Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 52,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows 8 sucks for desktops....

Tip us?

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Lol, a shoddy video of a picture made by someone who can't count? Lol when I get to play with it for real ill let you know if it's any good or not, until then your just buying in to the whole anti ms FUD, its different yes, better? WE Don't know!! At lest try an be open minded once you get used to it you may love it, if you hate it after you've used it then fair enough but right now it's pointless saying how bad it is, it serves bo one cept to continue the spread of FUD

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers

link68759
Old
Thanks Meter 55
For those who hate it, stick with 7 and never use 8. That's all there is to it. Hell, my laptop may have 7 on it but my primary desktop OS is still XP (it's older, XP is slimmer and therefore runs faster).

8 with metro is coming whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Don't use it; your feedback is just wasted space.
Current Device: Lumia 820.
Previous Device: Titan I
HD2 and a number of other WM6 devices.

kainppc6700
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by link68759 View Post
For those who hate it, stick with 7 and never use 8. That's all there is to it. Hell, my laptop may have 7 on it but my primary desktop OS is still XP (it's older, XP is slimmer and therefore runs faster).

8 with metro is coming whether you like it or not. Don't like it? Don't use it; your feedback is just wasted space.
True. With xp's long usable lifespan and the excellent reception of Win7, I think it's safe to say that we could easily hold out until Windows 9 for it to get fixed up. As for the feedback thing, I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I mean feedback from customers is how microsoft know what sucks and what doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza9075 View Post
and you know this how? If you have a customer preview link then please share so we can all try it

ThePirateBay.org?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerking View Post
Win8 lasted all of 30 minutes on my pc before I decided that pile of microsoft doodoo will never touch one of my HDD"s ever again.
At last... More words of wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_Eagle View Post
Don't even feed the troll guys....
One small opinion can't shake off the whole strong system that Microsoft has built in us about Windows Phone 7.
Keep telling yourself that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza9075 View Post
I don't think you know what your talking about.

Also, I'm very careful about what I
Call Windows PHONE 7 ( windows mobile 7 existed but was scraped) I don't compare it to Windows mobile because they are different beasts, WM was (is) a pocket pc, WP is a phone,

With your general lack of understanding and your trolling attitude I suspect you've never used WP, or wm for that matter, your fairly young an your first phone was an android. At least try an be constructive with your posts, no ones telling you to agree one way or another, but if your not able to construct a rational INFORMED debate then you should not return here

Ah you seem to be off on that one. My first "smart" platform was a Palm OS Palm m500 (no phone). I moved on to Windows Mobile 2003 (again, no phone, an iPAQ 4150), then to the famous HTC Diamond with Windows Mobile 6. I might still even be on that if it weren't for some unfortunate events (described in numerous other threads), so I'm not that "retarded kid that got the free phone that mommy and daddy pay for".

I like to get the most out of my mobile equipment, and in my brief inperson visit with WM7, I did not feel that I was in control of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by circleofomega View Post
I somewhere agree with you and also disagree...i had a HD7 when it launched, uses it for a year and got tired of it...no wallpaper, so access to system files...phew...in the end i almost wondered do i really owe this device or not...anyways, but the OS per say isn't bad...its snappy, fast and v v responsive...i will agree iOS is slightly better, but i hate Apple as I think they every product is a daylight robbery...IMHO. Am on RaZr now and I am happy...

And since you mentioned BB OS, here is something to laugh on while we all see it die a slow death, the shortest joke in the world - Blackberry Smartphone...

Sent from my Droid RaZr.
True, the BlackBerry OS still seems to offer more choices and functionality than Wm7 though. What was that touchscreen BB device with the "clicky" screen? That thing was actually pretty school.

Quote:
It's windows PHONE 7, not windows mobile 7. If you're trying to play Mr. know-it-all and look down on other people, best get your facts right first.

Let's try to steer this thread to a more civilized discussion, eh? Windows Phone 7 is classified as a smartphone, that's not going to change just because you don't like it. Enough of this petty tit for tat.
Calm down now, no need to grouch :), where's your Saint Valentine's day spirit?

- 2B

link68759
Old
(Last edited by link68759; 10th February 2012 at 04:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 55
Well yes, feedback is how microsoft knows what works and what doesn't.

However, they designed 8 and metro based on user statistics (how people use 7) in addition to feedback. MS lets the data write their OS. The majority of windows users have spoken, MS is going ahead with this, so saying 'it sucks' is a fart in the wind.

More than likely, resistance to interface changes are not because they are bad, but because people don't like having to readjust to the way things work. Doesn't matter what the change is, they'll still hate it simply because they aren't used to it.

In response to your comment on WP7, that you didn't feel you had control over it: yes, that's by design. I too love to control the heck out of my HD2, but when transitioning to WP7 you must take a different mindset as well. Windows Mobile 6 is something you play with, customize, do whatever you want with. I spent HOURS just configuring the interface, changing this, modding that... However, nearly all of my time spent using WM6 was spent playing with the system. WP7 takes a different approach, and it is very effective if you embrace it: you're not supposed to play with it. Your phone displays the information you want to see as quickly as possible, then once you have that information, you put your phone away. No messing around with the interface, no dicking around in the settings: it is a transparent gateway to what you need, not an opaque wall that you can spend hours rearranging the bricks on. But some people are so used to playing with the brick wall that it's hard to give up control... and that is where you are I believe. It doesn't suck, you just don't agree with the design philosophy (less using more doing). That's OK, not everyone is going to like it.

BBOS on the other hand fails in every aspect

olivierballot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello everyone,

I have been using Windows 8 Preview from the beginning on my desktop, and I am very please with it. Once you get use to it, I think it is great. I have an old PCI Wi-Fi card that I cannot use with Vista nor 7, but Windows 8 installed it without any problems.

I can't wait to use the Beta version at the end of February. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal opinion not because it is a Microsoft product.

Magnesus
Old
(Last edited by Magnesus; 10th February 2012 at 11:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Wrong. The ini files could be
a) fragmented
b) not fragmented, but two or more used by one program might be in separate places on the HDD
c) fragmented and two or more are in separate places.

Registry is always defragmented and always in one place. This is a more reliable and generally favorable solution.
Sorry, I can't agree with you. Maybe if registry was better implemented, but the way it always was it was a disaster comparing to other OSes solutions. And if such small thing as ini file is fragmented, then the file system has some serious issues (as far as I know NTFS shouldn't have such problems).

efjay
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainppc6700 View Post
True. With xp's long usable lifespan and the excellent reception of Win7, I think it's safe to say that we could easily hold out until Windows 9 for it to get fixed up. As for the feedback thing, I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I mean feedback from customers is how microsoft know what sucks and what doesn't

Do you really think Microsoft is going to backtrack from Metro in later iterations of Windows after pushing it as their unified interface? If you are waiting for Windows to be "fixed up", as in Metro no longer present I think you may be holding on to Windows 7 for a long time. But if it works for you, that's good. Doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 is here to stay and future versions are going to be different from what we've been used to for the past 3 decades.
Dell Venue Pro, it's alive!

link68759
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Sorry, I can't agree with you. Maybe if registry was better implemented, but the way it always was it was a disaster comparing to other OSes solutions. And if such small thing as ini file is fragmented, then the file system has some serious issues (as far as I know NTFS shouldn't have such problems).
You just don't know how file systems work. Also, you don't seem to know how the registry works. Why is it a disaster? As I and others have mentioned, it has performance benefits. The only thing wrong with it is it's rather daunting and not quite user friendly. But it's not supposed to be, so that isn't a real fault.

Strike_Eagle
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Keep telling yourself that...
Wow... so you are telling me that i am a troll?
I hardly had ever posted in this thread since i know a troll like you have nothing to do but pissing people off.
You have had my words , you can go and say **** if you want. I still use "Windows Phone 7" , not an imagination "Windows Mobile 7" that you created yourself.
Device.Boot();
await Carrier.UnlockSim();
finally {
SocialMedia.Post(" I'm Awesome! #wpdev");
}

kainppc6700
Old
(Last edited by kainppc6700; 11th February 2012 at 07:53 PM.) Reason: changed the writeup a little bit
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 28
Arrow HOWDYA LIKE ME NOW *CHUCKLE* Reply

Quote:
Well yes, feedback is how microsoft knows what works and what doesn't.

However, they designed 8 and metro based on user statistics (how people use 7) in addition to feedback. MS lets the data write their OS. The majority of windows users have spoken, MS is going ahead with this, so saying 'it sucks' is a fart in the wind.

More than likely, resistance to interface changes are not because they are bad, but because people don't like having to readjust to the way things work. Doesn't matter what the change is, they'll still hate it simply because they aren't used to it.
So you're saying they designed Windows 8 based on the "feedback" of "user statistics" and found that most people who used Windows 7 preferred to do so through the obscured lens of web based tiles?

Quote:
In response to your comment on WP7, that you didn't feel you had control over it: yes, that's by design. I too love to control the heck out of my HD2, but when transitioning to WP7 you must take a different mindset as well. Windows Mobile 6 is something you play with, customize, do whatever you want with. I spent HOURS just configuring the interface, changing this, modding that... However, nearly all of my time spent using WM6 was spent playing with the system. WP7 takes a different approach, and it is very effective if you embrace it: you're not supposed to play with it. Your phone displays the information you want to see as quickly as possible, then once you have that information, you put your phone away. No messing around with the interface, no dicking around in the settings: it is a transparent gateway to what you need, not an opaque wall that you can spend hours rearranging the bricks on. But some people are so used to playing with the brick wall that it's hard to give up control... and that is where you are I believe. It doesn't suck, you just don't agree with the design philosophy (less using more doing). That's OK, not everyone is going to like it.

BBOS on the other hand fails in every aspect
And that was one of their advertising campaigns. The problem is, there's a line between "too much control" and "too little control to be useful", and unfortunately WM7 goes way past the "too little control to be useful" marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
Do you really think Microsoft is going to backtrack from Metro in later iterations of Windows after pushing it as their unified interface?
If sales are poor enough, then yes I do actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post
If you are waiting for Windows to be "fixed up", as in Metro no longer present I think you may be holding on to Windows 7 for a long time. But if it works for you, that's good. Doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 is here to stay and future versions are going to be different from what we've been used to for the past 3 decades.
I don't think so honestly. When people complained about how much Vista sucked and threw enough catchup packets at it, MS fixed it up and gave us Windows 7. Then again, that was shortly before Microsoft went all retarded on us, but still, they'll do what they can to keep selling.

Quote:
Wow... so you are telling me that i am a troll?
Sure.

Quote:
I hardly had ever posted in this thread since i know a troll like you have nothing to do but pissing people off.
Well that's not the goal... it could be a side effect of another problem on your end of the cable . Why not just stop being grouchy though? Put a smile on and show your support for XDA DEVELOPERS. Do you think visitors want to see posts like that? Naaah, I didn't think so either; sometimes we need to stop and take a little "reality check" to see if what we're saying is really benefiting mankind in any way. Have a little "class". Say, wanna be my friend on XDA DEVELOPERS?

- 2B