Official ASUS Thread - Serial Number Not Found

Search This thread

Gary Key

Apr 28, 2011
www.asus.com
Good Day,

For those users who are suffering from the "Serial Number Not Found" problem we are currently trying to replicate the problem. In the meantime, there has been some success following these instructions.

Issue -
1. System will not auto or manual update to the latest firmware or image.
a. Go to Settings, Backup and Reset, start a Factory Data Reset. Please do this and after the reset let the unit remain active (settings, display, sleep, always on) for 15 minutes with a WiFi connection active so the system can sync with the ASUS servers. Hopefully the system will see the update, if not please go to settings, About Tablet, and then double tap on System Firmware Update please.

b. Alternative Version until the Service Side Fix is implemented.

There is an alternative way to get the updated firmware on your unit.

Ensure you have a micro-sd card available for this update, please download from a PC the US (WW/TW released also) firmware for the device. Please verify that your firmware is US (or WW/TW). In the SETTING and ABOUT TABLET it will tell you in the About section.

Example: You should be able to see the build number US_epad-9.X.X.X_2012xxxx where "US" means build type.

You can download the correct update file from the support site on the below link.

http://support.asus.com/Download.as...cher.zip#US_epaduser9_4_2_7UpdateLauncher.zip

Extract the zip file to the root of your Micro-Sd. It should be the file US_epad-user-9.4.2.7.zip for the US version as an example.

Ensure the AC adapter is plugged in, all apps are closed and you are at the desktop screen, install the micro-SD card and you will get a notification on the bottom task bar to update the firmware. Please follow the instructions.

If that does not work, please PM the serial number of your unit.

1/16/12 Update - We have replicated this problem and hopefully we will have a solution shortly.

1/17/12 Update - Thank you to the users I reached out to for their contact information. You should hear from our engineering or technical support staff shortly to verify a few settings and to try another OTA update sequence. For those I did not contact yet, we might expand the group for additional testing. I have read all the messages so please do not be upset if we have not contacted you yet. We are very close to finalizing a fix for this problem but first we will have to confirm your unit setup.

1/18/12 Update - Technical Support and Engineering will contact another subset of users starting today. We are in the final process of testing two solutions to this problem.

1/19/12 Update - We are finalizing testing with the last subset of users and will post instructions on the fix in the near future. Just a reminder, for those I or engineering did not contact directly yet, it does not mean we are ignoring your problem. We have read all the messages so please do not be upset if we have not contacted you yet.

1/21/12 Update - I will have updates tomorrow and a new communication system with forum members headed up by a dedicated staff.

1/22/12 Update - I will provide an update tomorrow on our new Customer Service Support program for the Transformer Prime and additional forum support that will be coming in the very near future. In addition, I expect an update from engineering and service shortly for the resolution on this issue. We have completed replication testing.

1/23/12 Update -

For North American users with the Serial Number Not Found problem that we have not directly contacted during the replication testing cycle we ask that you please send the following information to tablet@asus.com :

Subject: <TF201 SN Not Found – Your Contact Name>

Body:
Name: Your Customer Name
Phone: A contact phone number
Email: Your Email address
SN#: Your TF201 Serial Number

A customer care representative or technician will take your information, confirm the status of the serial number on our server, ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If this fix does not work they will walk you through the next series of steps to correct it.

1/25/12 Update -
One option to fix this problem is to complete a manual update process, set the unit power mode to balanced performance and screen brightness manually to 50%, and then manually update to the latest ICS build using these instructions - http://service.asus.com/TF201_fwupdate. You will need a fully charged battery and have the system plugged into AC power. After the update is completed, please ensure there is a WiFi connection available and let the system idle with an active WiFi connection (ensure the system does not go to sleep) for 15~20 minutes and then reboot. If the serial number is not available after this process, please follow these instructions:

For North American users with the Serial Number Not Found problem that we have not directly contacted during the replication testing cycle we ask that you please send the following information to tablet@asus.com :

Body:
Process Already Completed - Manual Firmware Update to latest ICS ROM Image

A customer care representative or technician will confirm the status of the serial number on our server, contact you and might ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If the serial number is not located, the unit will need to be returned for a replacement procedure.

2/12/2012 Update -
If North American users are still experiencing the Serial Number Not Found Problem after completing a manual update to ICS, then please send your contact information and serial number to tablet@asus.com. If you do not hear back from Service within 48 hours, please PM me directly.

3/6/2012 Update:
I am back and will start answering messages.

Note - For those users who provided this information already based on direct contact from us, you will be notified shortly. For those users who provided their serial numbers but were not contacted by us for further testing you will need to either send the email above or call the hotline. We sincerely apologize about this inconvenience but your TF201 will be fixed shortly.

Last edited:

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
wow, a company sends some nice guy to post on XDA for help and assistance. This is just amazing imho, never seen a company do that. A whole new lvl of customer support, thx asus&mr. Gary Key :) And i hope all the problems get sorted out.

+1

Waiting for my prime to arrive... :rolleyes:

Mcoupe

Jan 16, 2011
wow, a company sends some nice guy to post on XDA for help and assistance. This is just amazing imho, never seen a company do that. A whole new lvl of customer support, thx asus&mr. Gary Key :) And i hope all the problems get sorted out.

+1

Waiting for my prime to arrive... :rolleyes:

No doubt! This makes me feel so much better about my purchase. Gary we can't thank you enough for taking your personal time to help us out.

You are still traveling correct?

And a car buff to boot.....awesome!

THANKS GARY

sdelliott31

Jun 17, 2008
On a Sunday no less....

I had said it takes guts for you to come on here with all the issues flying around and I stand by that. I don't have this issue but wanted to also add my thanks.

Munkee Boy

Jan 5, 2012
Hi Gary, thanks for trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I received my Champagne prime on Dec 24. It originally had firmware v8.8.3.23. I noticed I wasn't getting updates about a day later and have been worried about this ever since. I called Asus support and they were no help. I have manually updated to 8.8.3.29. I tried the factory reset per your instructions several times tonight with no luck. Still no serial number or ICS update. I have PM'd you the serial number for my unit. Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

tomrobbo26

Feb 3, 2011
Durham
Really appreciate your help with this one Gary. Hopefully you'll be able to sort a fix.

Have tried what you mentioned but still to no avail. I have PM'd you my serial number.

All the best.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Gary, I know one thing for sure. Asus need to seriously look into QC. All the problems on forums and also my first transformer prime having 3 dents on the back makes me really worried what will i receive next time.

I know you are based in US, but out of interest, are EU batches any different from US, or are they from different production line?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App

Rogue100

Jan 12, 2012
Going to go ahead and give this a try. Tried a reset once to no avail, but didn't wait 15 minutes with system active, so conceivable that it could work as described this time.

Will update with results.

SonicTab

Nov 25, 2010
No luck here after following the instructions.
Still reports Unknown serial number and no ICS update offered.

I was able to manually update via sd card to the latest Honeycomb version.

Will send serial, thanks for trying to solve this.

Last edited:

Tech Faded

Jan 7, 2012
Pensacola
I absolutely love the responsibility Asus is taking for this problem by actually talking to the community. I very rarely see this kind of intuitive that Gary is taking by helping his customers!

orangeirwin

Jan 16, 2012
I attempted to send my SN to Gary but I do not think it went through as I am a new member, factory reset did not help my prime.

xRedLeadrx

Aug 4, 2008
Factory reset and wait was not a solution, nor was trying to force the update after the wait. I have been able to manually update to 8.8.3.33 but there is currently no way for me to get ICS. Also a new member so unable to PM. Thanks for the open communication.

Rogue100

Jan 12, 2012
I attempted to send my SN to Gary but I do not think it went through as I am a new member, factory reset did not help my prime.

This may be the case for me as well. Sent a pm to Gary, but seeing zero messages in my sent messages list. Might just be that it doesnt show there until the recipient actually views it.
Anyways, Gary, if you didn't get pms from any of us who said we sent them, let us know.

bubigrega

Jan 1, 2009
You need 8 posts to be able to post links on forum. Maybe is the same for PM? But think positiv! :)
Good job Asus and Gary!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Day,

For those users who are suffering from the "Serial Number Not Found" problem we are currently trying to replicate the problem. In the meantime, there has been some success following these instructions.

Issue -
    1. System will not auto or manual update to the latest firmware or image.
    a. Go to Settings, Backup and Reset, start a Factory Data Reset. Please do this and after the reset let the unit remain active (settings, display, sleep, always on) for 15 minutes with a WiFi connection active so the system can sync with the ASUS servers. Hopefully the system will see the update, if not please go to settings, About Tablet, and then double tap on System Firmware Update please.

b. Alternative Version until the Service Side Fix is implemented.

There is an alternative way to get the updated firmware on your unit.

Ensure you have a micro-sd card available for this update, please download from a PC the US (WW/TW released also) firmware for the device. Please verify that your firmware is US (or WW/TW). In the SETTING and ABOUT TABLET it will tell you in the About section.

Example: You should be able to see the build number US_epad-9.X.X.X_2012xxxx where "US" means build type.

You can download the correct update file from the support site on the below link.

http://support.asus.com/Download.as...cher.zip#US_epaduser9_4_2_7UpdateLauncher.zip

Extract the zip file to the root of your Micro-Sd. It should be the file US_epad-user-9.4.2.7.zip for the US version as an example.

Ensure the AC adapter is plugged in, all apps are closed and you are at the desktop screen, install the micro-SD card and you will get a notification on the bottom task bar to update the firmware. Please follow the instructions.

If that does not work, please PM the serial number of your unit.

1/16/12 Update - We have replicated this problem and hopefully we will have a solution shortly.

1/17/12 Update - Thank you to the users I reached out to for their contact information. You should hear from our engineering or technical support staff shortly to verify a few settings and to try another OTA update sequence. For those I did not contact yet, we might expand the group for additional testing. I have read all the messages so please do not be upset if we have not contacted you yet. We are very close to finalizing a fix for this problem but first we will have to confirm your unit setup.

1/18/12 Update - Technical Support and Engineering will contact another subset of users starting today. We are in the final process of testing two solutions to this problem.

1/19/12 Update - We are finalizing testing with the last subset of users and will post instructions on the fix in the near future. Just a reminder, for those I or engineering did not contact directly yet, it does not mean we are ignoring your problem. We have read all the messages so please do not be upset if we have not contacted you yet.

1/21/12 Update - I will have updates tomorrow and a new communication system with forum members headed up by a dedicated staff.

1/22/12 Update - I will provide an update tomorrow on our new Customer Service Support program for the Transformer Prime and additional forum support that will be coming in the very near future. In addition, I expect an update from engineering and service shortly for the resolution on this issue. We have completed replication testing.

1/23/12 Update -

Body:

A customer care representative or technician will take your information, confirm the status of the serial number on our server, ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If this fix does not work they will walk you through the next series of steps to correct it.

1/25/12 Update -
    One option to fix this problem is to complete a manual update process, set the unit power mode to balanced performance and screen brightness manually to 50%, and then manually update to the latest ICS build using these instructions - http://service.asus.com/TF201_fwupdate. You will need a fully charged battery and have the system plugged into AC power. After the update is completed, please ensure there is a WiFi connection available and let the system idle with an active WiFi connection (ensure the system does not go to sleep) for 15~20 minutes and then reboot. If the serial number is not available after this process, please follow these instructions:

Body:
    Process Already Completed - Manual Firmware Update to latest ICS ROM Image

A customer care representative or technician will confirm the status of the serial number on our server, contact you and might ask you to walk through a short procedure to correct the problem. If the serial number is not located, the unit will need to be returned for a replacement procedure.

2/12/2012 Update -
    If North American users are still experiencing the Serial Number Not Found Problem after completing a manual update to ICS, then please send your contact information and serial number to tablet@asus.com. If you do not hear back from Service within 48 hours, please PM me directly.

3/6/2012 Update:
    I am back and will start answering messages.

Note - For those users who provided this information already based on direct contact from us, you will be notified shortly. For those users who provided their serial numbers but were not contacted by us for further testing you will need to either send the email above or call the hotline. We sincerely apologize about this inconvenience but your TF201 will be fixed shortly.
    we now have a fix for this :)

https://twitter.com/#!/BumbleDroid/status/164456392974012417

http://androidroot.mobi/2012/01/31/introducing-ratchet-the-unknown-serial-fix/

p.s.

any donations should go to the androidroot.mobi team (donate link on the blog post)
    Gary Is it a software problem or a hardware problem?

At this point, thanks to the users who reported their serial numbers we think it is probably a software fix as those serial numbers are being seen on our server side and available for a OTA update. Either way, we will take care of those users with this problem. I will be contacting these users shortly for additional information to confirm our findings and solution.
    For all of you watching this thread I thought I'd let you know that it looks like the ICS update has been posted to the ASUS site for download. I'm going to go ahead and give it a go. I'll post back with results to see if the unknown serial number stops the manual update for ICS. I had good luck with the 8.8.3.33 update so I don't see why this one won't work. Don't get me wrong, I want the OTA problem solved but I'll take the manual update for now if I can get it.
    That's not for an uber-newb as there seems to be a lot of pre-steps and things to download, e.g., and which appear to need other things loaded first.

I'm asking for a walk through for a literal no nothing whose first experience of android is the ATP--there's a lot of us on this site.

But if this kind of thing is beyond us--well, thanks for your efforts, but we'll have to wait.

1. If you have a windows pc, download the USB drivers from HERE (choose Android as OS) and install them
    2. Get adb from here: Windows* or Linux
    3. Activate USB debugging mode on your prime (Settings -> Developer options) and connect your Prime to the pc
    4. open a terminal window on your pc
    5. in that terminal window, browse to the directory where you have downloaded adb to (the Ratchet archive should be extracted to the same directory) and execute the following commands:
    6. adb push mempodroid /data/local/ (on linux: ./adb ....)
    7. adb push ratchet /data/local/
    8. adb shell (You’ll now see a shell@android:/ $ prompt)
    9. chmod 755 /data/local/mempodroid /data/local/ratchet
    10. /data/local/mempodroid 0xd9ec 0xaf47 /data/local/ratchet
    11. This is where the magic happens. Make sure you enter your serial number correctly, all in caps!
    12. Reboot your device
    13. Done

* Download for windows version two post later

Points 6 to 13 are just copied from the android.mobi website so I don't take any responsibilities.