[TUTORIAL] Want to Theme?

Search This thread

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
ok.. for the noobs that are unable to recompile SystemUI.apk and RES_Cappuccino.apk without errors try decompiling with dependancies and when it prompts you drag framework-res.apk into the command window and it seems to have solved my issues.

This seems to have helped for now.. I am working on updating Iconic Red GingerDroid then if successful Steel BlueVolt, so if you follow those threads I am hoping for some good results as long as my lucky streak stands with apkmanager now apk multi-tool.

KaneOfMars

Jul 26, 2011
Charleston, SC
ok.. for the noobs that are unable to recompile SystemUI.apk and RES_Cappuccino.apk without errors try decompiling with dependancies and when it prompts you drag framework-res.apk into the command window and it seems to have solved my issues.

This seems to have helped for now.. I am working on updating Iconic Red GingerDroid then if successful Steel BlueVolt, so if you follow those threads I am hoping for some good results as long as my lucky streak stands with apkmanager now apk multi-tool.

that's weird, I've never had any trouble recompiling with apk multi-tool.
the only time I would get errors would be if there was a broken .9 or a bad xml edit.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
that's weird, I've never had any trouble recompiling with apk multi-tool.
the only time I would get errors would be if there was a broken .9 or a bad xml edit.

I have had nothing but problems since I started doing this. Apk manager in Windows and Linux and now Multi-tool I just figured it out..

sent from my V6 Supercharged LG Revo BlueVolt :D

spc_hicks09

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com
not that anyone will know but I was wondering if you can copy and paste in paint.net? I have an icon I want to use for signal strength, but I need to make four of them instead of 1 so how do I do that?

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

Whenever I need to do that, I just make the 1 icon and save it. Then copy and paste it in that folder.

Sent from my Volted Ice Revo using Tapatalk.

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
APK Manager vs. Apk Multi-Tool

Even though the programs are the same basically, I found one advantage of using APK Manager.. you can have multiple installations running in different folders. This is just a tip that helps me keeping things organized but after you run the script close it out or that has tripped me up.

APK Multi-tool uses a Windows Installer, so if you can only use one installation at a time. Right now I am using three different APK Managers, one for Unthemed files, one for already themed files I am updating, and another for pieces/part that I am trying to integrate.

APK Multi-Tool has a new feature that is supposed to make updating a theme much easier without doing all the crap I just described but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Anybody else?

Reactions: HighLimit

HighLimit

Mar 28, 2012
Huntsville AL
d-h.st
Hey guys! Someone recently posted that they wanted to start to making their own themes and I posted a very long reply and figured, might as well post a "somewhat easy to understand" tutorial here for everyone.

So you want to make your own themes?

First off, it is important to know that if you plan on porting any themes over and releasing it to the masses, that you get permission from the theme owner first!!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE EXPLODES OR MELTS! lol

NOTE: IF YOU'RE A NOOB (you know if you are) DO NOT MESS WITH ANY IMAGE THAT ENDS IN ".9" UNTIL YOU READ UP ON THEM.......A LOT! IF YOU'RE JUST REPLACING AN IMAGE, THEN READ ON.

What you will need:
Apkmanager: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695701
7zip: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
An empty flashable zip: http://www.multiupload.com/DBEMBUOCND
Lot's of time on your hands!

GETTING STARTED:

Apkmanager is going to be your "all-in-one" tool for making a theme in Windows.
(I'll go into all the options of apkmanager a little later)

The process you need to follow is actually kind of simple. It's just very time consuming.

First you will need to make the images that you want (unless you are porting a theme).

Now what you need to do is one way or another, get the framework-res.apk and the SystemUI.apk from your phone, you also need the RES_cappuccino.apk (found in /system/framework. (If you don't want to mess with using adb, use Root Explorer, just copy the apk then paste on your sdcard, then copy and paste from your sdcard onto your pc.)

Extract apkmanager to somewhere easy like the desktop and you should end up with a folder named "apkmanager" or whatever.

Inside that folder, you should have the following folders:

Other
place-apk-here-for-modding
place-apk-here-for-signing
place-apk-here-to-batch-optimize
place-ogg-here
projects

Then the following files:
log
Script

DO NOT MODIFY THE NAMES OF ANY OF THESE FILES OR FOLDERS OR NOTHING WILL WORK!

Take the 3 files that you got from your phone and place them in the "place apk here for modding" folder.

Double click to open the "Script" file

Press "22" and hit enter to set your current job

Select either 1,2 or 3 for whichever apk you want to start on first and hit enter

Select "1" to extract. You do not need to decompile unless you are editing XML files.

Once the extraction is done, go inside the "projects" folder and now you have a folder inside there with whatever the name is of the apk you just extracted.

Inside that folder are the images and XML files you need to replace (you might not have to edit any of the XML files, that's a little more advanced unless you already know how to.)

Most of the images you will need to edit will be in the following folders of each apk:

res>drawable
res>drawable-hdpi

Once you get everything done and you're ready to test it out, you need to go back to that "Script" file in apkmanager and open it back up. Now you're going to do pretty much the same stuff you did when you were extracting the apk, in order to rezip the apk.

In the Script for apkmanager, you're going to press "22" and hit enter, then select which file you want to compile first by either pressing 1, 2 or 3.

Select the file and hit enter, then press "3" and press enter

Now press "1" so that apkmanager knows it's a system file and will retain the files signature.

As long as you didn't mess anything up during the process of changing stuff, you shouldn't receive any errors. If you do, you need to figure out what it was you messed up on and fix it.

Go through and rezip all the apks that you edited. Once that is done, you will go to your "place apk here for modding" folder again and you will notice that you have 3 new files in there:

unsignedframework-res.apk
unsignedSystemUI.apk
unsignedRES_cappuccino.apk

Remember that empty flashable zip you downloaded earlier? Now you need it.

Right click on the flashable zip and mouse over "7zip" and click on "Open Archive"

Take the unsignedSystemUI.apk and place it in the "app" folder. Now rename that to its original name:

SystemUI.apk

Now take that unsignedframework-res.apk and unsignedRES_cappuccino.apk and place them in the "framework" folder of the flashable zip. Rename those to:

framework-res.apk
RES_cappuccino.apk

Now you can close out of the flashable zip file and place it on your sdcard.

Reboot into recovery, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik.

Now go back and flash the zip file you just put on your sdcard.

Since you wiped your cache and your dalvik, the reboot will take a little while. You should now be good to go!

NOTE: Since I did not create apkmanager, I will not be able to answer many questions about it but feel free to ask. If I don't have an answer for you, Just go back to the post above where you downloaded it, and post your question there.

Please enjoy and happy themeing!!!!!!

And to add. There is also another great way for beginners to start making themes. It's very simple, all you do is select the changes you want made, then upload the framework-res.apk and the SystemUI.apk and it does all the work for you!!!! Even puts everything into a flashable zip! All you have to do is download the zip file then flash it! Here's the link to the UOT Theme Kitchen:

http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/

Also, thanks to drt054 for pointing out that Apkmanager is being improved on and the name is changing to APK Multi-Tool. If you use this tool instead, I will not be able to help with any troubleshooting because I just recently started using it. You can download it here:

APK Multi-Tool: http://apkmultitool.com/

great post thank you for spending the time to do that, it is very appreciated.

HighLimit

Mar 28, 2012
Huntsville AL
d-h.st
Even though the programs are the same basically, I found one advantage of using APK Manager.. you can have multiple installations running in different folders. This is just a tip that helps me keeping things organized but after you run the script close it out or that has tripped me up.

APK Multi-tool uses a Windows Installer, so if you can only use one installation at a time. Right now I am using three different APK Managers, one for Unthemed files, one for already themed files I am updating, and another for pieces/part that I am trying to integrate.

APK Multi-Tool has a new feature that is supposed to make updating a theme much easier without doing all the crap I just described but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Anybody else?

Ive been doing the same, got fn windows everywhere, would also like to know this.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Btw, after starting lastnight just realized how time consuming this is, and tedious, really get an appreciation for how clean some of these are, (kane and hicks) nice work.

Question though, wheres the dialer images? Too lazy to look lol noob qudstion

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys! Someone recently posted that they wanted to start to making their own themes and I posted a very long reply and figured, might as well post a "somewhat easy to understand" tutorial here for everyone.

So you want to make your own themes?

First off, it is important to know that if you plan on porting any themes over and releasing it to the masses, that you get permission from the theme owner first!!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE EXPLODES OR MELTS! lol

NOTE: IF YOU'RE A NOOB (you know if you are) DO NOT MESS WITH ANY IMAGE THAT ENDS IN ".9" UNTIL YOU READ UP ON THEM.......A LOT! IF YOU'RE JUST REPLACING AN IMAGE, THEN READ ON.

What you will need:
    Apkmanager: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695701
    7zip: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    An empty flashable zip: http://www.multiupload.com/DBEMBUOCND
    Lot's of time on your hands!

GETTING STARTED:

Apkmanager is going to be your "all-in-one" tool for making a theme in Windows.
    (I'll go into all the options of apkmanager a little later)

The process you need to follow is actually kind of simple. It's just very time consuming.

First you will need to make the images that you want (unless you are porting a theme).

Now what you need to do is one way or another, get the framework-res.apk and the SystemUI.apk from your phone, you also need the RES_cappuccino.apk (found in /system/framework. (If you don't want to mess with using adb, use Root Explorer, just copy the apk then paste on your sdcard, then copy and paste from your sdcard onto your pc.)

Extract apkmanager to somewhere easy like the desktop and you should end up with a folder named "apkmanager" or whatever.

Inside that folder, you should have the following folders:

Other
    place-apk-here-for-modding
    place-apk-here-for-signing
    place-apk-here-to-batch-optimize
    place-ogg-here
    projects

Then the following files:
    log
    Script

DO NOT MODIFY THE NAMES OF ANY OF THESE FILES OR FOLDERS OR NOTHING WILL WORK!

Take the 3 files that you got from your phone and place them in the "place apk here for modding" folder.

Double click to open the "Script" file

Press "22" and hit enter to set your current job

Select either 1,2 or 3 for whichever apk you want to start on first and hit enter

Select "1" to extract. You do not need to decompile unless you are editing XML files.

Once the extraction is done, go inside the "projects" folder and now you have a folder inside there with whatever the name is of the apk you just extracted.

Inside that folder are the images and XML files you need to replace (you might not have to edit any of the XML files, that's a little more advanced unless you already know how to.)

Most of the images you will need to edit will be in the following folders of each apk:

res>drawable
    res>drawable-hdpi

Once you get everything done and you're ready to test it out, you need to go back to that "Script" file in apkmanager and open it back up. Now you're going to do pretty much the same stuff you did when you were extracting the apk, in order to rezip the apk.

In the Script for apkmanager, you're going to press "22" and hit enter, then select which file you want to compile first by either pressing 1, 2 or 3.

Select the file and hit enter, then press "3" and press enter

Now press "1" so that apkmanager knows it's a system file and will retain the files signature.

As long as you didn't mess anything up during the process of changing stuff, you shouldn't receive any errors. If you do, you need to figure out what it was you messed up on and fix it.

Go through and rezip all the apks that you edited. Once that is done, you will go to your "place apk here for modding" folder again and you will notice that you have 3 new files in there:

unsignedframework-res.apk
    unsignedSystemUI.apk
    unsignedRES_cappuccino.apk

Remember that empty flashable zip you downloaded earlier? Now you need it.

Right click on the flashable zip and mouse over "7zip" and click on "Open Archive"

Take the unsignedSystemUI.apk and place it in the "app" folder. Now rename that to its original name:

SystemUI.apk

Now take that unsignedframework-res.apk and unsignedRES_cappuccino.apk and place them in the "framework" folder of the flashable zip. Rename those to:

framework-res.apk
    RES_cappuccino.apk

Now you can close out of the flashable zip file and place it on your sdcard.

Reboot into recovery, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik.

Now go back and flash the zip file you just put on your sdcard.

Since you wiped your cache and your dalvik, the reboot will take a little while. You should now be good to go!

NOTE: Since I did not create apkmanager, I will not be able to answer many questions about it but feel free to ask. If I don't have an answer for you, Just go back to the post above where you downloaded it, and post your question there.

Please enjoy and happy themeing!!!!!!

And to add. There is also another great way for beginners to start making themes. It's very simple, all you do is select the changes you want made, then upload the framework-res.apk and the SystemUI.apk and it does all the work for you!!!! Even puts everything into a flashable zip! All you have to do is download the zip file then flash it! Here's the link to the UOT Theme Kitchen:

http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/

Also, thanks to drt054 for pointing out that Apkmanager is being improved on and the name is changing to APK Multi-Tool. If you use this tool instead, I will not be able to help with any troubleshooting because I just recently started using it. You can download it here:

APK Multi-Tool: http://apkmultitool.com/
    Great post!

Don't forget, UOT can be a great starting point for inspiration also, at least give a little jump start.

Also, the hardest part is also getting your paths set up for apk manager to read adb. Just Google it and the answers are easy to find!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
    Very true! I'm so used to doing it this way that I sometimes forget about UOT lol. I'll post a link in the OP to it. Thanks Mt! Did you see my newest addition to the Themes section?

I did! It looks great!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
    wow thats a bit harder then i thought lol... maybe ill just leave it up to you guys the real dev. lol but thanks! maybe when i get more into the phone and modding/tweaking stuff ill try it ha

Once you dig into it it's not to bad!

wow thats a bit harder then i thought lol... maybe ill just leave it up to you guys the real dev. lol but thanks! maybe when i get more into the phone and modding/tweaking stuff ill try it ha

Indy's comment to your post was exactly true. It really doesn't take that long once you get the hang of it. Making your own images is what takes longer than anything in my opinion. Even if it takes you a long time to push a theme out, just remember that "it's about quality, not quantity." As long as you put out an awesome looking theme, most people won't care how long it took or how long it takes to push out updates. It definitely wouldn't take long if you use the UOT Theme Kitchen. The link for that can be found at the bottom of my first post.