[TWEAK][GB] Faster Scrolling (Disable Scrolling Cache)

Search This thread

albee320

Oct 20, 2011
Los Angeles/San Diego
after noticing this mentioned in truckerglenn's port of f1, i did a little searching and found this great how-to thread (be sure to thank the OP!)...clearly written below the level of our beloved "devs" but along the lines of those, like me, who are new to the whole process and looking for a few guidelines while getting our hands dirty

i did both of these tweaks last night on ZEUS BUILD 3 FIXED (and updated), and as they mention in the original thread, increasing the sound increment works visually but audio levels become distorted above 15 (thanks samsung!)...maybe someone knows how to figure this one out

the scrolling tweak seems to work well (or i'm a sucker for placebos).....i've noticed that i can get to the bottom of very long lists and pages in fewer swipes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1411317

for those that dont care to do it themselves but would love to give feedback...i've included my modded framework.jar from ZEUS BUILD 3 FIXED (and updated) to include the scrolling mod...if you're on that rom, just use root explorer like you should know how by now, and drop this baby in /system/framework

Reboot should take a little....dont panic!

and for those on ZEUS BUILD 3 FIXED (and updated) who just aren't sure...i've also included a cwm flashable zip with the stock framework

so now...whadya got to lose? o_0

hope it works!

EDIT: according to Dani, this should work on any att based GB ROM....so thanks for the tip!

Attachments

• framework.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 313
  • framework.jar
    3.5 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
the audio can be tough to find the best drive without clipping.

the distortion can come from many things but if it's clipping it can be damaging to the speaker or hardware. basically analogue audio should change voltage in smooth sinodal(sp?) patterns. if you exceed the input voltage on an amp it can't reproduce the wave and you get a partial sinodus with a flat (dc) area that creates heat in the speaker and extra current draw. it can also damage the input stage of the hardware. things are a little different on digital but you will still get nasty harmonics that can damage stuff. also too much gain can mean that the output stage reaches the source voltage before the top of the wave. the problem is getting the most out of the hardware and figuring which level is causeing the clipping.. there will be an ideal gain for each stage and the content will vary in volume.. its a big balancing act and manufacturers tend to leave a good amount of extra potential to avoid clipping at any stage. some extra may be added in the framework some in the kernel drivers but it either takes critical listening and trial and error or some edjucated guessing.

I don't know anything about drivers or kernels so I'm not that Guy but maybe if I try the framework mod I could find a compromise but I never really find that kind of time lately.

Reactions: albee320

albee320

Oct 20, 2011
Los Angeles/San Diego

the distortion can come from many things but if it's clipping it can be damaging to the speaker or hardware. basically analogue audio should change voltage in smooth sinodal(sp?) patterns. if you exceed the input voltage on an amp it can't reproduce the wave and you get a partial sinodus with a flat (dc) area that creates heat in the speaker and extra current draw. it can also damage the input stage of the hardware. things are a little different on digital but you will still get nasty harmonics that can damage stuff. also too much gain can mean that the output stage reaches the source voltage before the top of the wave. the problem is getting the most out of the hardware and figuring which level is causeing the clipping.. there will be an ideal gain for each stage and the content will vary in volume.. its a big balancing act and manufacturers tend to leave a good amount of extra potential to avoid clipping at any stage. some extra may be added in the framework some in the kernel drivers but it either takes critical listening and trial and error or some edjucated guessing.

I don't know anything about drivers or kernels so I'm not that Guy but maybe if I try the framework mod I could find a compromise but I never really find that kind of time lately.

Thanks Dani for the input...just to clarify, by distortion I mean the audio maxs out at level 15, if you adjust higher than that, it seems as if audio drops to a lower level and increases to max again as you increase...say you made it so there were 30 increments as opposed to 15...its like this:

1min............15max 16min..............30max

I hope that makes sense...the OP concluded that it wasnt compatible w Samsung but im hoping someone w more pointed knowledge could work it....that would def be a plus in future roms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BelJanss

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks Dani for the input...just to clarify, by distortion I mean the audio maxs out at level 15, if you adjust higher than that, it seems as if audio drops to a lower level and increases to max again as you increase...say you made it so there were 30 increments as opposed to 15...its like this:

I hope that makes sense...the OP concluded that it wasnt compatible w Samsung but im hoping someone w more pointed knowledge could work it....that would def be a plus in future roms

ohh, I get it.

ill read the tutorial and see if I notice an obvious problem... but I don't really know Java, just hoping something jumps out as not right.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

nah this ones gonna need some research. there may be some other file that maps the levels and that might need some Modding.

Catchpen

Dec 28, 2011
www.supplementdeals.net
Cool! Yeah the bullet about smooth scrolling on truckerglenn's F1 port thread really caught my eye too. That's the only thing I miss from the iPhone is the smooth scrolling.

T

tmease1

Has anyone tried this on any KL2 rom or will it just work on zeus?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using xda premium

crash822

Sep 11, 2011
Follow the original link for instructions on how to do it on the other roms for the infuse. The posted links are for the zeus rom from dman, while the files posted may work on roms other than zeus I'd highly advise not using them. Follow the link in the first post to get the smooth scroll into whatever rom you're currently using.

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
Follow the original link for instructions on how to do it on the other roms for the infuse. The posted links are for the zeus rom from dman, while the files posted may work on roms other than zeus I'd highly advise not using them. Follow the link in the first post to get the smooth scroll into whatever rom you're currently using.

I highly advise not being such a wuss. jk but seriously there is little chance of harm using it in a different att based gb rom. I just installed it on bionix and no problems.

T

tmease1

I went ahead and tried it on the stock KL2 rom and it works just fine. Thanks guys.

aburyan1

Jun 9, 2009
I tried the the hack in infuse 4g from rogers but I stuck in boot loop

Last edited:

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
RUXKG3....stock Rogers 2.3.3 rooted

You tried doing the hack like decompiling editing and compiling? maybe the wrong text editor.. text editors and source code are weird. try notepad++ or vi on linux

or you tried the att file stock Rogers rom? our framework is different so it wont work like that. the file posted is for att gingerbread.

Reactions: albee320

trdsnow

Jan 11, 2011
Flashed this on Zeus 5. Can't really tell if it made anything smoother but at least I didn't bootloop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    after noticing this mentioned in truckerglenn's port of f1, i did a little searching and found this great how-to thread (be sure to thank the OP!)...clearly written below the level of our beloved "devs" but along the lines of those, like me, who are new to the whole process and looking for a few guidelines while getting our hands dirty

i did both of these tweaks last night on ZEUS BUILD 3 FIXED (and updated), and as they mention in the original thread, increasing the sound increment works visually but audio levels become distorted above 15 (thanks samsung!)...maybe someone knows how to figure this one out

the scrolling tweak seems to work well (or i'm a sucker for placebos).....i've noticed that i can get to the bottom of very long lists and pages in fewer swipes

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1411317

for those that dont care to do it themselves but would love to give feedback...i've included my modded framework.jar from ZEUS BUILD 3 FIXED (and updated) to include the scrolling mod...if you're on that rom, just use root explorer like you should know how by now, and drop this baby in /system/framework

Reboot should take a little....dont panic!

and for those on ZEUS BUILD 3 FIXED (and updated) who just aren't sure...i've also included a cwm flashable zip with the stock framework

so now...whadya got to lose? o_0

hope it works!

EDIT: according to Dani, this should work on any att based GB ROM....so thanks for the tip!
    Nice

RUXKG3....stock Rogers 2.3.3 rooted

You tried doing the hack like decompiling editing and compiling? maybe the wrong text editor.. text editors and source code are weird. try notepad++ or vi on linux

or you tried the att file stock Rogers rom? our framework is different so it wont work like that. the file posted is for att gingerbread.