[MOD] Quick & Easy Root Script - HC

Search This thread

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
This should work for any and all a100 Honeycomb builds, you'll need to install an app from the market called terminal emulator. Also, you'll need a file manager like Astro to unzip the file.

This mod should root your tab in a matter of seconds after the script file is launched. I've tested this on my tab from a clean build and it works like a champ.

Here we go!

- Install the following apps from the market:
Terminal Emulator
https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en&rdid=jackpal.androidterm&rdot=1

Astro File Manager
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en

- Download the attached file from this post.

- Extract and put both the root.sh and su in /mnt/sdcard from the root.zip file.

(Using Astro, find the root.zip file it might be in /mnt/sdcard/Downloads or could be else where if your not using the website to view XDA. Copy it from where ever it's at and paste it in /mnt/sdcard. Press your finger on the zip file and tap Extract when the menu pops up. Tap "Extract to This Directory".)

- Next, open terminal emulator and copy / paste the following:

sh /mnt/sdcard/root.sh

Text will fly by, the script will automatically copy the su binary and install it to the proper location.

Once the script finishes running, be sure to install superuser from the market:

Very Important, if you skip this you won't be "officially rooted yet"!!!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su

Open the superuser app once it's installed, click on the wrench in the upper right corner, scroll to the bottom and find "Su binary v... Tap to check for updates" and tap that link. It should bring you to an update screen, click the button at the bottom to update!

Once you have done the above, then install busybox, Titanium, etc.. if needed.

Thanks goes to abliss for origionally coming up with the root commands!

This mod really just automates his work.

Attachments

• root.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 16,552
Last edited:

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
permission denied every step of the way. Used both script manager and terminal

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
ok terminal manager is out, I didn't realize that doing a hard reset wouldn't wipe the /system/xbin directory completely so technically busybox tools were still installed and sh wouldn't normally be there. I'll see if there's another way..

luisxd

Jan 10, 2012
Mexicali, BC
this method work for any build? and if so, is there any problem during the process that could "kill" my a100 or it's safe?

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
This method should, yes and it's safe.. It's actually more safe (if that's possible) than the method origionally posted in the dev section since there really isn't any room for user error.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Last edited:

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
I wasn't expecting it to anyway, but I figured I'd let you know this doesn't work on the A101.

Hoping someone can find a working root method for this model. :(

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
Sorry to hear about the a101, that thing sounds like a tough nut to crack!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

blb04g

Sep 11, 2010
It works and its so simple

Thank you so much for this! It was so easy. Though the only problem I had was with the terminal emulator, no fualt of the Dev, but it might help someone. When I was trying to write in the line of code I kept getting errors because I couldnt get the keyboard to write lower case. So copy and paste if your a noon like me to get it through the terminal.

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
Well, I dont know what the hell is up with my tab, but Even this didnt work. It showed the file was there, but after I tried installing SU, it didnt get root, so I went back in to verify the file was still there, and nope. It disappeared. I have no idea how, unless somehow mine device is checking the directories, which is the only thing I can think of...

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
Well, I dont know what the hell is up with my tab, but Even this didnt work. It showed the file was there, but after I tried installing SU, it didnt get root, so I went back in to verify the file was still there, and nope. It disappeared. I have no idea how, unless somehow mine device is checking the directories, which is the only thing I can think of...

You sure you don´t have an a101? what build number are you running?

crossix

Dec 6, 2007
Houston
A100_2.007.04_COM_GEN1

Most definitely an A100...

I have no idea then.. the only thing I could say is to try and restore from a "Full" rom, like Acer_A100_1.014.08_COM_GEN1 and try to root it before doing anything else. It wouldn't hurt to try anyway and the worst that could happen is that you'd have to restore all your apps and stuff. If we can ever get this thing to run cwm and a different kernel, you'll definitely be needing root.

Icewyng

Dec 10, 2010
Québec

Did you check the boxes for USB Debugging and Unknown sources just in case?? (in Settings > development)

mvan4310

Jan 14, 2012
I checked them both. Root Checker shows I have root, but other apps cant get root access, and SuperUser cant update because of this issue... I dont know what the hell to do because this has me stuck atm... Im gonna flash back to 1.018 and see if that helps, probably not, but it wont hurt to check.

EDIT:

I reverted back and got root. It seems to be the newest update that stopped it. Im updating back up again to see if I retain root. What a pain...

Edit 2:

Yep, Im rooted now. It unrooted me when updating, ran the script you provided and its working now. Dont know why it didnt take before reverting back, but works wonderfully now. Now that Im rooted, let me know what I can do and peek around at to help out here.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This should work for any and all a100 Honeycomb builds, you'll need to install an app from the market called terminal emulator. Also, you'll need a file manager like Astro to unzip the file.

This mod should root your tab in a matter of seconds after the script file is launched. I've tested this on my tab from a clean build and it works like a champ.

Here we go!

- Install the following apps from the market:
    Terminal Emulator
    https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en&rdid=jackpal.androidterm&rdot=1

Astro File Manager
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro&hl=en

- Download the attached file from this post.

- Extract and put both the root.sh and su in /mnt/sdcard from the root.zip file.

(Using Astro, find the root.zip file it might be in /mnt/sdcard/Downloads or could be else where if your not using the website to view XDA. Copy it from where ever it's at and paste it in /mnt/sdcard. Press your finger on the zip file and tap Extract when the menu pops up. Tap "Extract to This Directory".)

- Next, open terminal emulator and copy / paste the following:

sh /mnt/sdcard/root.sh

Text will fly by, the script will automatically copy the su binary and install it to the proper location.

Once the script finishes running, be sure to install superuser from the market:

Very Important, if you skip this you won't be "officially rooted yet"!!!

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.noshufou.android.su

Open the superuser app once it's installed, click on the wrench in the upper right corner, scroll to the bottom and find "Su binary v... Tap to check for updates" and tap that link. It should bring you to an update screen, click the button at the bottom to update!

Once you have done the above, then install busybox, Titanium, etc.. if needed.

Thanks goes to abliss for origionally coming up with the root commands!

This mod really just automates his work.
    Yes, rooting your tab has no effect on OTA updates...