[XT860][CM9] Working 3G data... finally!

Search This thread

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
dasilva333,

Here's what I suggest you do:

1) Download Willis111's "Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized.zip" update file from here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/188972752/Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized.zip

2) Download my modified updater-script for Willis111's update you just downloaded in step 1). Here's the link:
http://db.tt/2VwIkKi7

3) Open up Willis111's "Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized.zip" file you downloaded in step 1) on your PC in whichever archive program you use. (I like WinRAR or 7zip). Navigate into the "META-INF" folder, then "com", then "google", then "android" folder. You should see two files, "update-binary" and "updater-script". Delete "updater-script".

4) Copy the "updater-script" I have modified that you downloaded in step 2) into "Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized.zip" in the folder /META-INF/com/google/android so that it has replaced the original "updater-script" that you deleted in step 3). You should now see two files in the /META-INF/com/google/android/ folder, "update-binary" and "updater-script", except now the "updater-script" file is my modified version and not the original one.

5) Copy your modified "Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized.zip" onto your sdcard from your PC, and rename it to something like "Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized-systemorig.zip", doesn't matter what you call it but this is just so you can distinguish the file you've just modified from any unmodified versions you may have on your sdcard.

6) If you haven't already done so, uninstall any custom recoveries/Safestraps and install my tweaked version of Hashcode's Safestrap, which you can find here:
xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=857925&d=1326635618

7) Download Hashcode's latest release of CM9 as well as the XT860 patch, and save to your sdcard:

CM9 Alpha #6
http://www.hash-of-codes.com/files/cm9-droid3-20120130-1730.zip

XT860 Patch
http://bit.ly/Ah5b6d

8) Reboot into my modified Safestrap. You should make a nandroid backup before going forward.

9) In Safestrap, perform a factory reset to wipe your data and cache partitions.

10) In Safestrap, go to the "Advanced" menu and choose the option to install a .zip from your sdcard. Choose the .zip that you modified and copied to your sdcard in step 5), if you followed my directions verbatim it will be called "Bell-2.3.6_-_Optimized-systemorig.zip".

Note that this will change the files on your /system partition, the original /system located at /dev/block/mmcblk1p21, NOT your safe system which is actually your /preinstall partition. This is to ensure you are running the updated 2.3.6 Bell ROM on your /system. Safestrap will ask you twice to confirm you know what you are doing, so accept both confirmations and it should begin updating.

11) Once that update completes, go to the "safe boot" menu and switch over to your Safe System. (Don't do the quick toggle, just to be safe).

12) Once you've successfully enabled Safe System, the colors should change from yellow to green. Now, go to "mounts and storage" and mount /system, if it isn't already mounted. Then select "format system" and accept the confirmations.

13) When it's done formatting /system, perform another factory reset from the main menu to format your /data and /cache partitions. Now go to "install zip from sdcard" from the main menu (NOT the one in the "Advanced" menu) and install Hashcode's CM9 .zip you downloaded in step 7.

14) When that .zip finishes updating, go back to the "install zip from sdcard" menu again (again, NOT the one in Advanced) and install the XT860 patch .zip file.

15) Once that finishes installing, you need to switch back to your non-safe system by going into the "safe boot" menu. When you're back to the non-safe system (colors should be yellow again) power off from Safestrap and turn your phone on.

16) The phone should boot into the stock Bell ROM. You'll have to reinstall my modified Safestrap once you boot up and finish setting up your phone. Reboot into Safestrap once you've reinstalled it.

17) Now, in Safestrap go to the "safe boot" menu and enable Safe System again. When it finishes, the colors should be green again. That's it, you should now reboot and let it boot into CM9

Try following those steps and let me know if it still doesn't work for you! Good luck!

Reactions: static416

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
That's a hot writeup Rick#2. I'm sure many will find that very useful. Thanks to you, hash, willis, endo and everyone in the xt860 community for keeping this going

Sent from my XT860

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Rick#2, I recall something about safestrap not working with bell 2.3.4, but I don't recall why. And I know custom roms always bootlooped. Is willis's bell 2.3.6 gonna work? Or would he be better off removing any bootstrap/safestrap files and taking the official OTA via about phone>system updates?

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
You bet, Willis111's update works great. I've installed it on my original /system partition and used it as a base for CM9 without any problems at all.

dasilva333

Apr 1, 2006
Miami, FL
For those experiencing multiple FCs on the boot up in ICS:
Go to: "Settings" -> "More.." -> "Mobile networks" -> Checkmark "Data roaming" and reboot.

Apparently the default settings for CM have changed and there's a bug I need to fix revolving around the notification telling you that data has ended because you're roaming. It's generating about 10 notifications a second and then Android kills the phone process.

Let me know if that helps stop the FCs for now. it's not a permanent solution as I don't want people to have to allow themselves to data roam.

I cant seem to be able to get 3G to work on CM9 with the patch provided by hash or rick#2, I tried Data Roaming and I tried various settings on my build.prop I've tried going into the Dialer and making sure its set to Gsm Auto among other settings without any luck. I've managed to get some logcat output while the phone is trying to connect maybe someone can help me with more information:

W/ThrottleService( 308): unable to find stats for iface ppp0
D/dalvikvm( 426): GC_CONCURRENT freed 620K, 7% free 11353K/12167K, paused 5ms+2ms
D/dalvikvm( 426): GC_CONCURRENT freed 657K, 7% free 11382K/12231K, paused 5ms+3ms
E/MetadataRetrieverClient( 220): failed to extract an album art
D/dalvikvm( 426): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 571K, 8% free 11422K/12359K, paused 62ms
D/dalvikvm( 426): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 308K, 8% free 11413K/12359K, paused 64ms
D/PhoneApp( 476): mReceiver: ACTION_ANY_DATA_CONNECTION_STATE_CHANGED
D/PhoneApp( 476): - state: CONNECTING
D/PhoneApp( 476): - reason: simLoaded
D/PhoneApp( 476): - state: DISCONNECTED
D/NotificationMgr( 476): hideDataDisconnectedRoaming()...

I have a XT860
Baseband Version: U_03.3B.00R
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-g9f70789
Under Status:
Mobile Network Type: HSPA:11
Service State: In Service
Roaming: Not Roaming
Mobile network state: Disconnected

Thanks for your time your help would be apreciated

dasilva333

Apr 1, 2006
Miami, FL
Have you set up your APN?

Wow Rick your the man! Alright so what happened was when I originally got there the APN was already there so AT&T wasn't checked so I just checked it without verified the settings inside, as I wrote this response I typed out all the settings realizing the password wasn't preset. Entered the password and viola it works now =D. Thank you so much I wasted so much time trying everything else. I'm currently getting a 3G icon and the following is a speed test screenshot. thanks again.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/138892036.png

boazal

Dec 19, 2011
OnePlus 9
Hi
i'm from the part of the world that uses in multi-language BIDI + RTL,
for us ICS is huge blessing.

therefore i tried "CM9/ICS for Droid 3" from:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1425026
and "XT860 Sub-Patch" from:
http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/p/...nloads_24.html

but... no data

after that i tried "Android 4.0.4[Beta #3]" from:
http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1497884
and "XT860 Sub-Patch"

but unfortunately, in both cases the same result NO DATA
(needless to i format, wipe data, cache dalvik and re-wipe all again and again)

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
You may need to make a few changes to your /system/build.prop file. Here's a copy of what I'm currently using; it is a pretty good base for you to test and see if it helps:

http://db.tt/2yWRAYg2

Try replacing your original build.prop with this one, again in /system. Let me know if this works!

Reactions: boazal

boazal

Dec 19, 2011
OnePlus 9
its work,

ONLY if you leave the default APN settings (what come with the zip file) you can get Data,very slow connection but still you have it

if i try to set to my carrier settings, the data connection disappear...

Last edited:

static416

Oct 9, 2010
Toronto
dasilva333,

Here's what I suggest you do:

Try following those steps and let me know if it still doesn't work for you! Good luck!

Worked well for me. CM9 seems pretty awesome. Far better than Liberty IMO.

Key detail: Make REALLY sure you have the correct version of Safestrap that he mentions in this post. I tried it with an older version and didn't have the "install from zip" under "Advanced". This led to another unrelated problem and I had to start all over.

The-Captain

Recognized Themer / Retired Forum Moderator
May 18, 2011
I have the Verizon Droid 3, but your work was great on this. Nice work man!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I finally got 3G data working in Hashcode's port of ICS to the Droid 3/XT860. I'm currently using the isuacell (Mexico) revision on a Bell XT860; I wasn't able to get ICS to boot up on the current Bell update, although I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked. I'm fairly certain it'll work on other software updates such as the ones from Argentina/Brazil, and possibly the ME863 but I don't have the time to test it myself, let me know if it works for you if you're running any of these updates.

Nevertheless, I got it working pretty easily. I don't have time to do a full writeup right now but it was exactly what I suspected earlier, a minor issue in the Android framework causing an exception that would disconnect 3G data a few seconds after a connection to the APN was successfully made. That, combined with Motorola's RIL library from the isuacell firmware and a few build.prop tweaks were all it took, and so far it is running pretty good.

Only major thing I've noticed so far is that the cell status indicator only seems to indicate either perfect reception or none, no in between, but for now I'm pretty stoked this is working as I can finally use ICS on a daily basis instead of switching back and forth a dozen times a day.

Here's a link to a .zip to be installed via Safestrap. Be sure to perform a factory reset and to be safe, mount system and format it in the "mounts and storage" area before installing the zip to ensure a clean install. Also, as Hashcode had mentioned in his release thread, don't let it restore your old settings when you run through the Setup Wizard on the first boot. Enjoy, and be sure to thank Hashcode for all the effort he's put into making our phones even better!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22632665/CM9_XT860.zip
    md5=6302b1733777ad5d7e3d5483d9291591
    176820984 bytes

---------------------------------------

EDIT: I was lazy earlier and just posted the link to the full update, I finally got around to releasing a significantly smaller, more sensible patch:

http://db.tt/HEbusNM3
    xt860_ics_patch_01_30_2012-safe_system-signed.zip
    md5=60dc2db347c7310d0f5e51b0e02b9952
    4231015 bytes

I recommend flashing Hashcode's Alpha 5 release, then doing a factory reset before installing this update in Safestrap. I can make one for the non-safe system users out there too, just didn't bother but it'd take two seconds.

Also, check out my github repos for the changes I made to get 3G data working. (You'll probably laugh when you see the change to android_frameworks_base):

http://github.com/buddyrich

I've kind of mimicked Hashcode to keep things simple; my changes are in the branch "ics-xt860". The easiest way to compile it all from scratch is like this: (Assuming you're in your working directory)

1) repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics
    2) cd .repo
    3) git clone git://github.com/buddyrich/android_local_solana.git
    4) cd android_local_solana
    5) git checkout ics-xt860
    5) cp local_manifest.xml ../
    6) rm -f -r android_local_solana
    7) repo sync -j24
    8) Place this file in the root of your working directory, eg: ~/android/system/ : http://db.tt/1HpM2m6r
    9) vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
    10) . build/envsetup.sh
    11) brunch solana
    UPDATE: ok, I re-added the XT860 patch to the blog:
    http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/p/android-downloads.html

This one is only 200k. I removed the framework.jar and added the new build.prop change instead. So it's a lib file + build.prop. And it should be compatible with ANY future ICS update as well.

Let me know if you have any problems with it. I didn't sign it, but I did put up the md5sum.
    Hey Congrats on setting this up Rick#2!

Get me a patch of just the changed files and I'll host it under the builds so that people can download both files at the same time as new updates happen.

You've single-handedly brought ICS to the XT860!
    I think there have been a few users banging their heads on this one lol. Tyvm for the smaller patch, figure I might give it a shot against cm7 if I can find the build to download somewhere and remember what rom it's built off etc.

I actually had the same idea. I'm pretty sure I have cm7 on my computer somewhere still. I'll check later on and if you need I'll upload it wherever. As I recall cm7 was pretty close to complete

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium