[TUTORIAL] Setting up and Compiling JB and ICS from AOSP

Search This thread

Treken

Nov 27, 2010
Houston
Ok, here's what I'm doing...I downloaded the aosp source tree and compile for the toro build. I created a repo in github and pushed the frameworks/base/ to it so I can make edits and compile based from those edits. A friend told me to just repo what I want to edit. So my question is, how do I implement my repo in the build when compiling but yet pull the rest of the things I didn't change from the aosp repos? Another friend told me the default.xml but I don't know where to look for that. Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

PaulW21781

Jan 15, 2006
Manchester
Ok, here's what I'm doing...I downloaded the aosp source tree and compile for the toro build. I created a repo in github and pushed the frameworks/base/ to it so I can make edits and compile based from those edits. A friend told me to just repo what I want to edit. So my question is, how do I implement my repo in the build when compiling but yet pull the rest of the things I didn't change from the aosp repos? Another friend told me the default.xml but I don't know where to look for that. Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

Are you literally making a new project and uploading to it? Or are you going to github.com/android and forking the platform_frameworks_base from there into your git and then modyfying your own fork?

Personally, best practice is to fork projects from github.com/android into your own repo by pressing the
repostat_forks.png
Fork button, then clone your own repo

Within there, you then want to add the upstream branch, eg:

git clone git@github.com:YourUserName/platform_manifest.git
cd platform_manifest
git remote add upstream git://github.com/android/platform_manifest.git
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/master

(note, I use Master branch, hence upstream/master. For other branches, simply replace master for the branch)

Same for other projects (frameworks_base) that way, to keep up to date with google's commits too, you simply go into the folder and type:

git fetch upstream

:)

Also, fork your own copy of github.com/android/platform_manifest

Then to pull your own repo from git instead of Androids, edit the file platform_manifest/default.xml and include the following:

Where it says this:
Code:
  <remote  name="aosp"
           fetch=".."
           review="https://android-review.googlesource.com/" />
  <default revision="master"
           remote="aosp"
           sync-j="4" />

Change it to this
Code:
  <remote  name="aosp"
           fetch="https://android.googlesource.com/"

<remote  name="gh"
           fetch="git://github.com/"
           revision="master" />

remote="aosp"
           sync-j="4" />

Then to pull your own packages (for instance, your own platform_frameworks_base, do this change:

From
Code:
  <project path="frameworks/base" name="platform/frameworks/base" />

To
Code:
  <project path="frameworks/base" remote="gh" name="PaulW/platform_frameworks_base" />

(Change PaulW to whatever the username of your github account is)

Hope this helps a little!

Treken

Nov 27, 2010
Houston
I think I'm going to use CM to fork from. So I would change this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

<remote name="aosp"
fetch="https://android.googlesource.com/" />

<remote name="github"
review="review.cyanogenmod.com" />

<remote name="github-https"
fetch="https://github.com/"

<default revision="refs/heads/ics"
remote="github"
sync-j="4" />
to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

<remote name="aosp"
fetch="https://android.googlesource.com/" />

<remote name="github"

<remote name="github-https"
fetch="https://github.com/"

<remote name="gh"
revision="master" />

remote="aosp"
sync-j="4" />

Last edited:

PaulW21781

Jan 15, 2006
Manchester
Yes, and then for your own pull, have the remote="gh" included, and for a specific branch (ie, ics) have revision="ics" in there too (on the line for the individual packages you fork)

ie,

<project path="frameworks/base" remote="gh" name="Treken1/platform_frameworks_base" revision="ics" />

tannor

Dec 12, 2010
So i followed these directions and using Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, and did compile with -otaupdate and about 40 minutes in get the following error and it stops:

Code:
Building Clang Driver Option tables with tblgen
Host TableGen: vdc (gen-opt-parser-defs) <= external/clang/include/clang/Driver/Options.td
host C++: llvm-rs-cc <= frameworks/compile/slang/llvm-rs-cc.cpp
<command-line>:0:0: error: "_FORTIFY_SOURCE" redefined [-Werror]
<built-in>:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors

make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/EXECUTABLES/llvm-rs-cc_intermediates/llvm-rs-cc.o] Error 1

Anyone have any possible ideas? Thanks

EDIT: I got it to work. If anyone else runs on this on Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit, do this:

Code:
apt-get install gcc-4.4 g++-4.4 g++-4.4-multilib gcc-4.4-multilib

and then when you do your make command make sure to use this version of gcc

Code:
make CC=gcc-4.4 CXX=g++-4.4 -j1 otapackage

Last edited:

Snylter

Nov 2, 2010
Longyearbyen
My build ****s up the GPS.
Even if it is enabled in the menu, apps asks me to turn GPS on..

Any idea?
The build.prop-file gives no answer to why..

Also, how do I add root to my build? Should it be good enough to add the su-file in /system/bin and the Superuser.apk in /system/app ?

t4c

Feb 10, 2009
Nuremberg
www.ghcif.de
Hi there,

followed the guide on a plain Ubuntu and now I get this one:

papaschlumpf@putamadre:~/nexusdevel$ lunch

You're building on Linux

Lunch menu... pick a combo:
1. full-eng
2. full_x86-eng
3. vbox_x86-eng

Which would you like? [full-eng] ^C

EDIT: Just fixed it, sorry!
Where are my other options?

Last edited:

masi0

Jan 27, 2008
Warsaw
All, have two question - I have compiled the AOSP but where the .img file is located? Cannot find it

And here comes the questions:

- is it a 100% working 4.0.3 or sth is missing/not working?
- how is the battery life on it?
- is there any difference between AOSP and GSN rom?

dave_t321

Jul 29, 2010
All, have two question - I have compiled the AOSP but where the .img file is located? Cannot find it

And here comes the questions:

- is it a 100% working 4.0.3 or sth is missing/not working?
- how is the battery life on it?
- is there any difference between AOSP and GSN rom?

That's 4 questions! ;)

images and otapackage (if you built it) are in [build root]/out/target/product/[maguro or toro]/

Everything works if you have all the proprietary blobs included in your source. If you only have the Google supplied blobs (those extract .sh scripts) GPS and camera won't work.

Battery life is great! (ymmv)

Gapps and face-unlock aren't included in the AOSP source but these can be found around here somewhere..

dave_t321

Jul 29, 2010
Where do I find these proprietary blobs to include?
I only have the google-supplied extract sh-scripts..
This explains why my gps won't work..

You've got 2 options:

Git clone a vendor/samsung repository into your [built root]/vendor directory.

or

install a working 4.0.3 rom from here plug your phone into your computer and do this:

Code:
cd [build root]/vendor
rm -rf samsung
rm -rf imgtec
cd [build root]/device/samsung/[maguro or toro]
./extract-files.sh

That'll pull the proprietary files from the working build into your vendor directory. They'll all be in vendor/samsung rather than split between vendor/samsung and vendor/imgtec but they'll all be there.

Might be a good idea to make clean before you build again after that.

tannor

Dec 12, 2010
You've got 2 options:

or

install a working 4.0.3 rom from here plug your phone into your computer and do this:

That'll pull the proprietary files from the working build into your vendor directory. They'll all be in vendor/samsung rather than split between vendor/samsung and vendor/imgtec but they'll all be there.

I have not tested my build yet, but just curious isn't this the files you need?

http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html#toro

and there is one for GSM version

If not where do you find a repository to get it from?

Reactions: beekay201

Snylter

Nov 2, 2010
Longyearbyen
Those are just the files for graphics..
It seems like you still need gps and camera-drivers.

My build does not have a functionally GPS, I've not testet the camera as I never use it anyway.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
flash_image

Would someone be able to compile the flash_image binary for me from source here?

The current flash_image binary floating around the forums is not compatible with ICS.

I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post this request in.

scratch42069

Dec 13, 2011
Finally got a working build. What I did was just downloaded the propriertary binaries from one of the githubs and placed that in my vendor directory and I was able to get it to build with working camera and gps.

TulpiX

Sep 8, 2008
After you get the .img files. How do you add or delete files from those? As an example: how would you add the su binary ?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Snylter

Nov 2, 2010
Longyearbyen
Where should the su file be placed to make sure I got root?

Tulpix: add files in the correct folder under /out/target/product
Then do a make snod
This is what I did with gapps.

Snylter

Nov 2, 2010
Longyearbyen
Yes, I'm then running AOSP 4.0.3 with everything working just fine :)

I extracted the drivers from the phone as instructed at this webpage:
http://www.franziroesner.com/blog/2...ary-binaries-for-custom-android-galaxy-nexus/

I did a build with the proprietary binaries and the google binaries first.

Then I extracted GAPPS in to the correct place in the out-folder by using the script in the package in a slightly modified version for my system.
I put the Market.apk in to /out/target/product/maguro/system/app
I put the Superuser.apk in the same location.

I put su in to /out/target/product/maguro/system/xbin

I then did a make snod

Finally, I made an zip-file for use with fastboot, and flashed my phone.

This gave me a fully functional 4.0.3 with root :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quite a few people have asked about compiling ROMs from source, so here's a guide.

This guide is directed mainly at compiling JB or ICS for the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

It will show you how to set up the building environment really quickly with a few simple commands in the Terminal, then show you how to sync up with the repository and compile a ROM.

http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/compile-ics

It can also be done in a Virtual Machine.

Thanks Nathan (nprussell) for the write up!

My XDA TV Video Guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ReU-0w4IE&feature=g-u&context=G2a40714FUAAAAAAAZAA

---

Here are the steps:
    (There are additional things you can do via the link above).

======================

4star.png

IMPORTANT NOTES:

- For the purposes of this guide, you MUST be running 64-bit Ubuntu. This can be set up on a VM (it will compile if set correctly).
    - If using a VM, ensure you give it at LEAST 2gb RAM and 2xCores (it'll take 3-4 hours at best)
    - The source download is approximately 6gb.. you're going to need 25gb HD space for a single build.

To learn how to setup a Ubuntu 64bit VM on your Windows PC, use THIS GUIDE. I recommend using 10.04.

So... let's assume you're running Ubuntu 64 bit for the first time, and start right from the beginning.

NOTE : You're probably better of copying and pasting these commands, as some are quite long! All commands are in RED!

======================

1. Preparing your development environment

The very first thing you're going to need to do, is ensure you're working in a root terminal. Much like when using your Android phone, you'll want the # and not the $. In order to do this, open TERMINAL, and type:

sudo -i

Then type in your password. From this point forward, all of the commands in this guide assume you have root priviliges (saves typing sudo *superuser do* before everything!)

Next, we need to add a repository so that apt-get knows where to look for Java JDK:

add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"

After that, you'll need to update the repository with the following command:

apt-get update

Now that your repository has been updated, you can proceed with installing the required packages to make building Android from source possible. The first thing you're going to need is the Java Development Kit 6:

apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

Followed by (and this may already be installed depending on which version of Ubuntu you went for):

apt-get install python

Now you're going to need Git. Git is the revision control system.

apt-get install git-core

Now, you're going to pull in all the required packages needed for the build process. As I have stated already, this guide is for 64 bit ONLY. Some of these will not work on 32-bit, so if you're using 32 bit, you're reading the wrong guide (sorry)!

apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32readline5-dev lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils

IF YOU'RE USING UBUNTU 11.10, TYPE THIS COMMAND (if not, ignore this next one)

ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so

Congratulations; you now have all the required packages to proceed with the next step!

======================

2. Installing and initialising the repo

Now we need to download repo, add it to our path and set the permissions . Please note that if you close terminal, you'll have to do this again. Type each command on a new line, pressing enter after each:

mkdir ~/bin
    PATH=~/bin:$PATH
    curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
    chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Now we need to create a directory for where our source is going to be pulled to, and change directory to it:

mkdir ICS_SOURCE
    cd ICS_SOURCE

Next, you'll need to initialize the repo. There are two commands below; the top one initializes the specific branch, and the bottom is the master.

ONLY USE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS (recommended - TOP)

ICS: repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.0.4_r1
    Jellybean: repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.1.2_r1

OR:

repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest

You will now be prompted to provide your name and email address. Please give it real details; that way you can use the gerrit code review tool if your email is connected with a Google account.

======================

3. Downloading the source (sync)

This is probably the most simple part, but depending on your connection speed, it could take a while. I am on 40mb download/10mb up, and it took about 25 mins. If you're on a typical DSL connection, expect to be waiting 60-120 minutes.

repo sync

======================

4. Obtaining proprietary binaries

New for ICS, Android cannot just be compiled from source code only. It requires additional hardware-related proprietary libraries to run, specifically for graphics acceleration (and GSM/LTE).

The binaries must first be downloaded from here

Each set of binaries comes as a self-extracting script in a compressed archive. After uncompressing each archive, run the included self-extracting script from the root of the source tree, confirm that you agree to the terms of the enclosed license agreement, and the binaries and their matching makefiles will get installed in the vendor/ hierarchy of the source tree. For example... after extracting one of the files, you will have 'extract-imgtech-maguro.sh'. Simply run:

sh extract-imgtech-maguro.sh

From your ICS_Source directory.

IMPORTANT NOTE : If you are building for the Nexus S, you will need the Nexus S binaries.

======================

5. It's build time!

If you're a JAVA developer, feel free to have a play with the source and make any changes you want to make at this stage. Be careful though, adding rubbish/old syntax code to the source (formatting is slightly different to gingerbread) will cause the build to fail.

Assuming that you just want to get on with building ICS, set the build environment up with:

source build/envsetup.sh

Next, you'll need to lunch. I don't mean go and have a sandwich, I mean... select which device you're building for.

NOTE - you can add other devices to this list PRIOR to proceeding with this step. If you're NOT building for the GNexus, go to the bottom of this guide and look at how to add devices to the list.

As previously stated, we're going to assume you're building for the Galaxy nexus, so type:

lunch

You'll be presented with a number of options (full-eng, etc).
    ASlBF.png

If you're building for the Galaxy Nexus (codename: Maguro), type:

(7 for Nexus S and 6 for Nexus S 4G)

and hit enter. Now, we're ready to set the compile in motion, ladies and gentlemen. There's a lot of debate over the next bit. the -j part of the below command is technically not needed, but I have had MUCH more success compiling on a virtual machine with the -j1 added. Could be random... who knows...

Anyway, to set your build in motion, you now have TWO options. The first option will output the build as img files. The second option will output a flashable .zip file. I recommend the latter if you intent to use CWM over fastboot.

make -j1

or

make -j1 otapackage

Congratulations - in a few hours, you should have a working AOSP build for the Galaxy Nexus!

Are you literally making a new project and uploading to it? Or are you going to github.com/android and forking the platform_frameworks_base from there into your git and then modyfying your own fork?

Personally, best practice is to fork projects from github.com/android into your own repo by pressing the
    repostat_forks.png
    Fork button, then clone your own repo

Within there, you then want to add the upstream branch, eg:

git clone git@github.com:YourUserName/platform_manifest.git
    cd platform_manifest
    git remote add upstream git://github.com/android/platform_manifest.git
    git fetch upstream

(note, I use Master branch, hence upstream/master. For other branches, simply replace master for the branch)

Same for other projects (frameworks_base) that way, to keep up to date with google's commits too, you simply go into the folder and type:

git fetch upstream

:)

Also, fork your own copy of github.com/android/platform_manifest

Then to pull your own repo from git instead of Androids, edit the file platform_manifest/default.xml and include the following:

Where it says this:
    Code:
      <remote  name="aosp"
               fetch=".."
               remote="aosp"
               sync-j="4" />

Change it to this
    Code:
      <remote  name="aosp"
               fetch="https://android.googlesource.com/"

<remote  name="gh"
               revision="master" />

remote="aosp"
               sync-j="4" />

Then to pull your own packages (for instance, your own platform_frameworks_base, do this change:

From
    Code:
      <project path="frameworks/base" name="platform/frameworks/base" />

To
    Code:
      <project path="frameworks/base" remote="gh" name="PaulW/platform_frameworks_base" />

(Change PaulW to whatever the username of your github account is)

Hope this helps a little!
    Where do I find these proprietary blobs to include?
    I only have the google-supplied extract sh-scripts..
    This explains why my gps won't work..

You've got 2 options:

or

Code:
    cd [build root]/vendor
    rm -rf samsung
    rm -rf imgtec
    cd [build root]/device/samsung/[maguro or toro]
    ./extract-files.sh

Has anyone managed to build the android-4.0.1_r1.2 branch with Ubuntu 11.10?

I know it works on the master branch and the r1 branch supposedly didn't support it but have the build tools been updated this one?

Just wanted to check before commiting to a massive download!

The only thing to note with 11.10, is when you install all the build libraries, one of them is incorrect (no longer available in 11.10). Instead of installing lib32readline5-dev you need to install lib32readline-dev instead.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf build-essential \
      zip curl zlib1g-dev libc6-dev lib32ncurses5-dev ia32-libs \
      x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev lib32readline-dev lib32z-dev \
      libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown \
      libxml2-utils