I've been waiting to see what Sprint was doing with WiMax first before releasing this but now we know there will be no more WiMax smartphones...
As the WiMax enthusiasts already know... we can edit 99% of the same values as the OG Epic already using both ##DATA# > View > WiMAX and ##DEBUG# menus. Possibly the most useful edit is setting the Entry Rx levels from -89 to -110.. allowing those in low signal areas to still jump on 4G. The big edit that was missing on the E4GT was the ability to edit the WiMax MAC address. This is what I'm sharing today.
This can also be done on AOSP ICS without the need for the attached apk(still no ICS Touchwiz option). I've personally only done this with CM9 built by darchstar or sbrissen.. but it should work for others.
1. Use an app such as 'Any Cut' from the market to make shortcuts.
2. When scrolling through all of the available shortcut options you will see WIMAX_CFG and WimaxHiddenMenu. Make a shortcut to each.
3. Use WIMAX_CFG to set the Realm. Use WimaxHiddenMenu to set the MAC.
4. Hit the THANKS button because I'm jawsome.
1. Download the attached file and unzip
2. Replace unzipped file w/the file in /system/apps. make sure permissions are correct(Root Explorer makes this EZ)
3. Go to the dialer.. enter ##DEBUG# > WiMAX CT > Open Device.. Edit MAC and hit set. Done.
This will work on all Touchwiz based roms released up until this point(with unmodified dialers). I can not promise it will work on upcoming ICS Touchwiz builds
WiMax Realms(##DATA# > View > WiMAX > REALM):
Sprint - sprintpcs.com
Clear - clearwire-wmx.net
Rover - rover-wmx.net
Xohm - xohm.com
BridgeMAXX - bridgeMAXX.com
Time Warner - mobile.rr.com
Comcast - mob.comcast.net
FreedomPop - freedompop.com
IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE WORKING 4G ON YOUR EPIC 4G TOUCH W/ SPRINT OR DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO WITH THIS INFO THEN THIS MOD ISN'T FOR YOU... KEEP IT MOVIN'
THIS WILL NOT MAGICALLY GIVE YOU 4G RECEPTION IF YOU ARE NOT IN A WIMAX COVERAGE AREA.
Clear 4G Coverage Maps
S4GRU Phantom Coverage List
S4GRU WiMax Protection Site List
You're welcome. Dont forget to say thanks and/or donate.. I just made your E4GT on Sprint/Boost/Verizon/Cricket/Metro/Etc wayyy better until at least 2015. And try not to fill up the thread with BS questions like "what is this for".. or "how do I get my MSL"...