Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Connect ALL THE THINGS with Xender

Smartphones, with all of their all connectivity options courtesy of OEMs, can easily connect themselves … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Would you support Chroid (android within a card)?
Yes -but it must be Free 55 25.35%
Yes - happy to pay a reasonable amount for the app 99 45.62%
No... just use WebOS or Android native 63 29.03%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Poll : Do you want to run Android *within* WebOS as a card?

OP asantaga

11th January 2012, 05:09 PM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
Thumbs up
It's a great idea. It should be posted in other forums to spread the word.
11th January 2012, 06:23 PM   |  #32  
Madison, AL

56 posts
More
Id love to have the ability to run Android applications within WebOS, would be more than willing to chip in for the development of such.
11th January 2012, 07:39 PM   |  #33  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

130 posts
ok, well the verdict is out,.. its a much wanted project..

SOO... Next step how do we get a developer to help develop this??????
11th January 2012, 11:21 PM   |  #34  
Flag Fulton, MS
Thanks Meter: 67

265 posts
As for the above mentioned item that webOS is now open source, allow me to clairify that. While HP has agreed to open source the OS, there are still issues to be handled. Only part of webOS is open source, several of the drivers and subsystems are closed source and some type of licensing agreement will have to be developed. There has been no anouncement by HP, as of yet, as to when this will come about as there are several possible lincensing possibilities (GPL2, APACHE, ect..). Until this is agreed upon, and some closed source code can be replaced by open source equivilents, this will remain out of reach for us. The ENYO framework for webOS development has been placed out there as open source as it was developed by HP and Palm. We are still waiting for the remainder of the source code.

Hope this clairifies the issues involved.
Moshe

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Moshe5368 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th January 2012, 02:03 AM   |  #35  

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna59

Honestly my first intention for my touchpad was to root it with android. However, i find myself not even using android on it. I love the webOS interface soooooo much more than andorid, but I hate that it lack the apps. This is where my rooted nookCOLOR comes in. I can count the amount of time I have actually booted into android on the touchpad besides for setting it up to mirror my nookCOLOR settings.

I use Android mostly, because the apps I tend to use are either not available or tiny on the webOS. I have always been a fan of webOS though and would like to see a hybrid as much as anyone - if we could get android apps running in webOS cards I would pay $25-$50. I love the way the hacks work in webOS. Also it's virtually bloat-free.
14th January 2012, 05:51 PM   |  #36  
OP Senior Member

130 posts
a solution is out there..
It appears the openmobile solution , which was spoken about a long time ago is still alive and kicking..

http://news.mobileroundup.com/2012/0...n-waiting-for/

Apparently they demod webos running openmoble android emulation (chroot almost certainly) on a virtual box this week. strangely they claim they wont sell to users, but only to OEMs...
DUH??? there arent any oems of WEBOS yet,... well until the Opensource stuff really comes to fruition...

I think we should simply petition them to allow current WebOS devices purchase individual licences ...

also see https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=111&t=19512
18th January 2012, 11:13 PM   |  #37  
OP Senior Member

130 posts
yup OpenMobileWW leads the way!
guys,

looks like openmobile will be releasing the ACL layer for WebOS!!!

See http://openmobileww.com/news.php
and a blog entry on the 12-jan-2012 @ http://allaboutwebos.wordpress.com/2...apps-on-webos/

Hurraah!!!
22nd January 2012, 12:34 AM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 0

106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asantaga

guys,

looks like openmobile will be releasing the ACL layer for WebOS!!!

See http://openmobileww.com/news.php
and a blog entry on the 12-jan-2012 @ http://allaboutwebos.wordpress.com/2...apps-on-webos/

Hurraah!!!

This is truly amazing. It means we can get the performance and battery life of webOS with the application usage of Android. I grow incredibly weary of watching my battery drain 20% overnight on ICS as a variety of background apps suck the life out of my tablet.

What I would like to know is what the timeline is on this release?
22nd January 2012, 10:07 AM   |  #39  
OP Senior Member

130 posts
Agreed, I love android but 15-20% drain in 24hrs (gingerbread) is too much for me as i dont use it everyday. (thats my laptops job!)..

I've tweeted (@openmobileww and #aclwebos) them asking them for a timescale, just a guesstimate, non-committal would be great.

Angelo
22nd January 2012, 11:44 AM   |  #40  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 675

1,371 posts
More
This is great news I hope each app will be in new card . Just love throwing card away to close

Sent from my Optimus 2X using XDA App

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread