Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 53,481 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

Tip us?

lilstevie
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,030

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaola View Post
Hi, i am creating a custom debian image, in order to use your OLIFE script to install it.

I have a couple of doubts.

I have some issues with debootstrap in debian wheezy/unstable/experimental. Nothing i couldn't fix, I also have a sheeva plug (arm architecture) with debian installed.

Anyway, i am writting too much. Let's cut the cheese:

First question:
all /dev/* devices already created in your ubuntu.img... are they especially created for the transformer? does not the kernel create them the first time you boot? did you use mknod to make them?

Second question:
I've seen the fstab in your ubuntu.img. How did you create it? I mean... how do you know de UUID of the disk even before "format/repartition" it? ┐could i use the same one?

Third question:
You haven't create any user in your installation, is it really necesary to be root to use ubuntu? I think that's a security issue,

Last question:
My transformer is very new (christmas present), and its b70, but sbkdetect sais it's sbk1 so i guess there is no much risk (i now there is allways a risk) because a could use nvflash to restore it. couldn't i?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions, but i didn't find enough information en both threats or in the wiki.

cheers
1) /dev is kernel maintained not files in the system.

2) I know the UUID because I got it with blkid.

3) Your user is created on the first boot with oem-config.

4) there is no chance of bricking if you do have an sbkv2 device because quite simply you need nvflash to install, not having nvflash access means no chance of bricking.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilstevie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaola
Old
(Last edited by shaola; 16th January 2012 at 12:08 PM.) Reason: found a response
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
1) /dev is kernel maintained not files in the system.

2) I know the UUID because I got it with blkid.

3) Your user is created on the first boot with oem-config.

4) there is no chance of bricking if you do have an sbkv2 device because quite simply you need nvflash to install, not having nvflash access means no chance of bricking.

1) that's why i get kind of surprise when i mounted ubuntu.img and found files in /dev, i guess you backed up that img

2) right, i know that, but again, you got it after or before install ubuntu? If i make bigger or smaller image and partition i guess i'll have to change it.

3) is this make by script of yours? or is this ubuntu feature? i haven't use ubuntu in so much time so i don't know. I am a (not official) debian mantainer and this is the first time i've hearded about oem-config, maybe i am missing something.
EDITED: nevermid, i found oem-config package in ubuntu, doesn't exits in debian, i'll see if i cand rebuild it for this purpose in orde to other people can use debian image.

4) sbkdeteck sais my device is sbk1 but i had to use a livecd to check it because y got segfault in my debian instalation, i think it's because a diferent version of
libthread.so

Thanks again.

lilstevie
Old
Thanks Meter 1,030

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
1) that's why i get kind of surprise when i mounted ubuntu.img and found files in /dev, i guess you backed up that img

2) right, i know that, but again, you got it after or before install ubuntu? If i make bigger or smaller image and partition i guess i'll have to change it.

3) is this make by script of yours? or is this ubuntu feature? i haven't use ubuntu in so much time so i don't know. I am a (not official) debian mantainer and this is the first time i've hearded about oem-config, maybe i am missing something.

4) sbkdeteck sais my device is sbk1 but i had to use a livecd to check it because y got segfault in my debian instalation, i think it's because a diferent version of libthread.so

Thanks again.
1) No, I did not "backup" that image, it is a modified live image from OMAP.
2) No, the UUID is generated with the filesystem.
3) oem-config is based off ubiquity, and it an ubuntu feature.
4) if it said sbkv1 then it will be
The Following User Says Thank You to lilstevie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaola
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
1) No, I did not "backup" that image, it is a modified live image from OMAP.
2) No, the UUID is generated with the filesystem.
3) oem-config is based off ubiquity, and it an ubuntu feature.
4) if it said sbkv1 then it will be
well, this is going to be harder than i thougth, anyway i am going to give it a try. Thanks for your help again.

braernoch
Old
(Last edited by braernoch; 18th January 2012 at 01:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Default Kernel Source - SoC Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnetto View Post
I'm running into an odd error when compiling the kernel. The weird part is that it only happens on one PC - on the other everything works fine. I'm using gcc 4:4.6.1-2ubuntu5 and dtc 1.3. Any ideas?
My most promising lead is one you're much better suited to try. I'm a coder, and I lack y'all's understanding of the architecture just yet. Perhaps we keep audio support included in the kernel and just modify the .c and .h files it uses to build its drivers from the get-go. I'm looking in particular at

1) "linux_kernel_TF101/sound/soc/tegra/tegra_soc_wm8903.c"
2) "linux_kernel_TF101/sound/soc/codecs/wm8903.h"

Theoretically, you can tweak the codec registers and define how the driver interacts with the card before compiling. Hopefully you can do something with that. I'll keep looking.

(Aside)
Have you tried adjusting sound card configuration through "/var/lib/alsa/asound.state"? Run "alsactl --help" to see that that's the default config file, adjust it, then run "alsactl restore 0" to load changes. I've had no luck there.

I thought "alsa-info.sh" from alsa-project.org might be helpful, but it looks for most of its info in lspci which is not supported on ARM devices. The closest tool I found was "lshw", but that doesn't really help.

v0id_walker
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default More questions

How is the speed of the device with ubuntu running on top of it? Is it comparable with Atom netbooks?

Will the update to ICS make it impossible to root the device?

As always, thank you for the answers.

conizius
Old
Thanks Meter 12
I got some problems updating my android kernel.
I'm using a dualboot setup with ubuntu as recovery.
What I'm trying to do is flashing the oc kernel from roach (Prime 2.0.6).
I tried extracting the blob from the provided zip, renaming it and placing it into images/.
Then running OLiFE -> Update -> Android Kernel -> Turn on Device
Flashing finished, but afterwards neither system is booting.
Thought I could copy the missing kernel modules from Ubuntu or maybe even from Android, but there is no way.
Android is looping at the EeePad screen and Ubuntu reboots with a kernel panic.
When I turn around and flash the original boot.img everything is back to normal, Android as well as Ubuntu boots as if nothing has ever happened.

Is there any step I'm missing? Or am I just to tired to see the obvious mistake? Does I have to tell anything the size of the new kernel (it's a few bytes different).
Thanks for help
Btw. in frustration also tried with the kernel from Revolver Rom with the same result...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id_walker View Post
How is the speed of the device with ubuntu running on top of it? Is it comparable with Atom netbooks?

Will the update to ICS make it impossible to root the device?

As always, thank you for the answers.
Well the speed is comparable in my opinion, but keep in mind that you have pretty limited ram And you have an arm-architecture, so binary releases will never work for you unless they are released for arm. Beside that it's great! And we all love lilstevie for that!

For ICS you could just wait for a Prime release with ICS. And if you have a skb1 device nobody can lock you out... maybe you just have to get down to honeycomb until a rooted rom is released (and pre alpha builds are already floating around).

shaola
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by braernoch View Post
Because built-in kernel drivers aren't apparent as modules and therefore can't be toyed with, I thought I'd rebuild the kernel with all audio support modularized. The kernel compiles, but the modules simply won't. Suddenly, they think all of their variables are undefined. Does anyone know why?
if you are talking about tipical unknown symbol (see dmesg) when you try to load de module with modprobe try to execute depmod -a as root or with sudo.

This will generate /lib/modules/modules.* files needed to be able to load that modules.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 AM ----------

Quote:
if you are talking about tipical unknown symbol (see dmesg) when you try to load de module with modprobe try to execute depmod -a as root or with sudo.

This will generate /lib/modules/modules.* files needed to be able to load that modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id_walker View Post
I've been making my own tests with a custom debian image with lxde and it's fast as hell, much faster than ubuntu with gnome (obviusly) but it's still pretty unsable because i haven't been able yet to make work wifi or other important drivers, but i guess if you customize that image with another lighter enviroment it will be quite fast.

lilstevie
Old
Thanks Meter 1,030

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by conizius View Post
I got some problems updating my android kernel.
I'm using a dualboot setup with ubuntu as recovery.
What I'm trying to do is flashing the oc kernel from roach (Prime 2.0.6).
I tried extracting the blob from the provided zip, renaming it and placing it into images/.
Then running OLiFE -> Update -> Android Kernel -> Turn on Device
Flashing finished, but afterwards neither system is booting.
Thought I could copy the missing kernel modules from Ubuntu or maybe even from Android, but there is no way.
Android is looping at the EeePad screen and Ubuntu reboots with a kernel panic.
When I turn around and flash the original boot.img everything is back to normal, Android as well as Ubuntu boots as if nothing has ever happened.

Is there any step I'm missing? Or am I just to tired to see the obvious mistake? Does I have to tell anything the size of the new kernel (it's a few bytes different).
Thanks for help
Btw. in frustration also tried with the kernel from Revolver Rom with the same result...

Well the speed is comparable in my opinion, but keep in mind that you have pretty limited ram And you have an arm-architecture, so binary releases will never work for you unless they are released for arm. Beside that it's great! And we all love lilstevie for that!

For ICS you could just wait for a Prime release with ICS. And if you have a skb1 device nobody can lock you out... maybe you just have to get down to honeycomb until a rooted rom is released (and pre alpha builds are already floating around).
you cant just flash an nvblob, that is its own format and needs to be unpacked first

braernoch
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

At first, "make modules" from the kernel source wouldn't even compile the modules. I think I just needed a good "make mrproper". Now that I have my modules, yes, I'm getting that error, but I already tried depmod as root. I get:

Code:
root@braer-tf101:/# depmod -a
WARNING: Loop detected: /lib/modules/2.6.36.4-1210+/kernel/sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-wm8903.ko needs headset.ko which needs snd-soc-wm8903.ko again!
WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.36.4-1210+/kernel/sound/soc/codecs/snd-soc-wm8903.ko ignored, due to loop
WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.36.4-1210+/kernel/sound/soc/tegra/tegra_soc_controls.ko ignored, due to loop
WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.36.4-1210+/kernel/sound/soc/tegra/tegra_soc_wm8903.ko ignored, due to loop
WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.36.4-1210+/kernel/sound/soc/tegra/headset.ko ignored, due to loop
Trying to see if I can edit manually. Grr...