Noob Guide: How to - from stock phone to custom ROM: includes Bali/Voodoo Lagfix

5th February 2012, 05:29 PM   |  #41  
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
flashing a different rom
i have a noob question. seems like it's been answered in this guide, but i just want to be absolutely sure. never rooted a phone at all before i rooted my SK4G. thanks to this forum i didnt screw up.

i've been running smooth maximus gingerclone for several months now, and i don't think its bad, but id like to try a new ROM. Glorious Overdose specifically, and my noob question is: once i am ready, and have everything backed up, and before i copy the new ROM to the sd card, should i delete the smooth maximus zip file? or is it safe to leave on there and put on the new rom and install anyways?

thanks for bearing with a nub. and thanks for the developer's hard work for the sidekick!
5th February 2012, 06:08 PM   |  #42  
Flag San Bernardino
Thanks Meter: 54

336 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixXxeR186

i have a noob question. seems like it's been answered in this guide, but i just want to be absolutely sure. never rooted a phone at all before i rooted my SK4G. thanks to this forum i didnt screw up.

i've been running smooth maximus gingerclone for several months now, and i don't think its bad, but id like to try a new ROM. Glorious Overdose specifically, and my noob question is: once i am ready, and have everything backed up, and before i copy the new ROM to the sd card, should i delete the smooth maximus zip file? or is it safe to leave on there and put on the new rom and install anyways?

thanks for bearing with a nub. and thanks for the developer's hard work for the sidekick!

I think that it would be fine to just leave it on there, but I'm no expert. I say this because when u select to install from a zip, it does so only from the file that you select, which in this case would be glorious overdose. But if you want to be absolutely safe, then you should just delete it. I'm assuming its saved on your computer anyways, so if you want to return to gingerclone, you can always just copy it back and install from that zip.

Well I guess since I'm no expert, I would say just play it safe lol

sent from a mini computer-gloriously overdosed
The Following User Says Thank You to JonathanBarca10 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2012, 06:14 PM   |  #43  
Account currently disabled
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 320

2,128 posts
More
it is safe to leave it on, any ROM on your sdcard won't affect anything. just choose the right one when you go to install and you'll be fine
The Following User Says Thank You to yogi2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2012, 06:24 PM   |  #44  
Flag Colorado

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanBarca10

I think that it would be fine to just leave it on there, but I'm no expert. I say this because when u select to install from a zip, it does so only from the file that you select, which in this case would be glorious overdose. But if you want to be absolutely safe, then you should just delete it. I'm assuming its saved on your computer anyways, so if you want to return to gingerclone, you can always just copy it back and install from that zip.

Well I guess since I'm no expert, I would say just play it safe lol

sent from a mini computer-gloriously overdosed

I appreciate the reply man! makes sense, better safe than brickt.

took my time readin up on all i can, as everyone should do.
and i think im ready to flash some new awesomeness on my SK, and ill holler if i need anymore help thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi2010

it is safe to leave it on, any ROM on your sdcard won't affect anything. just choose the right one when you go to install and you'll be fine

ok cool! thanks!
20th February 2012, 03:33 PM   |  #45  
Thanks Meter: 1

29 posts
The current ROM Manager version has a CWM recovery specifically for the SK4G... is that usable? The thread with the SK4G CWM recovery image did note that the device info had been submitted for inclusion in a later version, and that was the better part of a year ago; figuring there has to be a way to do this through ROM manager and save new folks a few treacherous steps.
21st February 2012, 12:45 PM   |  #46  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 157

284 posts
More
I tried it a few days ago and it didn't work. It's possible that I did something wrong though.
21st February 2012, 09:35 PM   |  #47  
Thanks Meter: 1

29 posts
It struck me that the automated install of CWM recovery that Rom Manager does probably doesn't take into account having to mount /system first, and that would probably have to be done before having ROM Manager flash the recovery (maybe by using Terminal Emulator to remount the /system partition). But without that, yeah, I'd think it might not work.

EDIT: That being said, even re-mounting in TE and then using ROM Manager is pretty straightforward... may be worth a try.
27th February 2012, 06:35 PM   |  #48  

17 posts
Error rooting SK 4G
i have downloaded all the necessary installation and downloads, but when it comes too rooting my sidekick it stops at step # 3. I have the model SGH-T839 version UVKG2. it also says ./psneuter:not found. any help on rooting my phone ?
27th February 2012, 07:25 PM   |  #49  
Account currently disabled
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 320

2,128 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsule8

i have downloaded all the necessary installation and downloads, but when it comes too rooting my sidekick it stops at step # 3. I have the model SGH-T839 version UVKG2. it also says ./psneuter:not found. any help on rooting my phone ?

are you running an av program? it sounds like your antivirus program removed the critical piece of the rootkit, which it sees as a virus but will not harm your computer. try disabling your antivirus, and downloading and running SuperOneClick again.
27th February 2012, 07:46 PM   |  #50  

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi2010

are you running an av program? it sounds like your antivirus program removed the critical piece of the rootkit, which it sees as a virus but will not harm your computer. try disabling your antivirus, and downloading and running SuperOneClick again.

I turned my AV program off and disabled its firewall but this doesn't seem to be the case. I am still stuck on step 3. any other clues?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bali, custom rom, guide, how to, voodoo lagfix
Previous Thread Next Thread