navigation and gps solutions.

Search This thread

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
I have read a whole topic about gps and who might use and not use.
Complaints and otherbthings.

As me and my wife use the prime and are very happy with it we would like to use itr navigation.
We like tonse the programm on a bigger screen when we travell bybcar through china on the htc sensation we use navigon but we can not istall it onbthe prima.

So we wanna think in solutions not discuss teh gps problem in the prime there are allready so many posts about that.

So i am looking for creative solutions like i have whatsapp on my prime now without fone card.

Why i would like navigation with maps on prime.
1 it is a nice big screen and it saves data.

We both have a htc sensation and a prime (my wife is taiwanese and inam dutch) so dutch makenexcelent cheese but taiwanese make excelent elecronics.

Our fones and primes are rooted offcourse.

So can we use our fone gps andnconnect with prime?
Europe maps and asian maps how can we use navigon on the prime?

So i not likento know whats not good or possible just creative ideas or solutions.
Will try myself as well and share the results just like the whatsapp solution.
U
So how getbthe htc gps coordinates to the prime like through blnue tooth?
Andnwich programm we usenfor navigation (maps on prime)

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
Installed these programs on the htc sensation and prime.
Try to connect the two but seems they not wanna connect through the software wich is downloaded and installed. Buth are in the setting menu connected.?

Grtz

fuzzer

Jul 28, 2006
Your phone and tp must be paired...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
Oke got it working.
now howget a working navigation programm with maps on the prime i tryed navigon but not work. Others from b market not work.
And can thisnprog take over the info from blue tooth gps running on the prime?

theandies

My solution so far. I'm still figuring out what map software I will ultimately use but the Pharos BT receiver and BT GPS app work great.

Used Bluetooth GPS app (Android Market https://market.android.com/details?...GwsMSwxLDUwMSwiZ29vZ29vLmFuZHJvaWQuYnRncHMiXQ.... ) to connect my 12 channel Pharos iGPS-500. Make sure to check enable mock GPS provider (which will be BT GPS app).

PT120_d1_1.jpg

Check in BT GPS app that I was locked solid on 12 satellites! I'd much rather use this because it is a true GPS receiver and seems better than anything in a smartphone (at least mine) or tablet.

I used Sygic GPS Navigation for the map downloaded (free 7 day trial) from the market. To use off-line you need to download area specific map as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sygic.aura#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwiY29tLnN5Z2ljLmF1cmEiXQ..

I made sure both my GPS and WiFi were turned off. Followed me all the way home. If Asus ever fixes the GPS issue wouldn't matter to me. I was actually going to do this on my smartphone a while back because my GPS in it is not that good. I just never got around to doing it. I got this to work on my phone as well. I'm kind of glad the Prime has this "problem" it lit a fire under me to get this done.

There are many other solutions that work like this you just have to dig around on the www.

This is my setup unless I decide to buy a different map apps which are available.

PrimeTimeBro

Dec 29, 2011
My solution so far. I'm still figuring out what map software I will ultimately use but the Pharos BT receiver and BT GPS app work great.

Used Bluetooth GPS app (Android Market https://market.android.com/details?...GwsMSwxLDUwMSwiZ29vZ29vLmFuZHJvaWQuYnRncHMiXQ.... ) to connect my 12 channel Pharos iGPS-500. Make sure to check enable mock GPS provider (which will be BT GPS app).

PT120_d1_1.jpg

Check in BT GPS app that I was locked solid on 12 satellites! I'd much rather use this because it is a true GPS receiver and seems better than anything in a smartphone (at least mine) or tablet.

I used Sygic GPS Navigation for the map downloaded (free 7 day trial) from the market. To use off-line you need to download area specific map as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sygic.aura#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDUwMSwiY29tLnN5Z2ljLmF1cmEiXQ..

I made sure both my GPS and WiFi were turned off. Followed me all the way home. If Asus ever fixes the GPS issue wouldn't matter to me. I was actually going to do this on my smartphone a while back because my GPS in it is not that good. I just never got around to doing it. I got this to work on my phone as well. I'm kind of glad the Prime has this "problem" it lit a fire under me to get this done.

There are many other solutions that work like this you just have to dig around on the www.

This is my setup unless I decide to buy a different map apps which are available.

No offense but anyone who doesn't already have a Pharos BT GPS this would he very cost inefficient

theandies

No offense but anyone who doesn't already have a Pharos BT GPS this would he very cost inefficient

Agreed but there are many on ebay and I'm sure someone could find a nice used one. I bought this to us with my PDA years ago. I'm just trying to help people that want to use a 10.1 inch tablet for navigation. One thing using a tablet (especailly the Prime with it's outstanding display) is that it lights up the inside of the car like a light bulb, even with the brightness turned all the way down and the software set to night mode.

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
There is a post and explanation in the forum about whatsapp how to just search on whats app and its there how i did it

Last edited:

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
software problem

The bluetooth program on the prine many time say service discovery failed. Sometimes when close the program on the prime or on htc and restart once in a while i get it working but most of the time when push connect again after restart it give service discovery failed.?
Could there be a blue tooth setting wrong?

Last edited:

yhzhrm

Apr 28, 2011
Halifax
The bluetooth program on the prine many time say service discovery failed. Sometimes when close the program on the prime or on htc and restart once in a while i get it working but most of the time when push connect again after restart it give service discovery failed.?
Could there be a blue tooth setting wrong?

My experience with using BT to use my phone as a GPS receiver with the Prime.

I experienced something similar the first time I tried to use my SGS2. This isue was with the phone and not my Prime.

Once you turn bluetooth on for both devices go into one of the bluetooth setting on either device and search for "device" the device doing the searching should locate the other bluetooth device. Hit connect. You will then be asked to accept the connection on the other device.

Now both devices should be paired.

Open Bluetoo GPS on th ePrime

Open GPS over BT on the phone

If the service discovery fails (as it did in may case) I had to do a cold reboot of my phone. Power off the phone completely.

A better option in my opinion for navigation purposes is not to use a phone's GPS but to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver. I had no trouble connecting a BT GPS receiver to the Prime using Bluetooth GPS on the Prime. You wil get better battery life out of a BT GPS receiver.

Good luck.

cgrainger

Jan 17, 2009
Loses GPS

I have been experimenting with BT GPS and GPS over BT with my Droid2. It works fine initially but then says it lost GPS after a few minutes. Looking at the BT GPS app seems to indicate that the connection to the Droid2 is still there and working fine, but the apps (like Navigation) seem to lose their GPS connection. Restarting the application seems to reconnect for a few minutes, then it loses it again.
I've watched the Droid2 and its lock seems rock solid.

Am I missing some setting? I have the "mock location" enabled on the Prime and in the BT GPS app.

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
gps

Hhhhmmm it seems that the fone connection and bluentooth connect nos so smooth with the prime.
Like a poster saidnmaybebshould have a separate gps receiver with blue tooth to solve the connection problem.

Any suggestion wich one?

Still struglingnwith finding a navigation program with mapsmon the nprime. Seems all programs i download from other markets the n the standard market have timre limit or not run at all like navigon.

Last edited:

tedr44

Jan 2, 2012
i-Blue 737 locks in 39 seconds from a cold start, ultra sensitive..

One of the leaders in this area is Transystem, Inc., they have recently released a Bluetooth GPS receiver, the i-Blue 737 which is marketed as a high performance and accurate Bluetooth GPS receiver. Let's take a look at how it performs with Windows Mobile!

WHAT'S HOT
The key attributes of the i-Blue 737 are:

32-Channel all-in-view satellite tracking
Ultra high sensitivity MTK chipset (-158dBm)
Smart power saving function for up to 25 hours of operation on one charge
Smart auto sleep & wake function for up to 360 hours in standby mode
Fast position acquisition, 39 seconds from a cold start, 36 seconds from a warm start, and 1 second from a hot start.
Compatible with WAAS, EGNOS, and MSAS accuracy augmentation signals
Position accuracy within 3 meters without augmentation signal
Position accuracy within 2.5 meters with WAAS, EGNOS, or MSAS augmentation signal
Support for the NMEA-0183 V3.0 GPS communication standard V3.0 (4800-115200 baud)
Support for the Bluetooth version 1.1, 1.2 and 2.0 Serial Protocol Profile (SPP)

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
connect to sygic

I connected my htc fone now to the prime and on the prime the programm blue tooth gps shows the htc satelits.
Butnseems i can not let sygic find the coordinates from bluetooth gos it keeps starting the primes gps. Can not find a setting to redirect the sygic navigation program to the blue tooth programm.
How can indo this?

SoTacMatt

Jan 7, 2009
Tacoma, WA
I knew i kept my Holux M-1000 bluetooth GPS around for a reason! It never dawned on me to try that till i read this post. Thanks for the awesome suggestion... I will try it out more tomorrow when I'm out driving all over town. But so far so good!!! :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shindai.china

Jan 1, 2012
blue tooth seems not connect

Seems i not get a stabill connection between the program on the htc and the prime. Sometimes it works fine sometimes not just try connect on htc bkuetooth can not connect then try on prime itnwill connect.??? Other way arrund same someone same experiance.? Looks like the bluentooth not connect so nice?....
Once it is connected its stabil and works perfect. So what can i do i can connect them in a smooth way.
Any ideas?

Last edited: