Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,955 Members 52,886 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AGPS Patch Iconia 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, CAN LOCK ONTO MORE SATS

Tip us?

crypted
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4,122

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by subnoize soulja View Post
what is the benefits of this other than making gps faster???? is something good to have if your using navigation or something for better responce times or something im just a little confused?
This patch enables extra variables and adds some extra functionality so that GPS and related location systems can more quickly and more accurately find your location.

This assumes you have a rooted device and are using a non-stock ROM for the most part. Also, this assumes you have some sort of data connection at least a few times a day.

If you have issues, try it. If you're content with your GPS performance, there's not a need. Lots of people have issues and this has helped them.

subnoize soulja
Old
Thanks Meter 27
If I have the a500 wifi version this really won't do me any good I'm assuming then?

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,122

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If I have the a500 wifi version this really won't do me any good I'm assuming then?
That depends. If your GPS unit is faulty, it definitely won't be good because you won't be able to rely on SUPL servers.

If you GPS unit is good, though, it might very well be okay. In fact, I would think you could likely have great success.

Here's what I'd do:
1. Install the AGPS Patch
2. Install GPS Status from Market
3. Set GPS Status to download GPS data two or three times a day. And, manually download the data before you go out and about where you will not have WiFi.
4. Precache a map using Google Maps Lab for Precaching.
5. Try it out.

Who knows, you may end up with a great navigational tool without constant data connection that way!

subnoize soulja
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted View Post
That depends. If your GPS unit is faulty, it definitely won't be good because you won't be able to rely on SUPL servers.

If you GPS unit is good, though, it might very well be okay. In fact, I would think you could likely have great success.

Here's what I'd do:
1. Install the AGPS Patch
2. Install GPS Status from Market
3. Set GPS Status to download GPS data two or three times a day. And, manually download the data before you go out and about where you will not have WiFi.
4. Precache a map using Google Maps Lab for Precaching.
5. Try it out.

Who knows, you may end up with a great navigational tool without constant data connection that way!
thanks I will definitely give it a whirl

subnoize soulja
Old
Thanks Meter 27
@ crypted I took your advice and downloaded gps status and ran it and I get a lock on 3/5 sats in 9 seconds so I went back to where you download the patch but I'm not sure what link I need.... I am running civato's flexstriker r8 2 Rom and I'm not too sure which patch to download I was thinking Google specific but I don't want to mess nothing up if you can please point me to the necessary link that would be greatly appreciated thanx in advance

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,122

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
@ crypted I took your advice and downloaded gps status and ran it and I get a lock on 3/5 sats in 9 seconds so I went back to where you download the patch but I'm not sure what link I need.... I am running civato's flexstriker r8 2 Rom and I'm not too sure which patch to download I was thinking Google specific but I don't want to mess nothing up if you can please point me to the necessary link that would be greatly appreciated thanx in advance
Okay, well I always recommend Google Specific and am particularly fond of v3.1.

Like normal, do a backup before flashing it.

subnoize soulja
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted View Post
Okay, well I always recommend Google Specific and am particularly fond of v3.1.

Like normal, do a backup before flashing it.
Yes sir thank you so much

subnoize soulja
Old
Thanks Meter 27
hey crypted just wanted to let you know I just installed the patch and it works amazingly more sats within a shorter time I get a lock on 9 sats in 9 secs thanks

nifterific
Old
Thanks Meter 73
installed 3.1 on the a200 3.2.1 rom. went from GPS constantly searching with no results ever to 7 sats in 6 seconds according to GPS Test from the market. Turned off GPS, loaded google maps on Wifi (you know, to load the map), backed out of google maps, turned off Wifi, enabled GPS, went back into google maps and it says I'm across the street from me (closeenough.jpg). THANK YOU for this.

crypted
Old
Thanks Meter 4,122

DONATE TO ME
Just a friendly notice that the thread has been updated.

There is a new build which I recommend. Before questioning or inquiring why I removed the use of SSL, review the NOTE on the matter. This has proven to be a faster operation by tests in various regions and numerous devices.

Lastly, I added a section for asking questions. Review that before communicating here. It gets really old seeing that people refuse to read what I've worked hard to write especially when it usually answers the questions asked.

Don't forget to consider donating if you appreciate the work and find it useful.

Tags
gps, iconia, lock, slow