Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,571 Members 55,016 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] AGPS Patch Galaxy S II 3.1 & 2.2 | GET BACK TO RAPID GPS LOCK, LOCK EXTRA SATS

Tip us?
 
crypted
Old
#11  
crypted's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4112
Posts: 2,473
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Miami Beach, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityhombre View Post
tl;dr but seems to be working thanks
Awesome! I'm not sure what you mean't with tl;dr though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlehqls View Post
Wow, thank you very much. Before I applied this patch via CWM (Using Google specific 3.1) I was getting 6 satellites in use with up to 99 feet accuracy. After I applied the patch, I was getting 10-11 satellites in use with up to 15 feet accuracy.

Very impressive, and I encourage all users to try it out as it seems to really work.
Glad it's doing well for you. If you have it in a case, you may consider taking it out of it. My phone, though a different model, can get up to 6ft accuracy without its case while outside. I average 12-18ft with the case on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroDefined View Post
Confirmed to be working on my Telus SGH-T989D.

Works like a charm, instant locks everytime!

Settings don't reset on reboot like with other fixes.

Highly recommend this, great job Crypted!
ZeroDefined: You're the reason the thread got started in the first place. Glad you're having such success with it. Hopefully your optimism and commentary will alleviate some fears about v3.x of this patch using my custom servers and dns pools.
 
01010001
Old
#12  
01010001's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 43
Posts: 118
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Seattle
What is the difference between the Google Specific and T-Mobile builds? Obviously there must be some kind of difference between them. You say the other builds "add flavor" but I have no idea what that means.

Also, thanks for doing this stuff.
 
crypted
Old
#13  
crypted's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4112
Posts: 2,473
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Miami Beach, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010001 View Post
What is the difference between the Google Specific and T-Mobile builds? Obviously there must be some kind of difference between them. You say the other builds "add flavor" but I have no idea what that means.

Also, thanks for doing this stuff.
Yeah, the agenda has a re-write for the thread to clarify that. The notes are burdensome and contain tons of information that most people don't want to sift through.

Case in point, Note #6:
Quote:
6. Short patch history: The 1.x trunk only flashed a modified gps.conf file which relied solely on Qualcomm and NTP.ORG. Starting with 2.x, a gps.conf and a matching SUPLROOTCERT file for SUPL server authentication is included. The 3.x trunk offers the same as v2.x but adds better sourcing for NTP data and for the xtra.bin file; it utilizes my own server to do so.
Basically, I collected a number of SUPL servers, corresponding ports, and corresponding root certificates used on the devices which the other data came from. This offers the "flavor" of using carrier or manufacturer specific SUPL servers for location assistance.

But, Google's SUPL outperforms all of those except for S.E.'s when used on those devices. So, I always recommend Google Build no matter whether you do v2.x or 3.x. You'll get the best bang for your open-source buck with 3.x.
The Following User Says Thank You to crypted For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pyraxiate
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 632
Posts: 1,770
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted View Post
Sorry for not addressing this sooner. You must read all the information.

Only v3.x will utilize my servers. FYI: well over 30 ROM's use v3.x in their production. However, I'm not aware of any for this Galaxy II variant yet. I do know that v3.x builds are operational on over 20,000 phones. Everyone is beyond pleased with it.

I'm not going to discuss the realities of how it works a lot better this way, but you can surely find it discussed numerous (30, 40, dunno the amount of times) different times in the other threads for officially supported devices.

V2.x uses the customary Qualcomm and NTP.ORG sources. However, I did optimize those to use different Qualcomm servers as primary sources because of overloading and latency issues. NTP.ORG really isn't resolvable because it has thousands of servers in the database no matter the routing issues involved.
Lol yes I took it apart and read everything from the inside out. Is your server online 24/7 and secure? I'm a bit of a security freak personally.. looks legit otherwise

Sent by my SGH-T989 from the Darkside
Devices - T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | Asus Transformer Tab TF300T
Roms - JediMaster 13 + Jedi X 13 - - - - - - - | CleanRom Inheritance 3.4.6 W / Untermench's 10.4.4.20 Kernel
Home Internet Speed - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> Work Internet Speed

If I have helped and you would like to donate, Click Here
 
crypted
Old
#15  
crypted's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4112
Posts: 2,473
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Miami Beach, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyraxiate View Post
Lol yes I took it apart and read everything from the inside out. Is your server online 24/7 and secure? I'm a bit of a security freak personally.. looks legit otherwise
Yes it's always online and yes it's secure. It's served over a million requests since October 2011. The NTP pool utilizes seven stratum 2 servers rather than some random server of the thousands of people who submit their home, work, or whatever servers to the NTP.ORG list. The DNS servers is apart from the hosting servers and has a redundant secondary in the event of an outage. The hosting servers are mirrors. I'm keeping the primary active all the time with a secondary just in case of a foul up. But that's very unlikely to occur. In my 10+ years of screwing with Linux servers, I have had maybe 6 days of downtime in total and most of that was a few minutes to upgrade RAM, swap to a new hard-drive with an updated OS, or other spec-related issues.

Let's assume there is a extremely unlikely outage of one hour. Your phone will process and cache the xtra.bin file for the length of its validity. That is a maximum of 24 hours. If it were out for a short time, your phone wouldn't be looking for it because it has the cache built up. The phone won't always get that data. It does so on expiration. This is why this patch works when very well on WiFi-only tablets, too.

As the v3.x gps.conf discusses, there are numerous components aside from the file and the NTP pools. It's divided into sections and discussed very plainly about what each section does. But, I know you've seen that already.

Again, I do not foresee any downtime and the servers are well paid in advance. I do ask for donations to help offset the costs of hosting these for all of our benefits. I do not rely on donations, but it is nice for the very few to offer some help in covering costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to crypted For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Rite Aid
Old
(Last edited by Rite Aid; 3rd February 2012 at 01:58 PM.)
#16  
Rite Aid's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 33
Join Date: Oct 2011
It's definitely locking in seconds. Great work


Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
 
jaxenroth
Old
#17  
jaxenroth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 57
Posts: 469
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Levittown, PA
Worked great. Lock is almost instant. Thx.

Sent from my phone.
Sent from my Phone....
 
Rekzer
Old
#18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 572
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Noob here, which should a Telus user in canada use?
 
Individ3
Old
#19  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 35
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekzer View Post
Noob here, which should a Telus user in canada use?
Try the Google 3.1. That's the one I installed and I'm also with Telus. GPS locks almost instantly!


Only thing I wanted to mention was that when I use the GPS test app, it doesn't show how many feet of accuracy anymore. Any reason why?
The Following User Says Thank You to Individ3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
crypted
Old
#20  
crypted's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4112
Posts: 2,473
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Miami Beach, FL

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Individ3 View Post
Try the Google 3.1. That's the one I installed and I'm also with Telus. GPS locks almost instantly!

Only thing I wanted to mention was that when I use the GPS test app, it doesn't show how many feet of accuracy anymore. Any reason why?
What app are you using? As the Notes Section discusses, a lot of GPS-related apps screw with the settings of this patch. GPS Status is the only app I use or recommend.

Mine shows accuracy of 18ft right now whilst I'm indoors and have a case on the phone.

Tags
agps, gps, location, lock, satellite
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes