tomorrow...
Anyway, brilliant work!

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
The new update for the paid version has now been pushed to the marketplace!

I have also started a source forge project for this project, which can be found here https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxonandroid/ I am still setting it up but I will host the files for the free app here and the source code for the boot script init.sh. We can also then make use of the sites wiki and bug tracker to make it easier for me to handle the bugs that are found.

My next job will be to update the small image, and then I will be doing some more work on the boot script, my aim will be to make it so it doesn't matter where the script and image are it will still boot.
I also want to script to be able to work out what mount points a device has so it can mount both internal and external storage, but for this I need you help!

I need everyone to post the mount points for different storages for example on my archos 101 the internal storage is mounted at /sdcard and the external is /sdcard/externalsd.
Once I have a large list I can make the script look for all of these and mount what a device has.

Thanks you all

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hello guys,
Thank you all for the amount of support you have given this project! I have now decided to stop updating this thread. If people still have bugs from this thread please go to the Main project thread HERE.

I will stop updating this thread because I feel we now know what roms/kernels do and don't work so there is no need for me to keep updating this thread (And the other 5 threads I run for certain devices), but of cause if you do still have problems reply to the main thread or PM me!

Once again thank you all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys,
    Thank you all for the amount of support you have given this project! I have now decided to stop updating this thread. If people still have bugs or want to keep following this project please go to the Main project thread HERE.

I will stop updating this thread because I feel we now know what roms/kernels do and don't work so there is no need for me to keep updating this thread (And the other 5 threads I run for certain devices), but of cause if you do still have problems reply to the main thread or PM me!

Once again thank you all!!

I have released the first version of my app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have only been able to test the app on my HTC Desire S and Gen 8 Archos tablet and as such I need you guys to test this on your phone/tablet and post back how it works on your device!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.
    Website
    http://zpwebsites.com/android-app/ubuntu-install-guide/devices/

Video
    http://youtu.be/3WNeY9b5DIg

App Download

Boot Script
    ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Images
    These images are 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing'

Lightweight Images
    These images are just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, firefox, + other basic programs)

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
    The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
    Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
    ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
    Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
    Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
    06/01/12
    *PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
    *New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
    *Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
    *Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
    *Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
    *PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
    *ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
    *ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
    *ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
    *Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
    *Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
    New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
    New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
    FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
    PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions

See how deep the rabbit-hole goes...
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/
    Very good thread here!!

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

this works with htc 3.5 sense??
    Thanks for responding me and to everyone who asking here! U are great man!!!
    is there a posibility to run one of this images on sense 3.5?????
    Thanks a lot for backtrack5 images !!! U are great!!!
    I rate it you thread because is excelent!!!