[ROM] Acer_A500 OTA 7.014.14 [HC 3.2.1] Rooted w/ Busybox for CWM [Jan 6th, 2012] EOL

Search This thread

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Try this patch I made with help from ezterry for the wifi dhcp lease problems , before you flash do a full nandroid backup , flash with cwm. It's build in all my roms and no one complained any more about wifi dropouts.
http://dev-host.org/cdfg599d3bwe/WIFI-FLEXTHUNDER-OPTIMA.zip

Um, don't use that:

1) the framework patch is already in this rom and I've tested unlimited dhcp leases
2) The framework changed with the update from 3.2 to 3.2.1 thus I needed to re-apply it and fix the odex since this is still using the original odexes for the rest of the image

User may need to delete the dhcp state file but that is another matter.. I still can't support someone with a kernel I won't install.

Nucleotide

May 31, 2011
Has anyone had issues with this ROM and the screen turning itself on automatically and remaining on until the battery is completely flat?

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Has anyone had issues with this ROM and the screen turning itself on automatically and remaining on until the battery is completely flat?

I have never seen my tablets screen turn on randomly since I purchased it.

If you are seeing this on any stock or near stock rom with a stock kernel however don't expect this rom to magically solve it however. It is either your hardware or some specific application you installed keeping the tab awake..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Ponte Vedra, FL

Never had it occur with this ROM, but I have seen the power button glowing white when it's not even plugged in/charging.

If you're running a stock kernel, then like ezterry said I suspect it's an app. Fyi, a couple of different popular 3rd party weather widgets can supposedly cause this problem. I've never had this happen with Beautiful Widgets and HD Widgets, but I've seen others claim it does. I would try running it without widgets for a while, and if it still happens you're going to have to start more difficult troubleshooting of each app you have installed. Running Alogcat and seeing what shows up wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

schlemil

Nov 20, 2008

I see this behavior since I have my tab. I have flashed it with different roms and kernels in the meantime. Therefore I agree that it is caused by an app. But my tab turns the screen off after some minutes.

With the old version 2 of the rom and the Villain Iconia kernel I noticed many reboots of the tab in stand-by. I noticed this behavior only once since I have the new version of the rom and standard kernel flashed.

jm77

Sep 24, 2008
Seeing tons of FC on gapps. Replaced the Gmail apk with the one from ICS and I stopped seeing FCs for a short while, but they're back.

Tried wiping dalvik and fixing permissions through recovery, but no go.

Anyone else having this issue?

schlemil

Nov 20, 2008
A short question.
Does the kernel support Cifs?
I have problems to mount a network share with the CifsManager.
A prerequisite is that the kernel support cifs.
Thanks!

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
A short question.
Does the kernel support Cifs?
I have problems to mount a network share with the CifsManager.
A prerequisite is that the kernel support cifs.
Thanks!

Its the stock kernel cifs is not built in..

Of course you can download the module in the 2nd post, remount system and place it in /system/modules/cifs.ko and it ought to work at least it your application has an option to load a module and/or you make an init script for it.

Its not that bad to set up.. but personally I just use es file explorer that just used user space libraries to upload/download files rather than mounting the network drive.. good if you are only using cifs to exchange files and not to exist locally for multiple applications. (Since no module or kernel changes are needed)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: schlemil

sxm2

Jun 13, 2010
When I get the verified official update from HC-7.014.14 to ICS I will look at it and decide how I want to update my own tablet.. will let you know then (if its just an update to this rom or a seperate rom)

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I would like to upgrade to ICS instead of formatting and losing all my game progress.

I'm currently on 7.014.02_COM_GEN2. Would I need to update to .14 first in order to use any updates to ICS?

Thanks

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I would like to upgrade to ICS instead of formatting and losing all my game progress.

I'm currently on 7.014.02_COM_GEN2. Would I need to update to .14 first in order to use any updates to ICS?

Thanks

This rom the thread is talking about it a particular rooted rom based off of 7.014.14_GEN1 .. I will attempt to make sure my ICS rom thus is based off the image sent to people with this version.

7.014.02_GEN2 is distributed by ACER in a diffrent region, its up to date, just a slightly diffrent distribution (almost all the roms are nearly identical so hard to say what the diffrences are, perhapse just some localization cleanups)

Actually I did see the update file to 7.014.14 and 7.014.02 floating around the various acer forms, if you are not rooted they can be manually downloaded and flashed.

-------------------------------------
All:

Regarding the update to this rom, I'm unsure when I'll be ready (still havnt recived an actual push from acer and forgot where I found the link mentioned above). That said it ought to be noted its linkly my ICS rom will require the new unlocked bootloader to install, thus if you are hoping to avoid the new bootloader you may wish to look at Flexreaper.

Obviously if you don't want to wait for me, you are welcome to try someone elses work, I will however eventually make an ICS update since that will be the version I'll be running. Also hope once I start working on it to look into making the current (v4) version of this rom bootable on the new bootloader.. I'm unsure how well that will work (its unlikely I will spend too much time since its unlikely once I'm ready to upgrade that I'll ever look back at HC, but if its fairly trivial I'll work on it.)

Reactions: -vpa and JdgM3NT4L

ezterry

Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
Just a quick note, in my experiments with the patched v3 ICS bootloader, I've noticed this rom works with the Stock Kernel on the new bootloader without and modifications.

Thus if you do upgrade your bootloader and install ICS and wish to return to this rom, all you need do is either restore your backup (excluding recovery if it was included) *OR* reinstall with the update.zip as usual.

Update

The ICS update (for no wipe from this rom) is here
While no wipe is required, this does require the new unlocked bootloader. thus make sure you have some time allocated to read up on the bootloader and install the rom. (if you have not already used nvflash tools anyway)

(note if you do need to return to this rom it can be also installed with the new bootloader so you do not need to re-install the HC bootloader to run backups of this rom)

Last edited:
Reactions: -vpa and JdgM3NT4L

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROM: (HonnyComb)
    Here is an ACER 3.2.1 near stock android image installable via clockwork recovery.
    (Tested on a Wifi only acer a500)

[size=+2]acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4_S.zip[/size]
    (MD5: cfd6ecee33891cc8e6e2625e8ea89511)

Note: April 30, 2012: The stock kernel will work both on HoneyComb and unlocked (v3) ICS bootloaders
    Note: May 18, 2012: The update, no wipe required, to this ICS rom is now posted here this thread will remain for anyone remaining on HC

Simply install via clockwork or RA recovery; if you have a rooted and mostly unmodified version of HC 3.1/3.2 currently it may be possible to use this install without a wipe (4.010.41 users are likely to have the best results); However make sure you backup first just in case.

Users of the previous (acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2) version may safely upgrade without a wipe however the following is recommended: 1) wipe dalvik cache in the advance menu of CWM recovery, 2) you may need to the apps menu to get the new market icon (my previous homescreen shortcut was no longer valid but the one in the app list worked without a problem, as making a new shortcut)

Last if you notice slowdowns or forcequits withing 24/48h of upgrading before reporting them try going into recovery and running both "fix permissions" and "clear dalvik cache" then boot the tablet waiting for the logon screen to appear and the screen to dim and turn off before using the tablet. At this point you van use the tablet normally.

This file is based off the OTA update: Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1_1315966386585_07733ac7.zip subequently updated to 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 by manually extracted these images
    (As was sent via OTA here in canada)

Modification Log:
    I've made the following changes to the original OTA files:
    • decrypted and configured for installation from clockwork recovery
    • remove the bootloader flash (Separate analysis will be required to tell if this is safe) If so it is still not useful in a rooted Clockwork rom install, since in future it may become a downgrade not an update.
    • remove recovery flasher
    • remove both OTA cert and original ca_certs in favor of the cacert by guardianproject
    • Add a version of busybox (built in my HTC Dream rom ezGingerbread build tree using target utility_busybox from the commit https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_external_busybox/tree/995d0d35bde285)
    • make busybox the default shell
    • Include Superuser/su
    • configure runparts (runs scripts in /system/etc/init.d) only a "Welcome" script is included however if you wish to run any script on startup you can do so by adding them to your /system/etc/init.d directory)
    • Note this rom is still odexed
    • (v2) fix she-bang on am, bmgr, ime, input, monkey, pm, svc shell scripts
    • (v3) incorporate "Skype Fix" into rom, thus no need to flash a second file to fix skype video calls (obviously you still need to install skype from market)
    • (v3) incorporate "wifi fix" for infinate DHCP leases, unfortinatly this was still not working in the base rom, however the fix is now part of this install.
    • (v3) uninstall Future Dial (acer updater) this prevents the system update from appearing in the menu/background, as it won't work anyway with the modificaitons
    • (v3) rebased to Acer A500 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 (previously 7.006.01_COM_GEN1)
    • (v3) SuperUser updated to v3.0.7
    • (v3) Set wifi only by default (if you need otherwise you will need to comment out the last line of the build.prop file, information in the comment above said line)
    • (v4) Remove extra market related files (merge errors from the acer patches); this ensures the new version of market runs properly (thanks to civato for pointing this out)

* entries starting with (vN) - indicates fixed/added in version N, ie (v2) indicates fixed in version 2 and on

Additional Information:

This is a very simple set of changes that ought to allow rooted users looking for a basic version of Honeycomb 3.2 (and now 3.2.1) safely update without loosing root. Its intended for users that wish a minimally modified rom with root. Either to be used as a rooted stock rom as is; or to be a base to make other small modifications as needed.

As such I'm more likely to provide addons than changing the base rom its self. (excluding any bugs of my creation or new official releases form ACER)

Note the kernel is the stock kernel from acer. Acer's A500 kernel source code can be found at here

FYI: You may use this as a base for other roms as long as credit is given with a link back to this thread where reasonable.
    Netflix

Notice: the current market version of Netflix works on the a500 without modification
    As such there is no longer a need to install the below modified application, If you already have it installed please ensure you uninstall it prior to installing the market version.

(Anyeay the market version fixes some aspect ratio bugs)

------------

So I've been noting two hacks for netflix;

1) replace libnvomx.so with the one from an asus device; but this breaks the rear camera.
    2) update build.prop to force netflix to think we have a different device

But I was finding it hard to find some additional details (at least when I had time to poke at it) until this post came before me:
    This worked for me with rooted 3.2

Originally Posted by originalone

with version 1.4, you can actually get around the library patch, and just change the build.prop adding these lines to the bottom of the file.

ro.product.model=GT-P7510 ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

and it works great. no camera issue at all.

So using apktool I decompiled it, then edited:
    smali/com/netflix/mediaclient/media/PlayerTypeFactory.smali
    replacing all instances of "GT-P7510" to "A500", and from "samsung" to "Acer"
    used apktool to rebuild and jarsigner to re-sign:

[size=+1]Netflix+v1.4.1.apk - A500 hack[/size]
    md5: 8c5ad0b709c93e2ddef39daba366e663

* If you already have Netflix installed; uninstall it; and restore either the unmodified build.prop or original libnvomx.so. (This new apk is intended for the base rom)

* Then install this new apk (either with a file manager and allow applications form non-market sources) or with 'adb install "Netflix+v1.4.1.apk" ' from your computer.

* After this both netflix and video recording ought to work.

(Note you must still have a netflix subscription for this to work)
    Add Ons

~~-- Stock Kernel Modules --~~

Here are some kernel modules for the stock acer kernel
    (Tested both on acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S, and acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3/acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4)

tun.ko
    md5: bf93f2538c875f0f397f43f225bd595b
    cifs.ko
    md5: 86b936fb269daa1f688f3f8535c36c23

Since I'm having problems with a corrupt tar.gz file with the latest posted [by acer0] a500 kernel code; these have been built from the a501 version with a a500 config. (the "Application Guide (for Android 3.2 HoneyComb" posted on 9/19) Hopefully this will not be an issue but let me know if you have any issues with the modules (I've checked they load but not that they are fully functional)

~~-- Villain Iconia Kernel --~~

(Tested both on acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S, and acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3/acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv4)

Here is a re-bundle of the Villain Iconia kernel (original zImage form richardtrip) The installer however has been modified since we now need a new ramdisk image than the one previously bundled with the kernel.

V3.7
    acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BB_Villain_iconia_kernel_3.7_S.zip
    md5: 57908bd9d8fda3902cc24ebb23de9e6c

Previous verison:
    acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BB_Villain_iconia_kernel_3.4_S.zip (md5: 8c6c0783a961d65d465a3f3dccffbfb3)

For more information including source code see Villain_iconia_kernel_3.4.zip from Stock/HV/Taboonay V3.4 for HC 3.2 10-09 - 1.64Ghz/UV control

(This will let you overclock and access some more modules, but I've found the stock kernel overall more stable)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Size=+1] The following is only for the previous acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S version:[/Size]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~~-- Wifi Dropouts Patch --~~

If you are having issues with your wifi connections it is recommended to check your router doesn’t have indefinite DHCP leases
    However if you can't prevent the indefinite lease a patch for such dhcp connectivity problems is available:

wifipatch_7.006.01v2_S.zip
    MD5: 39c0a1cdd755458eb6edd6aa786e4f5f

Additional details here
    (Note this have been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed)

~~-- Skype(tm) Patch --~~

Fixes video calls on market skype client

skypepatch_7.006.01v2_S.zip
    MD5: 99cadf8c5b8eca25aa60b38aa83ec91a

Flash from recovery; and install skype form market as usual (or open it if already installed) video options will appear in settings.
    Details of the problem/solution and the patch are in this post

(Note this has been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed on that version)

~~-- Netflix --~~

Install from market:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result

If you previously installed a modified version such as the one modified to play on the a500 without breaking video you will need to uninstall the modified version prior to installing the market version.

~~-- Cell Standby fix/option --~~

If you are seeing Cell standby in your battery use simply add ro.carrier=wifi-only to your build.prop

Via adb:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    echo 'ro.carrier=wifi-only' >> /system/build.prop
    sync
    reboot

Via terminal/local connectbot
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    echo 'ro.carrier=wifi-only' >> /system/build.prop
    sync
    reboot

(Note this has been built in on V3 and thus is no longer needed on that version)

~~-- SuperUser 3.0 update --~~

We need to flash the rom manager update, but as rom manager is not yet working on this tab get the update zip and flash in recovery:
    su-3.0-efgh-signed.zip
    Md5: c05902fdf90f7635c711e4dcd1c32c45

~~-- Previous Versions --~~

[size=+1]v1: acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv1_S.zip[/size]
    (MD5: df11f6a309f34ac4c0209aded4ca3f20)

This version had an error in the she-bang of the included scripts such as pm, v2 corrected this to the expected '#!/system/bin/sh'

To save bandwidth I'm not providing the original file; however you can re-generate it with the following binary diff:

On a linux computer with the bsdiff package installed run:
    Code:
    bspatch acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv1_S.zip acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_to_v1.bsdiff
    Using the v2 version and acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_to_v1.bsdiff

[size=+1]v2: acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2_S.zip[/size]
    MD5: b254140896742f3deec464c094fb2515

Longtime running version very stable, however some users have had some minor issues correctable by the above patches.

[size=+1]v3: acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3_S.zip
    [/size]
    MD5: c734317089d323dffde9c7d4fe7afce4

Inital upgrade to 7.014.14 had some issues with extra market related files, if you are running this version it is recommended to upgrade to V4 or (if you wish to avoid the download and the cost to me of the bandwidth) follow the instructions here to manually make the same change yourself.
    The new Acer Update

Acer release 3.2.1 and thus I'm also providing an updated version of this rom;

This rolls the patches for the new firmware version; as well as some other changes to make installing easier for users of this rom:

[size=+2]acer7.014.14_CUST_ROOT_BBv3_S.zip[/size]
    (MD5: c734317089d323dffde9c7d4fe7afce4)

Users of the previous (acer7.006.01_CUST_ROOT_BBv2) version may safely upgrade without a wipe however the following is recommended: 1) wipe dalvik cache in the advance menu of CWM recovery, 2) you may need to the apps menu to get the new market icon (my previous homescreen shortcut was no longer valid but the one in the app list worked without a problem, as making a new shortcut)

This file is based off the OTA update: Acer_A500_4.010.41_7.006.01_COM_GEN1_1315966386585_07733ac7.zip subequently updated to 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 by manually extracted these images
    (As was sent via OTA here in canada)

Also the update includes the following changes:
    • (v3) incorporate "Skype Fix" into rom, thus no need to flash a second file to fix skype video calls (obviously you still need to install skype from market)
    • (v3) incorporate "wifi fix" for infinate DHCP leases, unfortinatly this was still not working in the base rom, however the fix is now part of this install.
    • (v3) uninstall Future Dial (acer updater) this prevents the system update from appearing in the menu/background, as it won't work anyway with the modificaitons
    • (v3) rebased to Acer A500 7.014.14_COM_GEN1 (previously 7.006.01_COM_GEN1)
    • (v3) SuperUser updated to v3.0.7
    • (v3) Set wifi only by default (if you need otherwise you will need to comment out the last line of the build.prop file, information in the comment above said line)

Overall still looking at it myself; most of the addons are not valid (because they are included) for this version; however you may still use the kernel modules, or the Villain iconia kernel 3.7 from the previous release if they are required/desired. I have noticed the browser seems a bit more stable.
    Ok after poking it on my tab for about 15min I see the problem (as posted on g+):
    https://plus.google.com/105725823359318666169/posts/36AhLKzDjn9

I'll add an update.zip to second post to both add the certs I've posted earlier today and the symlink requires to fix video chat. The option appeared for me without issue as soon as the symlink for cat was in place.

To manually add it (to avoid the update or wait):

Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell ln -s ../xbin/busybox /system/bin/cat
    adb sync
    adb reboot

Edit:
    Update zip in 2nd post:
    ~~-- Skype(tm) Patch --~~

Fixes video calls on market skype client

skypepatch_7.006.01v2_S.zip
    MD5: 99cadf8c5b8eca25aa60b38aa83ec91a

Flash from recovery; and install skype form market as usual (or open it if already installed) video options will appear in settings.