Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,033 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where is Bengalih? (Answer In Last Post)

Tip us?

Vragor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have read through the thread several times and searched but can't find any suggestions for making Dialing via MSVC work any better.

I have nearly 800 names in my contacts list. With that many, the odds of Voice Command picking out the right name is slim to none. On a different message board, the only suggestion I got was to delete all but the few names I actually call which seems silly.

I'd love to be able to tag the 20+ names that I routinely call and limit MSVC to searching only those few names. For that one feature, VoiceDial actually works better than MSVC. (Yes, I've tried saying "Start VoiceDial .pause. Fred" but it's long, annoying and fraught with failures).

Another solution I've considered but haven't figured out, is putting a shortcut in the programs directory. Since there are relatively few programs, the odds of finding the correct entry are higher. Plus I can rename the shortcut to anything I want (without screwing up the outlook entry).

I already do this for things like playlists. Since MSVC has no "Play Playlist XXXX" command, I solved it by making a shortcut in \windows\start menu\programs pointed to the playlist file. Now I can say "Start Motorcyle" to begin playing my motorcycle playlist.

I think I could solve this with some form of link to individual contacts and say "Start Joan Freemont" rather than "Call Joan Freemont"

bengalih
Old
Banned - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vragor View Post
....I have nearly 800 names in my contacts list. With that many, the odds of Voice Command picking out the right name is slim to none. On a different message board, the only suggestion I got was to delete all but the few names I actually call which seems silly.....I think I could solve this with some form of link to individual contacts and say "Start Joan Freemont" rather than "Call Joan Freemont"
I'm not aware of a way to create s shortcut to dial a contact, but if it exists i suppose that solution would work.

Even with 800 names I am surprised that MSVC wouldn't work sufficiently, assuming you are using full first and last names.

With only first name there would probably be some recognition errors, as some names would sound similar. But with both first and last names I would think the chances are quite slim. Sure there may be a "Nate Smith" and a "Tate Smith", and in situations like that it might be best to change "Nate" to "Nathan" or "Tate" to "Tatum." Using middle names may be another option.

Although I'm not sure it would work, read the tips about RejectionThreshold on page 2. Lowering the rejection threshold should mean that MSVC is abit more picky about what it thinks you are saying.

Another things to consider is your BT headset. Some are better than other and if you are not using a high quality one, you may want to upgrade.

Lastly, I can only think of accents or pronunciation. Try to enunciate the name as MSVC says it, not necessarily how you would say it. Punching consanants and stretching vowels may help.

Honestly I have never had a contact list of 800 people in my phone so I can't definitively say what should or should not work.

Finally, I found this tip from Microsoft:
Quote:
Use the nickname field to improve recognition accuracy
You can name contacts with nicknames such as Home, Mom, or Dentist. After doing this, you can call by simply saying Call Home, etc. If you have a contact that you consistently cannot access, try adding a nick name that looks the way that you might pronounce it.

Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what they mean by the nickname field, as I don't see that field in PocketOutlook. If you know what that means however, maybe it will help.

bengalih
Old
Banned - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
...I already do this for things like playlists. Since MSVC has no "Play Playlist XXXX" command, I solved it by making a shortcut in \windows\start menu\programs pointed to the playlist file. Now I can say "Start Motorcyle" to begin playing my motorcycle playlist.
I just noticed this comment and am wondering if you are using your bluetooth headset while on a motorcycle?

I ride a bike myself and generally find it difficult to use even a high quality BT headset (helmet integrated or not) to the same quality.

The wind and noise on the bike are just too extreme for voice recognition to generally work adequately (even though you may be able to talk to the caller ok).

If indeed this is what you are doing, i would definitely look into the best BT headset you can afford.

Vragor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalih View Post
I just noticed this comment and am wondering if you are using your bluetooth headset while on a motorcycle?

I ride a bike myself and generally find it difficult to use even a high quality BT headset (helmet integrated or not) to the same quality.

The wind and noise on the bike are just too extreme for voice recognition to generally work adequately (even though you may be able to talk to the caller ok).

If indeed this is what you are doing, i would definitely look into the best BT headset you can afford.
I use my phone in about 4 ways. Just standing there with no headset, I push the PTT and say the name clearly. It matches about one out of 4 times despite trying to match pronunciation and some fiddling with names. "Start Motorcycle" works flawlessly.

I also use a motorola 820 stereo headset at work (to drown out the various conversations). It matches a little bit better, but not much. "Start Motorcycle" works flawlessly.

I have a handsfree bluetooth setup in my car (motorola T605) and it matches more like 1 out of 6. I almost never get a match and hardly try anymore. "Start Motorcycle" works flawlessly.

I use the phone on my bike with an Autocom intercom system and a hacked up Jabra SP100 bluetooth setup. I've tried to dial a few times but have never gotten a match. I answer calls and can hear and speak fine. Even though I don't use stereo bluetooth on the bike, I have said "start motorcycle" and it works about 50% of the time. Autocom is a really good system.

Vragor
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Use the nickname field to improve recognition accuracy
You can name contacts with nicknames such as Home, Mom, or Dentist. After doing this, you can call by simply saying Call Home, etc. If you have a contact that you consistently cannot access, try adding a nick name that looks the way that you might pronounce it.
I wonder if they are referring to the "File As" field. I can try it and see.

But with so many variations on so many sounds, I don't hold out much hope for any search that inclues all contacts. I have things like "Tri Lakes Trash Disposal" and "Swan Mountain Resort" to give a couple examples. There's just too much to match.

bengalih
Old
Banned - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I wonder if they are referring to the "File As" field. I can try it and see.

But with so many variations on so many sounds, I don't hold out much hope for any search that inclues all contacts. I have things like "Tri Lakes Trash Disposal" and "Swan Mountain Resort" to give a couple examples. There's just too much to match.
It sounds like you have alot of entries with multiple words, not just "First, Last"
There is a registry entry in the following location:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Voice Command\Speed
The value is ComplexResponseSpeed

I find no information on this attribute concerning MSVC specifically, but the following information can be found regarding this attribute with microsoft's SAPI interface in general:

Quote:
This indicates the amount of silence that the engine will look for before completing a recognition. This attribute is used when the recognition is ambiguous. For example, in the case of a CFG which has two sentences: 1) new game please and 2) new game, an ambiguous recognition would be "new game." This property's value must be greater than the ResponseSpeed value.
My default value is 1100 and I believe that is in millisecconds. I think the range is from 0 - 10,000 ms. It is possible that increasing this value may improve recognition on these multiple word entries.

Short of that, I don't see what else can help. I think that the file applex.dat is the lexicon of words that the recognizer uses. By creating your own lexicon you should be able to add phrases that would improve recognition. Unforunately, although I have done work with the SAPI API through scripting, I don't know how to create and compile a new lexicon.

Maybe there is a developer out there who could add more insight. I have a feeling that the lexicon format would be the same on a PC as it is on a PPC, as they both use SAPI 5.

t0mmyr
Old
Thanks Meter 159
how do i make my phone ring aloud & vibrate but at the same time only announce caller in bt headset?

kgbyr3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default custom voice tags

Hi,
i was wondering if there is any way to make custom voice tags in this voice commander,
Many of my contacts are not in english and therefor the voice commander can't recognize them.

Can i record my oun tags for these?

Thanks

BenOggo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default button on wired headset for voice command

thanks for the great article. What i miss, is some reference towards the button on the wired headset. I think nobody has managed to do it yet: get the button on the wired headset to trigger voice command. So some statement regarding this would be good in the article. However, if anybody did manage to do so, inform me.

bengalih
Old
Banned - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmyr View Post
how do i make my phone ring aloud & vibrate but at the same time only announce caller in bt headset?
If you read through the guide you will see that this is not possible.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe