This thread is dedicated to hacking and development of the Sharp SH7218u. This is an Android phone with a somewhat unique clamshell form-factor.
Before proceeding, please note that all of the usual warnings apply. The software and techniques described here have the potential to break your device and make it unusable. By using the software and following these techniques you run the risk of bricking your phone. I take no responsibility if this happens - proceed at your own risk.
First, some credits for the work of others:
Developed by xda member RyanZA.
SH7218u Clockworkmod Recovery:
Clockworkmod original developer is Koushik Dutta:
Original developer of now open source dialer is dnaq Productions:
Initial hacking and development work:
Gigi Tse is credited for early and ongoing work for the SH7218u:
Now on the instructions....
Rooting Your Phone, Installing Clockworkmod Recovery, and Installing Google Apps
Gather the Required Files:
1. Go to the z4root xda thread, login in and download z4root.1.3.0.apk:
2. Download SH7218u_recovery.apk:
3. Download the Clockworkmod recovery flashable Google Apps file from the following site:
In the table, you want to select the HDPI, CyanogenMod 6 version. The file that you download should be
4. Place these three files on your micro-SD card and insert the card into your phone.
Root Your Phone
1. Boot up your phone and skip the system setup wizard. Go to the app drawer and run 'Settings'.
2. Select 'Applications', and enable 'Unknown sources'.
3. Select 'Development', and enable 'USB debugging'.
4. Exit back out to your home screen launcher, then go to the app drawer and run 'ES File Explorer'.
5. The file explorer should show you the contents of your sd card. Tap on the file 'z4root.1.3.0.apk'.
6. Confirm installation of z4root, and when this is complete select 'Open' to run the app.
7. From within z4root, press the 'Permanent Root' button.
8. Wait until this process is complete, and the phone will reboot by itself. It can take 30 seconds or so for this to happen, so be patient. You are now rooted.
Flash Clockworkmod Recovery Image
You must be rooted for this to work. Do this after you have successfully completed the rooting process above. Also please note that this is not the CWM recovery image developed by Gigi Tse. Her image contains CWM version 188.8.131.52. This is my recovery image and contains CWM version 184.108.40.206.
1. Open the app drawer and run 'ES File Explorer'.
2. Tap on the file 'SH7218u_recovery.apk'.
3. Confirm installation and run the application by selecting 'Open' once installation is complete.
4. On startup, the application will request Superuser privleges - press 'Accept' to allow this.
5. Press the 'Flash Clockworkmod Recovery' button.
6. Wait a few seconds until you see the confirmation message 'Recovery Flash Complete'.
7. Exit out of the application. You now have Clockworkmod as your recovery. You can uninstall the SH7218u_recovery app if you wish as you have no further use of it.
Note for users of Link2SD:
This version of Clockworkmod recovery will perform backup and restore operations on the secondary SD card partition used by Link2SD. However, that partition must
be formatted in the ext3 filesystem for this to work. Formatting the partition in any other filesystem (e.g. ext2, fat32, ext4, etc.), will result in failure to mount and backup the partition. An SD card can be prepared for use with Link2SD from within this version of Clockworkmod recovery by using the 'Partition SD Card' feature within the 'Advanced' menu.
Install Google Apps
1. Boot into Clockworkmod Recovery. This is done by powering down your phone, then turning it back on by pressing and holding down the number 3 and 6 buttons together, then pressing and releasing the power button. Continue to hold the number 3 and 6 buttons until you see the Clockworkmod screen.
2. Select 'install zip from sdcard' from the menu.
3. Select 'choose zip from sdcard' from the next menu.
4. The next menu will be the contents of your sdcard. Select the Google Apps file - 'gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip'.
5. Confirm the installation and wait until it is complete.
6. Press the back button once to get back to the main screen and select 'reboot system now'. You now have Google Apps installed.
When you reboot the device, you will be taken through the Google account setup. Please note that in order for contacts applications to work with Google synchronization, you will need to install a modified contact editor. The stock firmware on this phone is not intended to sync with the Google servers as it was intended for Chinese users. The modified contact editor fixes this issue. It is free and available from the Market. Look for 'Contact Editor Free' by a developer named 'dmfs'.